Why become a member? ×

Courier points system and courier issues

paul, the

[quote name='OldGit' post='349531' date='Dec 9 2008, 11:24 AM']Good stuff, Waldo

Prose, couldn't you just sell the bass here and ship the money? She'd then be able to get a reasonable bass in oz without the hassle and cost and tax and bluddy handling fee of getting it shipped .... of course if she's very emotionally attached to it that may not be a possibility.

So .. who knows a way of getting cheap shipping <from> the Phillipines to the UK?
I was talking to Reuel about an interesting bass his friend has but the shipping to teh UK was likely to be $250 ....[/quote]

With relation to the first point yes selling it and buying in Oz makes sense but it is her first bass and sentimental.

A recent quote I got from my man in China was $80.00 for a body and neck via EMS and I'm sure they operate in the Philippines

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='72412' date='Oct 10 2007, 08:35 PM']Then I'd recommend you don't use Parcelforce. If anything goes wrong you'll have no claim. It clearly states on their website that £150 is the maximum insurable value for musical instruments.
[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?catId=25800694&mediaId=load105018"]The Parcelforce web page that says £150 is the maximum you can insure a musical instrument for[/url] .. Read the paragraph headed "Prevent movement of items in transit".

With so many other options, why take the risk?[/quote]

That's weird. I've sent via Parceforce before and I'm sure they've charged me extra to insure the bass up to the value I wanted. Either my memory is going (possible) or something is wrong....or they've done me.

• 3 months later...

DHL

Bunch of useless runts.
Failed to collect parcel, even after buying their most expensive overnight service.
Price wasn't bad but thats not important when the thing is supposed to be at the other end of the country.
Customer 'service' are useless bankers as well. Got passed aroudn the houses until they shut, at 18:00:01. Couldn't care less.
Well annoyed.

:)

[quote name='coasterbass' post='486219' date='May 12 2009, 06:18 PM']DHL
:angry[/quote]
They delivered a bass head to a Basschatter smashed to smithereens. I claimed £50 on the insurance. They took over three months to get back and turned the claim down because of inadequate packaging. They didn't even examine the packaging. The head was packed well enough - someone must have dropped it from about six feet to do that.
I had been told DHL don't honour their insurance.

Pissed off. They've just lost a customer.

A big negative for DHL.

Edited by stevie

• 1 month later...

DHL-pah.
I bought a pair of Ashdown mini cabs from Nick Carey, in as new condition. When they arrived, one had clearly been dropped from a fair old height-one metal corner protector well and truly duffed in, and the tweeter unit had been wrenched from its mountings and the unit itself cracked. It was back when it was snowing, and the box had clearly been standing in either water or snow for quite a while, as the cardboard was sodden, and I ripped it open with one hand. Nick very kindly pursued the claim for me, and I got £50 compensation, but I wouldn't touch DHL with two barge poles tied together. If I ever get a package I suspect has been damaged again, I'm not signing for it until I've opened it and had a damn good look at the contents.

+1 for UPS via Interparcel standard. They allow collection windows between 14:30 and 17:30 (in my area), and still deliver the next day. So you can place an online order for a courier at 14:29, and the kit will still get there the next way.

They allow insurance for instruments. It cost me £36 for next day with £1K insurance.

You need a printer for the standard tariff, but that's the only slight downside.

[i]Updated[/i]

I was thinking of a sort of FAQ links; '[b]What do you want to do?[/b]'

Then you could have links such as:

Value delivery within the UK
Insured delivery within the UK
International statements
Fast international delivery
Best for cabs

etc. etc.

They would each go to a specific post with a courier firm (or top 3), a comment, and user quotes/anecdotes.

Seems like a smarter way of clearing up the information and making use of the data. The convoluted table thing can be kept below should one want to get more specific, yo.

Input welcome.

[quote name='chrisgriffiths' post='316399' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:42 AM']+2 for [url="http://www.personalshipper.com"]http://www.personalshipper.com[/url][/quote]

Old comment, I know, but I can't get a working website for these guys.

Edited by paul, the

• 3 weeks later...

I nearl fell foul of Parcelforce and I'd like to say to BC members: Stay away from them! They 'lost' a 335 I sent to Spain and in the surrounding panic I then discovered what the insurance value actually was!!! Luckily, aftern ten days the guitar eventually turned up. It was found hidden in a cage in a corner of the warehouse in Coventry; it's tracking labels had been removed and was only initially identified by it's size. Go figure where it was soon to go to!

I worried like mad until the thing got to Spain and after it did I told PFW that I'd never use them again aor even recommend them. Since then, all my auctions/sales put the onus on the buyer to arrange insurance and couriers.

[quote name='Stacker' post='538571' date='Jul 12 2009, 03:47 PM']I nearl fell foul of Parcelforce and I'd like to say to BC members: Stay away from them! They 'lost' a 335 I sent to Spain and in the surrounding panic I then discovered what the insurance value actually was!!! Luckily, aftern ten days the guitar eventually turned up. It was found hidden in a cage in a corner of the warehouse in Coventry; it's tracking labels had been removed and was only initially identified by it's size. Go figure where it was soon to go to!

I worried like mad until the thing got to Spain and after it did I told PFW that I'd never use them again aor even recommend them. Since then, all my auctions/sales put the onus on the buyer to arrange insurance and couriers.[/quote]

I’d say you were pretty unlucky with that, but the end result was good. I’ve used ParcelForce at least 5 or 6 times to send instruments through the post (domestic UK shipping only) and all arrived within 24 hours and completely unharmed.

Just a couple of pointers – I always make sure I put the delivery address and senders details on both sides of the case/box before it gets sent because I know that it’s not uncommon for the labels to fall off or be ripped off by poor handling, and because of that it’s always an idea to use excessive amounts of bubble wrap :) These details that I put on the stuff I send are in addition to the courier’s delivery stickers. Also, I don’t know if you’re aware but ParcelForce don’t insure instruments over £150 regardless of how much extra insurance you buy, so it’s always worth reading all the small print and T&Cs.

• 1 month later...

Just sent a bass to Germany via Interparcel & Parceline.. Cost £20 + £20 insurance (up to £1000 in value) + VAT.. The UPS option was £20 more..

Though it was quoted as a 3-5 day service, it arrived safe & sound in 2 days!!

Amazing! :)

• 3 weeks later...

interparcel -2

f***ed up collections on the last 2 occasions i have used them. Its a shame because they have been so good in the past, but their customer service over these failed collections was just rubbish, and i have every reason to believe it is the way the liase with the courier companies, rather than the couriers themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Interparcel/TNT +1

From Scotland to the Midlands,

20kg head
40kg cab

Just shrinkwrapped, hardly any protection.

Pick up between 2.00 - 5.30
Picked up at 2.10
Delivered 10.30 next day

Not a problem, one of the feet came off but that was cheap to replace and due to shoddy packaging.

DHL wanted £125 I paid £82 fully insured.

Great service.

• 3 weeks later...

Send a 20Kg used Peavey power amp via "Interlink Direct". They seem to farm the work out to other courier companies and in this case it was DPD.

(-1) Interlink direct. It's difficult to find their number to call them and they stop answering phones an hour before the latest collection time, so you can't call them if your parcel isn't collected, which it wasn't. Having said that, once you actually get them on the phone, they are quite helpful. The email support service is OK but slow.

(-2) DPD. Didn't bother to turn up to collect the first time. If I'd had to make the effort to be at home (8:30am to 5:30pm, talk about barn door!), I'd have been livid instead of just annoyed. Despite the amp being double walled with cardboard, then wrapped in about 2M of bubble wrap, they still managed to bend a wrack mount ear. Other than that, seemed to get there in one piece.

Edited by Sharkfinger