Why become a member? ×

Gear4music recruitment is a joke

ped

11 minutes ago, DJpullchord said:

Oh it yours! Can’t find it on companies house. Where you based?

Did you start it or take it on?

I started the site in about 2002 as Bassworld and since then it’s evolved and changed lots of times and had different names along the way! I’ll write a full history of the site at some point for the history books! It’s quite a story actually for a few reasons, up to and including an FBI takedown!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Ahahah it does not surprise me Chris!

Before I moved south I ve applied for Italian marketing position at gear4music, all tge care is about the ego of tge guy who started tge company

I went there and I had even  a 2 hour  interview which included also translating fromEnglish into Italian.... However I was offered a job on the spot and they told me they would send me a contract over email. I was so happy the same evening I went to my other job and handed in my notice.....

After a week of not receiving the email I contacted them to find out the filled the position with another guy (not Italian)

Their excuse was that they tried calling me but they couldn't get in touch (bolloc. S)

Even if I was offered a job after that I would have refused and I don't buy from them as i ve always preferred GAK customer service

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Ahahah it does not surprise me Chris!

Before I moved south I ve applied for Italian marketing position at gear4music, all tge care is about the ego of tge guy who started tge company

I went there and I had even  a 2 hour  interview which included also translating fromEnglish into Italian.... However I was offered a job on the spot and they told me they would send me a contract over email. I was so happy the same evening I went to my other job and handed in my notice.....

After a week of not receiving the email I contacted them to find out the filled the position with another guy (not Italian)

Their excuse was that they tried calling me but they couldn't get in touch (bolloc. S)

Even if I was offered a job after that I would have refused and I don't buy from them as i ve always preferred GAK customer service

Yes I remember you telling me, and others have had similar experiences. You don’t happen to know the owners contact details?

1 minute ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Sounds exciting.. do tell

Yeah I’ll get to writing my memoirs soon. The film rights are available if anyone wants to bid. I’ll be played by Adrian Brody (similar sized nose)

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, ahpook said:

Maybe it's to head off any exploration of why you didn't get it - not in a sinister way, just 'Don't bother us for feedback or a reason why we didn't employ you' style of thing.

This.

The full subtext of the letter is ;

Hi Chris,

Our legal bods have told us that, what with discrimination and employment laws being the way they are, and our managers being a bit careless with their phrasing now and then, it’s better if we send everyone the same rejection letter. Rather than us say ‘we looked at your application and decided you’re not for us because you’re too old/young/male/female/white/non-white/gay/straight/disabled/tattooed/chavvy/posh/whatever’ (delete as appropriate) and leave ourselves open to all sorts of moaning and whining about discrimination and sexism, racism or some other -ism, we figure it’s just easier to send you a letter that says ‘Aw, Chris, mate, what a bummer. You’re probably awesome but wouldn’t ya know, we just took someone on’.
This way, we can safely junk your application because you’re waaaaay over qualified and old when really we just want a young school leaver - preferably a pretty one with nice legs (not that you can say that these days, see my point above, God, what is this world coming to? It’s political whotsit it gone mad) - and you’ve got no comeback. So, like, thanks and all that, but, hey, vacancy filled So, y’know..... Good to hear from you though. You have a great day.....”

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If you are making people redundant you have to give them first dibs at any new jobs.

Yes, but the job descriptions can be tailored to ensure certain people being made redundant won't qualify well. I've seen it first hand.

It's a jungle. 

It's clear that some rules are needed to prevent abuses, but the current rules don't seem to be very good at it and result in a lost of wasted time for everyone involved.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ped said:

Providing a facility for people to argue about planks of wood with strings on (Basschat) :)

That'll never take off.

Who could possibly want to spend their free time sat at a computer arguing about those silly things?

There will be no interest whatsoever. 

• Haha 1

I handed a CV in at 16 to Asda, where a friend of mine worked in the warehouse, because he reckoned it was easy money. I was working evenings in a hotel and wanted a few more hours. Asda sent me a letter saying that they weren't hiring and stating that they'd put my CV on file and contact me if any jobs came up. 

Fourteen years later, I'm still waiting for their call. I have all but given up hope. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Having given the matter serious deliberation I have reached a conclusion. It is probably for the best that Messrs gear4music did not offer Mr Pedro @ped a job.

Permit me to expand.

* Mr Ped is an intelligent, organised individual with boundless creativity and world-class problem-solving skills. To shackle one such to an entry-level job where he would doubtless be reporting to a mouth-breathing dullard of dubious personal hygiene whose sole accomplishment is the ability to sing the company song would be an unconscionable waste of Mr Ped's talents.

* IIRC, Messrs gear4music have long enjoyed (if that is the mot juste) a 'patchy' reputation on this forum. Were Mr Ped to be an employee of said company he might find his leisure hours disturbed by private messages from BassChat members the content of which communications might include but not be limited to: 'I ordered a set of 45-105 D'Adds last week. They aren't here yet. WTF not? Sort it pronto, shop boy'. 

I think we can imagine the damage such might do to Mr Ped's standing, based as it is on impeccable impartiality and omniscient omnipotence. His authority would be diminished; leadership rivals would fancy their chances; stillettos would be sent off for sharpening. The fabric of our community would be in clear and present danger.

* Mr @ped would be forced into constant and unceasing interaction with the shopping public, a group comprised in the main of (i) ill-informed nit-wits (ii) furious complainers who when asked their name reply 'I'm Mister Smith' (iii) dopey, passive-aggressive prevaricators and (iv) sundry other filth and sweepings of the gutter. While I might wish such an outcome upon my many enemies it must be clear to all here that Mr Ped does not merit such a fate, never mind that some of those he has dispatched to Finnbass Island might disagree.

* Painful though it may be we cannot avert our gaze from a possibility which would strike to the heart of the forum's rugged independence. Gear4music are Gibson stockists. Gibson not undeservedly get a hard time here on the forum, not least for their corporate shortcomings and the antics of those who run the company.

Imagine that Mr Ped were working at gear4music and that the Gibson rep swung by one day and someone were to say 'Oh, this is Ped, he's just joined us. He runs BassChat, y'know' and the blood might drain from the Gibson rep's face and he might say 'Oh. BassChat. The bass forum that savagely mocks my company's senior management on the basis of their competence, their personal appearance and their dress sense? The forum that made poor Henry's life a living hell? That BassChat?' and Mr Ped would reply in the affirmative and the Gibson rep and the gear4music spod might draw off to a distance and a muttered conversation might ensue and the gear4music spod might waddle back over and say: 'Look, Ped, we need to do something about the way that BassChat's members slag Gibson off' and an uncomfortable pause might ensue, whereafter Ped might say 'I really don't know what you mean' and difficult tensions might follow.

TLDR: I cannot rejoice that Mr Ped did not get the job. But it's probably just as well

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, ped said:

I started the site in about 2002 as Bassworld and since then it’s evolved and changed lots of times and had different names along the way!

Oh my good grief.

Its now been 17   years since i joined ?    JHC ,  the grey beard and tache of mine now makes sense.

Edited by fleabag