Why become a member? ×

NBD GB Spitfire. Review.

bubinga5

Ive played it on a few rehearsals now. First off, Its not a Jazz Bass..But really its a modern sounding bass that looks a little bit like a Jazz, as the Sei Looked like a modern Jazz and sounded like a modern Jazz. The Sei was so well made it had a clarity across the fretboard and this instrument is the same, but just sounds a little different.

Its a double hum bucker 34' scale beast with an 18v powered GB preamp. Ive never been a fan of the light show that he offers so I'm glad it didn't come with any of those tarty bits that seems to add a lot of money to an already great bass.These GB's are being sold for well over £2000 used because of these options.  I just wanted a great bass that had some growl. And that it has, with a super tight B string. Ive put some new strings on it being my die hard favourite DR Fat Beams that sound so cool when set at the right action.

I had a preconception that GB basses sounded like a super modern Mark King zingy Jaydee Alembic sounding bass which im not a fan of. Not the case. I can dial in some really old school sounds from this instrument as well as some more MTD sounding tones.Playing Dangelo tone off stuff is cool.

Its EQ is fairly easy to work out. It feels wonderful to play neck wise. I will say its not as comfortable to play as the Sei Jazz because its neck is a little and I mean a slight difference depth wise at the nut end. And there is no cut away on the back by the neck bolts. But it is super nice to hold. You feel like your playing something very special and well made. UK bass royalty one might say. The flame neck is insane with purple heart strips. Insane Birdseye maple neck. I soooooo dig the burl walnut on the back of the headstock, a really cool touch. . The body is swamp ash with a Burled Walnut top with a  purple heart sandwich. . 

All in all this instrument is just as good as it gets depending on your flavour. To be honest it could be a bit more Jazz like, but im being picky. What it does it does incredibly well. A joy to play and it makes me smile when im playing funky soulish stuff with the band through a 212 Aguilar. 

I believe Harry from this very forum asked for this bass to be made for him by Bernie. So if your about dude, please chip in if I have missed something.

72843924_912145889168236_5412286768718282752_n.jpg

71954396_912146135834878_6348973102516404224_n.jpg

72108548_912145952501563_5357204354312962048_n.jpg

72116874_912146092501549_15495374420574208_n.jpg

72674310_912146045834887_6218876601795346432_n.jpg

20191012_123601.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 14

53 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

Darn it! I was too slow in breaking the piggy bank for this one 😥 Glad your enjoying it. Lovely looking bass 😀👍

You and me both! 😁

Is this the one that Jay had up for sale? I didn't manage to persuade him to trade me it for a bass that I've now managed to sell. Timing eh!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You and me both! 😁

Is this the one that Jay had up for sale? I didn't manage to persuade him to trade me it for a bass that I've now managed to sell. Timing eh!

Yeah it belonged to Jamie. Lovely guy. We met in a hotel room. Was just like an elicit drug deal.😆

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

bass.These GB's are being sold for well over £2000 used because of these optio

Theres a lefty on ebay that can't get to its reserve of 500 at a few times of asking. Criminal. I can't justify it myself no matter how much I know its a snip. 

Tis a beautiful looking bass, glad it hits the spot for you tone wise too. 

31 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Theres a lefty on ebay that can't get to its reserve of 500 at a few times of asking. Criminal. I can't justify it myself no matter how much I know its a snip. 

So how hard would it be to start playing basses left hand then? You guys seem to get all the best deals! 😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Nah, I agree with Ped. 😉

What? That 5 strings are quite possibly the best sort but you're a bit crap at them...? That's very honest of you to 'fess up to 😁

On 13/10/2019 at 12:35, ped said:

Quite possibly, but unfortunately I am, by definition, a bit crap at them

12 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What? That 5 strings are quite possibly the best sort but you're a bit crap at them...? That's very honest of you to 'fess up to 😁

😁

The one advantage most fives do have for me is narrower string spacing. Two of my 3 main fours have 16.5mm spacing (the other is 17mm), and very few fours are that close. I’ve often toyed with getting another 5 and then taking a string off, but I can’t find one I really like the sound of.

On 13/10/2019 at 20:56, uk_lefty said:

There's a lefty on ebay that can't get to its reserve of 500 at a few times of asking. Criminal. I can't justify it myself no matter how much I know its a snip. 

Is that the reserve price? I've bid on it a couple of times even though I would have no need for it. I may bid £501 next time.

I had a 4 string Spitfire which I didn't fall in love with. However I did have a (unbelievably beautiful) Rumour at the time which was a very difficult act for it to follow.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Bernie's work and the fact he is a complete gentleman and a joy to deal with.

Unfortunately, as well as being great instruments to play, most of his creations are beautiful works of art - I never felt comfortable taking mine out of my home - sort of defeats the point of having them really.

Hope that you're braver that me and get to enjoy this for the reason it was made.