Why become a member? ×

Courier points system and courier issues

paul, the

Delberthot, I'll put in a +1 and -1 for the relative companies as it sounds like you're using citylink in the present.

---

What's the deal with citylink? Do you have to have an account which you must continually use (eg. at least one delivery a week)? - Or is this only when posting outside mainland UK?

Could someone please clarify so that I can put it in the notes.

---

[i]Updated.[/i]

Well I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong!

It appears that my defense of 'senditnow.com' and their level of insurance cover has been misinformed and mis sold! I rang them several months ago when I was in my Mustaffah Fender phase and I was buying and selling basses to fund my latest folly. They stated that basses/guitars were covered but the case in which they were shipped was not (fair does) and if I took out extra insurance of course the instrument would be insured but not the case as it was considered packaging. I subsequently received/sent at least 3 expensive instruments through them.

In the process of my latest 'want' I thought I'd look at this sticky and weigh up options, I rang Sendit just to double check the cover and lo and behold even though the exclusions still just lists the case as not covered I was informed that even if I took out extra insurance I'd not be covered for more than the basic £150! 'Since when?' I asked, 'About the last 6 months', during the period I was using them. The robbing tw*ts have taken the extra premium from me for inflated cover even though I'd not be covered. Nowhere does it say that if you take out extra cover (which is offered n the booking process) will you not be covered for musical instruments.

Needless to say I'll be submitting a claim for a refund of the monies paid for cover that wasn't applicable and I'll be submitting a complaint to the appropriate ombudsman.

From my experience with the shiftless chiselers I'd recommend steering well clear.

-1 (or more) for 'senditnow'/ParcelForce

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='71708' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:40 PM']Well I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong!

It appears that my defense of 'senditnow.com' and their level of insurance cover has been misinformed and mis sold! I rang them several months ago when I was in my Mustaffah Fender phase and I was buying and selling basses to fund my latest folly. They stated that basses/guitars were covered but the case in which they were shipped was not (fair does) and if I took out extra insurance of course the instrument would be insured but not the case as it was considered packaging. I subsequently received/sent at least 3 expensive instruments through them.

In the process of my latest 'want' I thought I'd look at this sticky and weigh up options, I rang Sendit just to double check the cover and lo and behold even though the exclusions still just lists the case as not covered I was informed that even if I took out extra insurance I'd not be covered for more than the basic £150! 'Since when?' I asked, 'About the last 6 months', during the period I was using them. The robbing tw*ts have taken the extra premium from me for inflated cover even though I'd not be covered. Nowhere does it say that if you take out extra cover (which is offered n the booking process) will you not be covered for musical instruments.

Needless to say I'll be submitting a claim for a refund of the monies paid for cover that wasn't applicable and I'll be submitting a complaint to the appropriate ombudsman.

From my experience with the shiftless chiselers I'd recommend steering well clear.

-1 (or more) for 'senditnow'/ParcelForce[/quote]

After discovering SenditNow was Parcel Force I called my contact (made at the very end of my smashed bass story) in the Chief Executive Officers complaints department about this. She went into the senditnow site and agreed it was misleading. She also said they had already had complaints about this very subject and that it would be addressed as soon as possible.
Warwickhunt, PM me and I'll give you her direct contact info. I am sure she will sort out a refund for you.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='71708' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:40 PM']Well I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong!

-1 (or more) for 'senditnow'/ParcelForce[/quote]

I lost £45 in insurance money on a bass with Parcel Force. I (wrongfully I guess) assumed that when I paid for full cover I would get full cover.

I'm normally a stickler for T&Cs so I deserve it in my opinion. Still, £45 needlessly gone into someone elses pocket.

SenditNow will be up with -1 in a jiffy.

[quote name='paul, the' post='71846' date='Oct 9 2007, 09:21 PM']I lost £45 in insurance money on a bass with Parcel Force. I (wrongfully I guess) assumed that when I paid for full cover I would get full cover.

I'm normally a stickler for T&Cs so I deserve it in my opinion. Still, £45 needlessly gone into someone elses pocket.

SenditNow will be up with -1 in a jiffy.[/quote]

Well you could argue that hiding the insurance limitation under a heading of "Prevent movement of items in transit
" in the packaging instructions counts as being deliberately misleading ...

PM me if you'd like my contact's name .. She may be able to get you a refund if you can prove you paid it out..

[quote name='OldGit' post='71896' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:20 PM']"Prevent movement of items in transit"[/quote]

What does that mean with regards to insurance?

If you help me get it back OG, I'll give it to a charity of your choosing. I'll have to declare myself royally screwed over if I'm going to forgive myself though.

I used the PF site, not senditnow.

[quote name='Viajero' post='68253' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:07 PM']I recently sent my Hartke head to Wales with the Post Office / ParcelForce and, I believe, it turned up safe and sound. That was a fairly large, 20¡odd kilo parcel with 150 quid insurace (undervalued slightly to get a cheaper postage rate), and it cost 21.39.

Good value, I thought, and it turned up on time, tracked, and seemingly in good condition. Jase can give you the story on how it arrived, I would think, but from my end I have no complaints. One thing worth noting, however, is that the 30kg individual parcel weight limit drops to 15kg if you take it to the Post Office rather than have it collected.

+1s all round, I think.[/quote]

No problems at all, arrived safe and sound, on time 9.30 am I think it was. As Viajero said, Good value!

I may be using them shortly to deliver a bass.

If the deal comes off I'll post the results.

[quote name='Jase' post='72185' date='Oct 10 2007, 02:41 PM']I may be using them shortly to deliver a bass.[/quote]

You should be Ok as long as its worth less than £150 and is in a case which itself is then packaged well in a cardboard box full of bubble wrap etc.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='60981' date='Sep 15 2007, 09:10 PM']Fully comprehensive up to £13,000 was an extra £5. There didn't appear to be any clauses in the terms and conditions that would prove to be a problem, but I only gave a cursory reading (I was looking for the musical instrument clause that Old Git (?) encountered).

I'll be selling another guitar on ebay soon, planning to list it tomorrow. That will go via APC and I'll ask for a copy of the T&C then.[/quote]

OK now I'm getting really frustrated!

I'm not going to use ParcelForce/senditnow so I went for the highly recommended APC. I got a quote (which had to be done via email NOT verbally) £15 however it stated 'not insured', I rang to ask what the insurance cost would be and despite speaking to a manager I was categorically told that I can not insure my parcel... WTF! Business account holders can but not Joe Public. I asked if I could open an account as I might want to send a couple things over the next few weeks, 'not worth it, thanks. Bye'!

Now I realise couriers must be rubbing their hands together over the strike but what do you have to do to get a bass delivered in the UK?

Sorry but that is a big -1 for APC from me.

[quote name='OldGit' post='72203' date='Oct 10 2007, 03:16 PM']You should be Ok as long as its worth less than £150 and is in a case which itself is then packaged well in a cardboard box full of bubble wrap etc.[/quote]

Cheers OG, It's in a hard case, I'll get some heavy duty cardboard and bubble wrap. It's worth more than £150 though.

[quote name='Jase' post='72283' date='Oct 10 2007, 05:35 PM']Cheers OG, It's in a hard case, I'll get some heavy duty cardboard and bubble wrap. It's worth more than £150 though.[/quote]

Then I'd recommend you don't use Parcelforce. If anything goes wrong you'll have no claim. It clearly states on their website that £150 is the maximum insurable value for musical instruments.
[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?catId=25800694&mediaId=load105018"]The Parcelforce web page that says £150 is the maximum you can insure a musical instrument for[/url] .. Read the paragraph headed "Prevent movement of items in transit".

With so many other options, why take the risk?

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Delberthot' post='69258' date='Oct 3 2007, 09:19 PM']wow. I can't believe all the negatives for Citylink.[/quote]

I work for a company that uses citylink , we had problems with them on a daily basis and had all kinds of problems with them from damaged goods , goods delivered to wrong addresses , goods smashed to bits, goods lost, I have been shocked by their incompetency. TNT and UPS on the other hand I have nothing but praise for but Citylink are shockingly bad , its a wonder they are still in business.

Just wanted to add a massive +1 for APC!!!

They've just been brilliant helping to sort out shipping a cab for me that none of the other couriers would touch because of the weight of it. Not only that, I've been able to speak to them directly without going through an awful call-handling system that takes ages and costs time and money.

Everyone I spoke to there was friendly and helpful and that alone made such a difference... :)

So a big thanks to them at APC and an even bigger 'no thanks' to all the others!

Nik

[quote name='dlloyd' post='59873' date='Sep 13 2007, 01:53 PM']This should be a sticky.

[b]APC Overnight[/b]

Used them three times.

First for a Trace Elliot 1153 cabinet... 20 kg or so, £22 or thereabouts, overnight delivery to Portsmouth... didn't quite get there overnight, due to me sending it late afternoon, but still gets a +1
Second for a Trace Elliot 7210 (which I note the buyer has up for sale at double the price they bought it at and aren't mentioning the work that's been done on it, but that's by the by).
Overnight delivery to Hampshire 40 kg, cost £30. Economy would have been £5 less. Another +1.

Sent a very expensive acoustic guitar this morning. Less than 10 kg, overnight delivery cost £15.86. Paranoia/sense made me insure it for its full new replacement value of £2000, at a cost of £5.87 (which would insure it for up to £13,500). It's a bit soon to give them any points, but I can't imagine anything going wrong.

So that's +2, pending +3.

For those who are into such things, they also have online tracking, which qualifies them for the Paypal sellers protection.

Friendly guys too. Carried the amp from the car for me without me asking.[/quote]

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='72552' date='Oct 11 2007, 01:20 AM']Just wanted to add a massive +1 for APC!!!

They've just been brilliant helping to sort out shipping a cab for me that none of the other couriers would touch because of the weight of it. Not only that, I've been able to speak to them directly without going through an awful call-handling system that takes ages and costs time and money.

Everyone I spoke to there was friendly and helpful and that alone made such a difference... :)

So a big thanks to them at APC and an even bigger 'no thanks' to all the others!

Nik[/quote]

I'm assuming you aren't a business user and don't have an account, so were you made aware that your item wasn't insured?

This is a serious omission that people have to be aware of. I was stunned when I was categorically told that it couldn't be insured and this was confirmed by a manager!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='72567' date='Oct 11 2007, 07:23 AM']I'm assuming you aren't a business user and don't have an account, so were you made aware that your item wasn't insured?

This is a serious omission that people have to be aware of. I was stunned when I was categorically told that it couldn't be insured and this was confirmed by a manager![/quote]
No I wasn't told that so I'll go back to them to find out why. Are you saying that if you're a business user, your items are insured but they're not if you're a one-off user like I was?

Thanks for that info...

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='72594' date='Oct 11 2007, 08:36 AM']No I wasn't told that so I'll go back to them to find out why. Are you saying that if you're a business user, your items are insured but they're not if you're a one-off user like I was?

Thanks for that info...

Nik[/quote]
I just checked on the insurance and have been told categorically that there is £13.00 insurance cover for every kilo delivered. So a speaker cab weighing 50 kg is covered for £650.00

Special items like guitars can be discussed on a case by case basis, but an extra £1000 insured value costs an extra £10 which isn't too bad in comparison to other couriers. There are things they will not cover so in each case, they advise you to discuss your item with them.

As well as all that, they are cheaper than Parcelforce too, so I'm still happy to give them a big thumbs up!

[quote name='OldGit' post='72412' date='Oct 10 2007, 09:35 PM']Then I'd recommend you don't use Parcelforce. If anything goes wrong you'll have no claim. It clearly states on their website that £150 is the maximum insurable value for musical instruments.
[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?catId=25800694&mediaId=load105018"]The Parcelforce web page that says £150 is the maximum you can insure a musical instrument for[/url] .. Read the paragraph headed "Prevent movement of items in transit".

With so many other options, why take the risk?[/quote]

It's a good point actually OG, I'd prefer if I was buying a bass to have it insured for the full amont, any recommendations?

[quote name='Jase' post='72636' date='Oct 11 2007, 08:52 AM']It's a good point actually OG, I'd prefer if I was buying a bass to have it insured for the full amont, any recommendations?[/quote]

Well that's what this whole thread is about. Have a look at message number one where Paul is keeping score.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='72626' date='Oct 11 2007, 09:39 AM']I just checked on the insurance and have been told categorically that there is £13.00 insurance cover for every kilo delivered. So a speaker cab weighing 50 kg is covered for £650.00

Special items like guitars can be discussed on a case by case basis, but an extra £1000 insured value costs an extra £10 which isn't too bad in comparison to other couriers. There are things they will not cover so in each case, they advise you to discuss your item with them.

As well as all that, they are cheaper than Parcelforce too, so I'm still happy to give them a big thumbs up![/quote]

In that case someone somewhere within APC is telling lies and doesn't want our custom!

Below is a copy of my email and their reply, note the 'this is not insurance' which lead me to ask about insurance. Obviously I've omitted the addresses for privacy reasons.

I called the person named on the email and I specifically asked for a quote to include adequate insurance and I was told that there was none, I then said "obviously there is the standard level of cover, which I'd like to increase to cover possible damage or loss". She replied, "Let me just check something... no sorry there is NO insurance cover and it can't be covered at all". I was flabbergasted and asked to speak to whomever she'd spoken to or a manager, it took a bit of bullying but I got to speak to someone who was able to confirm that I could not insure my item unless I was a business user.

I have no axe to grind with APC, like everyone else I just want to find a quality insured service for transporting my pride and joy. However, it seems that you get a different story depending upon which branch you use.

I've just rang them again (a dog with a bone); categoric, absolute, "as a non-account user you have no insurance whatsoever but don't worry if it's wrapped well it'll come to no harm as we look after our parcels and never throw them about". This was from the depot manager... no account, no insurance!

Hi,

The price for the parcel you want to send to ne** *bb wil cost £15.00 plus 17.5% VAT, this is not insurance

Thank You

Laura Finnie
Laura Finnie
Customer Services
Tel-0191 4192299
Fax-0191 4190123
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 09 October 2007 17:00
To: leeann
Subject: quote

Hi.
Can you give me a quote to have a bass guitar collected from:

ADDRESS

and delivered to:

ADDRESS

The total consignment weight (inc case and packaging) is 11.5kg The parcel dimensions are a maximum of 1.4m x 0.4m x 0.7m The value of the parcel is £900.

Thanks
John Parker

I recently bought a Microsoft Zune player from the states. It was shipped with Fedex then given to ANC to deliver ni this country. I ordered it nearly 2 weeks ago and have had nothing but trouble with ANC. They have repetedly promised me it was on its way to me and each time it has sat in the depot. The promis to return my calls and they dont. I called them yesterday and they said my package is at the Dartford depot, so i call the Dartford depot and am told its at the Chelmsford depot. I call them and they say its in the Dartford depot. So in short its lost.

ANC are the biggest bunch of cowboys out there in my eyes. I have tried to put in a complaint but each time im put on hold then cut off. I have just checked my shipping number now online and its now saying my package is being sent back to the sender!!!!

Great way to do business.

Big -1 from me.

Nick

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='72928' date='Oct 11 2007, 04:33 PM']In that case someone somewhere within APC is telling lies and doesn't want our custom!

Below is a copy of my email and their reply, note the 'this is not insurance' which lead me to ask about insurance. Obviously I've omitted the addresses for privacy reasons.

I called the person named on the email and I specifically asked for a quote to include adequate insurance and I was told that there was none, I then said "obviously there is the standard level of cover, which I'd like to increase to cover possible damage or loss". She replied, "Let me just check something... no sorry there is NO insurance cover and it can't be covered at all". I was flabbergasted and asked to speak to whomever she'd spoken to or a manager, it took a bit of bullying but I got to speak to someone who was able to confirm that I could not insure my item unless I was a business user.

I have no axe to grind with APC, like everyone else I just want to find a quality insured service for transporting my pride and joy. However, it seems that you get a different story depending upon which branch you use.

I've just rang them again (a dog with a bone); categoric, absolute, "as a non-account user you have no insurance whatsoever but don't worry if it's wrapped well it'll come to no harm as we look after our parcels and never throw them about". This was from the depot manager... no account, no insurance!

Hi,

The price for the parcel you want to send to ne** *bb wil cost £15.00 plus 17.5% VAT, this is not insurance

Thank You

Laura Finnie
Laura Finnie
Customer Services
Tel-0191 4192299
Fax-0191 4190123
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 09 October 2007 17:00
To: leeann
Subject: quote
Hi.
Can you give me a quote to have a bass guitar collected from:

ADDRESS

and delivered to:

ADDRESS

The total consignment weight (inc case and packaging) is 11.5kg The parcel dimensions are a maximum of 1.4m x 0.4m x 0.7m The value of the parcel is £900.

Thanks
John Parker[/quote]
Strange??

I can only suggest that you call and speak to Andy at UK Sameday (which is part of the APC group) because he was absolutely categorical on this issue. His number is 01244 533533.

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='73099' date='Oct 11 2007, 11:06 PM']Strange??

I can only suggest that you call and speak to Andy at UK Sameday (which is part of the APC group) because he was absolutely categorical on this issue. His number is 01244 533533.

Nik[/quote]

It's great when you complain and they give you a managers number... 7.30 phonecalls don't get diverted!

Mystery solved.

UK Sameday are a 3rd party user of APC, they aren't APC, they use the APC service. It seems that this common practice in the industry and though Julie at APC (first name terms now) wouldn't personally confirm UK Sameday were a 3rd party user (jobsworth), she said that if they used the APC logo then that would be the case... and UK Sameday do.

Our brief conversation revealed that all over the UK there are companies that as business users will take your booking but then place that order with another courier, especially if they don't have a lot of custom in a particular area.

There is a potential fly in the ointment re. insurance. It is subject to completely different terms and conditions for 3rd party users... couldn't ascertain what that meant but she was very vague and evasive.