Why become a member? ×

Best lightweight setup

theotherphiljones

My starter for 10 would be a BF Super Compact. Comes as an 8 ohm cab and handles up to 600W. 21lbs or 23 lbs depending on cloth or metal grille - there's currently one of each in the FS. I've not found anything of similar quality that can match this for portability.

Pair with a D class head of your taste.

In my case, I've been pairing that with a DG M900 v1 which delivers around 450W at 8 ohms and has built in DG B3K and VMT drives. I'm just about to swap it out for a second gen DG amp, the AO900, but my M900 has not really broken into a sweat on any of the gigs I've used it for.

Used - both amp and cab are likely to come in a little over budget, but not by too much. But there are plenty of excellent D class heads for less cost and I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of recommendations!

And just as importantly, welcome back to bass-land! :)

BF SC I.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

8 minutes ago, Merton said:

Ashdown RM500 and Barefaced Super Compact or Two10 :)

6 minutes ago, theotherphiljones said:

Hey thanks! Not used ashdown kit for a decade or so! Guessing they’ve upped their game.

Big time, and paired with either of those cabs a rig that will sound great and have bags of power/volume.

Lots of good lightweight cabs out there, Barefaced and Vanderkley will get lots of mentions. However finding a "good" lightweight Class D head is a different ball game IMO. I've tried loads and I've yet to try anything that really comes up to scratch.

Don't be fooled by the Trace Elliot stickers on the Elf - it doesn't have the same heft that you experienced from the classic stuff. The company is now based in the US so you won't get the same easy to access customer service that you got when they were based in the UK.

I wasn't impressed with the TC gear. The Genz Benz gear which everybody was talking about a few years ago has seemingly fallen from grace since the company was bought out by Gibson (I believe). You'll undoubtedly get recommendations for the Genzler.

I didn't get any inspiration from the Darkglass but I do know that some people swear blind by them, especially if you like a heavy modern, rock tone..

Ashdown are coming back into popularity - dirt cheap, excellent customer service, a presence on this forum and good products mean you get a lot for your buck. 

If it were my money and I had to buy a Class D head I'd certainly think about a EBS - general consensus that the Customer Service is excellent.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Lots of good lightweight cabs out there, Barefaced and Vanderkley will get lots of mentions. However finding a "good" lightweight Class D head is a different ball game IMO. I've tried loads and I've yet to try anything that really comes up to scratch.

Don't be fooled by the Trace Elliot stickers on the Elf - it doesn't have the same heft that you experienced from the classic stuff. The company is now based in the US so you won't get the same easy to access customer service that you got when they were based in the UK.

I wasn't impressed with the TC gear. The Genz Benz gear which everybody was talking about a few years ago has seemingly fallen from grace since the company was bought out by Gibson (I believe). You'll undoubtedly get recommendations for the Genzler.

I didn't get any inspiration from the Darkglass but I do know that some people swear blind by them, especially if you like a heavy modern, rock tone..

Ashdown are coming back into popularity - dirt cheap, excellent customer service, a presence on this forum and good products mean you get a lot for your buck. 

If it were my money and I had to buy a Class D head I'd certainly think about a EBS - general consensus that the Customer Service is excellent.

Thanks for this! 

Agree with those previous posts recommending Barefaced Super Compact it's a great cab. I would suggest you look at Mesa Subway D800 amp, built-in HPF and a simple EQ setup with the ' Character ' control providing easy access to a range of familiar amp sounds. The new Fender Rumble 800HD is also a real workhorse. 

14 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Agree with those previous posts recommending Barefaced Super Compact it's a great cab. I would suggest you look at Mesa Subway D800 amp, built-in HPF and a simple EQ setup with the ' Character ' control providing easy access to a range of familiar amp sounds. The new Fender Rumble 800HD is also a real workhorse. 

Cool. Sooooooo many options🤦‍♂️

Quilter bass block and a laney n410.

More power than you could believe. Whole package weighs just over 20kg.

I've done big gigs and indoor and outdoor festivals with that rig and didnt even come close to half way on the volume.

I used to have a barefaced super compact. I sold it as it struggled at larger gigs. The laney n410 doesnt even break a sweat.

Probably get both for around 1000 if you're lucky.

3 minutes ago, la bam said:

Quilter bass block and a laney n410.

More power than you could believe. Whole package weighs just over 20kg.

I've done big gigs and indoor and outdoor festivals with that rig and didnt even come close to half way on the volume.

I used to have a barefaced super compact. I sold it as it struggled at larger gigs. The laney n410 doesnt even break a sweat.

Probably get both for around 1000 if you're lucky.

LOVE the look of that quilter. No fuss. Thinking maybe 4x10 may be a little too large for my spec currently. Thanks tho!!!🤘

40 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Another vote for the supercompact, coupled with a midget it makes a very versatile setup, I use an orange terror 1000w amp which is probably overkill for anywhere I am likely to play but the whole rig can be carried by one person in one go.

It's a real shame that they have stopped making the Terror 1000W and are now only selling the 500W version, which will be closer to 250 to 300W at 8 ohm, particularly when the BF Super Compact can handle up to 600W at 8ohm. Otherwise I'd be really tempted to try out this iconic British manufacturer's amps.

I was just smiling that I seem to have already sold 2 out of the 3 bits of my rig from a clip in the gigs thread I posted a couple of weeks ago, but will be holding onto the remaining item for a while yet. And yup it's a BF SC.

On the amp head front and speaking of best of British, in addition to Ashdown and Terror worth giving an honourable mention to Laney. I've not yet had the pleasure but their Laney Nexus SL is a hybrid with a tube preamp and D class power amp and whilst a little heavier, at 12 lbs, it delivers 1000W and has 3 band EQ with semi-para mids; they're around £660 new - don't seem to be a particular fav with BC'ers so you won't find them coming up used (if one does, I suspect I'll be on to it myself! 😁).

I think as @TheGreek rightly mentioned in his excellent post above, D class can sometimes be a little sterile and may require a little warming up with preamp and / or a drive pedal. My experience of hybrid amps on the other hand in the shape of my Mesa M6, is that they are anything but sterile and I would rate my Mesa as simply outstanding. It is not lightweight however, so my D class head is the one that ends up being gigged!  

Edited by Al Krow

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's a real shame that they have stopped making the Terror 1000W and are now only selling the 500W version, which will be closer to 250 to 300W at 8 ohm, particularly when the BF Super Compact can handle up to 600W at 8ohm. Otherwise I'd be really tempted to try out this iconic British manufacturer's amps.

I had one of the 500s.  It was much louder than the statistics would have you believe.  Especially as you can switch output between 8 and 4Ohm loads.  Can't imagine any scenario where you'd need 1000W with one of these.