Why become a member? ×

Best lightweight setup

theotherphiljones

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

My BB800 just arrived from Thomanns.. Perfect condition. Very happy. Ill get to try it out tomorrow night with my F112.

I dont plan on using the little bag but was surprised to see a a fitted foam bottom in it. Very nice touch.

Happy days.. I find the little fitted bag very handy, in fact I leave the amp sitting in and just open the flap fully down behind the cab for cables etc... it never budges during gigs 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tradfusion said:

Happy days.. I find the little fitted bag very handy, in fact I leave the amp sitting in and just open the flap fully down behind the cab for cables etc... it never budges during gigs 🙂

Cheers.The reason i probably wont use the bag is i can fit this, and all my cables in to a nice padded camera bag. Im coming form a GK MB800 which is also very small.

Just remember with the bb800 that the controls work together - especially gain and volume. Around 12 o'clock gain is tight and smooth, and 4 o'clock can get nice and drive like. You have to work the gain and master with each other to get the desired sound.

3 minutes ago, la bam said:

Just remember with the bb800 that the controls work together - especially gain and volume. Around 12 o'clock gain is tight and smooth, and 4 o'clock can get nice and drive like. You have to work the gain and master with each other to get the desired sound.

Cheers. Ill be doing it all on my Helix Stomp, so plan on keeping the Eq flat.

Quick question about the Gain control. I understand about the compression/limiting that creeps in on the higher settings, but how do people normally set the Gain knob? Do they have it higher because they want a bit of limiting etc?

22 minutes ago, la bam said:

On it's own I use the gain at 4 o'clock.

With the stomp I set it at 12 o'clock.

Thanks. Is there a reason for the difference? I assume 4 o'clock for a bit off thickness, and 12 to keep it clean but with enough hitting the power stage?  Just trying to get a handle on the Gain control rather than asking for settings (as I know this is frowned upon).

I like the GK amps. Also Tecamp. Both put out a ton of power, when measured by lab tests at Bass Gear Magazine. The GK amps have more voicing to them, but once set flat are powerful and adaptable units. The GK MB800 is great. 

The Tecamp Puma 900 or 500 (or now, Eich, since the company changed up) are powerful and neutral amps. A bit too neutral for me, but easily coloured with fx etc. 

Edited by funkle

Just got back from my first rehearsal with the BB800. Drummer didn't turn up so it wasn't really a good test, but I really liked what the BB800 was putting out. I never planned or worried about using the EQ, the stomp was going to do it all, but I'd say 80% of the night was with the Stomp in bypass mode. I really liked the EQ, although it took a few mins to get used to it.

I do still love my GK MB800, and agree its so powerful even when flat. I was going to sell it but can't face getting rid of it. 

On 17/10/2019 at 19:21, funkle said:

I like the GK amps. Also Tecamp. Both put out a ton of power, when measured by lab tests at Bass Gear Magazine. The GK amps have more voicing to them, but once set flat are powerful and adaptable units. The GK MB800 is great. 

The Tecamp Puma 900 or 500 (or now, Eich, since the company changed up) are powerful and neutral amps. A bit too neutral for me, but easily coloured with fx etc. 

That's really interesting. I switched from Aguilar to Tecamp specifically because the Tecamp had some character to it and gives out a great 80's tone (I play in an 80s covers band) - the Aguilar seemed too neutral to me, horses for courses I guess.... 

• Like 1