Why become a member? ×

Courier points system and courier issues

paul, the

just to say on interparcel, two of your -1's are because of damage in transit. Correct me if im wrong, but that has nothing to do with interparcel as they have done nothing wrong, it is the courier they use that have f***ed up. i think interparcel should only be rated on customer service and collections really

Edited by BassManKev

Can you add [url="http://www.transglobal.org.uk/"]http://www.transglobal.org.uk/[/url] to the list? Found them on moneysavingexpert.

Used them recently to ship a bass to the US, they're a reseller and the price I got was a fraction of that quoted by DHL (a third of the price I think) and the courier ended up being DHL anyway! Great customer service, would highly recommend them. There was a hiccup with DHL though, in that the courier didn't being any of the shipping paperwork and had to come back the next day, which was annoying.

If you're going to be using DHL/UPS or another 'name' courier, you'd be stupid not to go through transglobal first, you will save yourself a lot of money.

Need some info on best couriers to Australia. About 7 years ago I gave to my niece a MM copy I wasn't using as a Christmas present.
She moved to Oz with her boyfriend 2 years ago but didn't take the bass and now she wants to get back into it.
Its only an inexpensive Vintage but it plays really well and has a lot of sentimental value.
I have shipped basses all over Europe but never Oz.....any suggestions.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='348170' date='Dec 7 2008, 10:15 PM']Need some info on best couriers to Australia. About 7 years ago I gave to my niece a MM copy I wasn't using as a Christmas present.
She moved to Oz with her boyfriend 2 years ago but didn't take the bass and now she wants to get back into it.
Its only an inexpensive Vintage but it plays really well and has a lot of sentimental value.
I have shipped basses all over Europe but never Oz.....any suggestions.[/quote]

See my post above. www.transglobal.org.uk are very very cheap, so cheap that I'm being argued with about their prices on another thread! They're a forwarding company that use DHL, UPS etc and get massive discounts.

Quick quote using the same dimesions of a bass tha I recently sent to the US using them, with DHL Air Express 3 day as the carrier: £79.11 door to door plus £9.00 for insurance up to £200 (you can specify whatever value you want, I just arbitrarily picked £200 becuase you said it wasn't worth that much). Go straight to DHL and it would be about £200 I rekon, so that's a good saving.

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='Waldo' post='349407' date='Dec 9 2008, 09:38 AM']See my post above. www.transglobal.org.uk are very very cheap, so cheap that I'm being argued with about their prices on another thread! They're a forwarding company that use DHL, UPS etc and get massive discounts.

Quick quote using the same dimesions of a bass tha I recently sent to the US using them, with DHL Air Express 3 day as the carrier: £79.11 door to door plus £9.00 for insurance up to £200 (you can specify whatever value you want, I just arbitrarily picked £200 becuase you said it wasn't worth that much). Go straight to DHL and it would be about £200 I rekon, so that's a good saving.[/quote]

Good stuff, Waldo

Prose, couldn't you just sell the bass here and ship the money? She'd then be able to get a reasonable bass in oz without the hassle and cost and tax and bluddy handling fee of getting it shipped .... of course if she's very emotionally attached to it that may not be a possibility.

So .. who knows a way of getting cheap shipping <from> the Phillipines to the UK?
I was talking to Reuel about an interesting bass his friend has but the shipping to teh UK was likely to be $250 ....

[quote name='Waldo' post='337568' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:51 PM']Can you add [url="http://www.transglobal.org.uk/"]http://www.transglobal.org.uk/[/url] to the list? Found them on moneysavingexpert.

Used them recently to ship a bass to the US, they're a reseller and the price I got was a fraction of that quoted by DHL (a third of the price I think) and the courier ended up being DHL anyway! Great customer service, would highly recommend them. There was a hiccup with DHL though, in that the courier didn't being any of the shipping paperwork and had to come back the next day, which was annoying.

If you're going to be using DHL/UPS or another 'name' courier, you'd be stupid not to go through transglobal first, you will save yourself a lot of money.[/quote]

you know if there's any way you can do US to the UK with this? I can't work it out.

i notice apc havnt got a negative, i dont know why coz i swear i gave one

anyways..

-1 for apc. They sold insurance up to £1000 for a bass i posted months ago, but i later found out they didnt cover instruments, and so if the bass would have got damaged, despite paying the insurance, i would have got fek all

I've been trying manfully to send three items sold here via [b]transglobal express[/b] - a sales agent for DHL. It's been an absolute nightmare and I've now been stuck in the house for the best part of two days as they simply failed to turn up yesterday. Now, today, they have turned up without the paperwork. The DHL driver is coming back at 2pm to sort things out and hopefully with the right paperwork. :)

I there ANY reliable service to be had?

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='356857' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:29 PM']I've been trying manfully to send three items sold here via [b]transglobal express[/b] - a sales agent for DHL. It's been an absolute nightmare and I've now been stuck in the house for the best part of two days as they simply failed to turn up yesterday. Now, today, they have turned up without the paperwork. The DHL driver is coming back at 2pm to sort things out and hopefully with the right paperwork. :)

I there ANY reliable service to be had?[/quote]

Interesting as someone pointed me in the direction of Transglobal as a means to transport to the USA relatively cheaply, I'll watch how this pans out!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='356866' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:40 PM']Interesting as someone pointed me in the direction of Transglobal as a means to transport to the USA relatively cheaply, I'll watch how this pans out![/quote]

It panned out as follows.

1. The DHL driver was as good as his word and returned on time.

2. He did not have the correct paperwork for any of the items to be shipped and it seems he was never going to. If TransGlobal had done their work correctly they would have known this.

3. I called TransGlobal whilst the driver waited, he then spoke to them and pointed out their misunderstanding of DHL work methods.

4. Transglobal advised me to send the items anyway - even without the paperwork they had insisted [b]must [/b]be present both this morning and yesterday - and the correct labels would be applied at the depot in Bellshill.

5. That might have been ok - if it were not for the fact that the distribution depot is in Linwood (Bellshill is a drop off point only prior to Linwood sorting and forwarding) and there was no way for the driver to be able to attach the appropriate paperwork as that could only be originated at Linwood.

6. Finally, TransGlobal could not provide tracking numbers because they had to come from DHL and it dawned on me that Transglobal were making the solution up as they went along because they had no clear understanding of the DHL service they employ as third party agents.

7. Finally, there was no tracking details or insurance confirmation without the correct paperwork so I was not willing to let the three instruments leave without the tracking information - or, indeed, the insurance confirmations - and they couldn't provide them unless I agreed to spend another day in the house for collections tomorrow. You can imagine the confidence I had in them to get things right by now.

8. I cancelled all of the orders and now await the refunds.

Right now the solution I need is a decent courier to take a bass and guitar to England and a bass to Holland.

My experience couldn't have been any different with transglobal. Am a bit confused as to what's happened with you.

What paperwork was missing? I was provided will all the paperwork to print out as soon as I placed my order. If you can't print out the paperwork the DHL driver will have manual waybills that you can fill out yourself plus you can fill out the packing list yourself on a blank peice of paper. Presumably you needed some other paperwork too, becuase everything I needed was filled out manually when the driver came to collect the package.

+1 for Transglobal (DHL)

Delivered a bass to The States (actually delivered 'on' Boxing Day) in 3 days for a total cost of £85 (of which £38 was insurance). Minor glitch/delay when DHL rang me the morning after collection asking for my VAT number, I pointed out it was a private individual -> private individual transaction and they simply said "thanks, bye".

+1 for Interparcel

Delivered a bass in 2 days when it should have been 24hr but no big deal as cost was £18 inc increased insurance to £350.

Since alot of these posts seem to be about international shipping, I just thought I'd ask my own question. I'm going to be putting my rockbass on eBay, and wondered if anyone could give me a good idea of what to put as a shipping cost estimate? Insurance values on it don't need to be that high since it's only worth about £150.

i think iv already said this, but since there doesnt appear to be any negative for apc, they are gettin a -1 from me, sold me £1000 insurance for my bass, and i later found out they didnt insure instruments!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='371490' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:35 PM']i think iv already said this, but since there doesnt appear to be any negative for apc, they are gettin a -1 from me, sold me £1000 insurance for my bass, and i later found out they didnt insure instruments![/quote]

You’ve got to read all the T&C’s mate – a lot of couriers don’t insure musical instruments over about £150 but they’ll happily take your cash for it. If you’re giving APC a -1 for this, then realistically a -1 should go to all couriers who don’t insure musical instruments cos they’ll all be happy to take the cash and not provide the insurance.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='371493' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:41 PM']You’ve got to read all the T&C’s mate – a lot of couriers don’t insure musical instruments over about £150 but they’ll happily take your cash for it. If you’re giving APC a -1 for this, then realistically a -1 should go to all couriers who don’t insure musical instruments cos they’ll all be happy to take the cash and not provide the insurance.[/quote]
i dealed with them at their depot. i was asked the contents of the package, and i replied bass in a hardcase, he then asked did i want insurance, and i said yeah, its worth £700, so he said itd be insured for £1000 for £xx (cant remember). Whether i read t&c or not, i dont think that is acceptable.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='371495' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:43 PM']i dealed with them at their depot. i was asked the contents of the package, and i replied bass in a hardcase, he then asked did i want insurance, and i said yeah, its worth £700, so he said itd be insured for £1000 for £xx (cant remember). Whether i read t&c or not, i dont think that is acceptable.[/quote]

yeah I guess that's a different story. That is pretty sh*t man. Did you go after a refund?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='371495' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:43 PM']i dealed with them at their depot. i was asked the contents of the package, and i replied bass in a hardcase, he then asked did i want insurance, and i said yeah, its worth £700, so he said itd be insured for £1000 for £xx (cant remember). Whether i read t&c or not, i dont think that is acceptable.[/quote]

Perhaps you should check their T & C's and then write to their head office,asking for your money back as they are guilty of false selling practices in regards to the insurance and the training of their desk jockies :)

Hey, all

I thought this would be the most useful place to post this.....

There are a few basses flowing to and fro, so I thought I would share my shipping shopping fingings...

The bugbear with bass sending is length - jsut too long for all those £19.95 for 30kg packages.

However, I found this guy:

Rob
[email protected]

He ships autoparts around.

For a parcel that is 20cm x 50cm x 135cm his rate is £32.85.

I haven't checked on insurance arrangements and such, but that seems quite keen as a staring point.

If this deal on the blue MM5 goes forward, I will shop some more and post the outcome.

If I use him, I will report back on the quality of the service.

Ta

Chris

Edited by Thornybank