Why become a member? ×

NBD: a lovely fretless with a story...

BassAgent

So here’s a story: on the Dutch bass forums someone linked to a De Gier fretless that was for sale on Bassic.de for a pretty good price. It was just before I went on tour to Germany, so I thought: let’s check where the bass is located. It was in Schwandorf, about an hour’s drive from Nürnberg. Now on the first leg of the tour we weren’t going to be near there, but we were going to play Nürnberg on the very last night of the tour. However, we’re touring by train so going to Schwandorf was going to be a bit of a hassle. I sent the seller a message asking if he’d be prepared to come to Nürnberg, so I could check out the bass in my hotel. His first response was “sorry, that’s too far away”. Hm. I really wanted to check out this bass. So I offered to pay his petrol and put him on the guest list for our show, while simultaneously checking out what it would cost to rent a car, in case he said no.

And then I got an email: he was coming to Nürnberg! I felt sooooo lucky. He came to my hotel room to check out the bass. Amazingly friendly guy who told me the bass once belonged to Karel Gott’s bass player. Gott was a Czech singer whose state funeral happened two days ago, when we were in Prague too🤯

So here it is: my new De Gier Origin, serial #020. Padouk body, maple neck, spalted maple top, cocobolo fingerboard, Bartolini pickups, Aguilar preamp. It sings like nothing else, the low B is insane. I’m in love. This is one of the few basses that can compete with my world class fretless Jazz.

58073723-CDFA-4F8F-9447-6A860B4A7C89.jpeg

54816776-6797-4C4C-B073-661F583D30BF.jpeg

C6976715-3BDF-4D1C-9964-6B7A87F8C0BC.jpeg

7021A611-C094-461F-9A60-026201D07A55.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...