Why become a member? ×

Gear4music recruitment is a joke

ped

Hi guys 

Twice now I’ve applied for a job at Gear4music despite being told by others that they’re awful to work for. Each time I’ve taken a long time to prepare a really good cover letter and thought carefully about what I could bring to the roles which I know I’m well qualified for in experience. 

Both times now I’ve had the exact same email:

Dear Chris, 

Thank you for applying for our (insert job here) vacancy. We have recently filled this position and unfortunately did not get a chance to fully consider your application

We would however like to thank you for your interest in this role and wish you the best of luck with your job search.

(my emphasis)

...ok, so what does that mean? You didn’t read my application? The job was filled before you received it? The job was left as vacant even though it was filled? You gave it to the first person that applied? You looked at my application at 4:50 but wanted to get home for the end of The Chase? You think I sound useless? (Just say so!)

The email is clearly copied and pasted to everyone because as I say I’ve had the same email twice for two separate jobs which were about six months apart. 

Just venting I suppose. It’s given me a glimpse into working for them and already I can tell that they’d be a pain in the arse. I’ve probably dodged a bullet and should be thanking them, but I couldn’t resist emailing them back this time to ask exactly WTF their email actually means. 

• Sad 3

I applied for a job with the Government a few years ago when I was in my late 40s.  The job was verifying COMAH (Control of Major Accident Hazards) registered sites were complying with the requirements of their license. I've been involved in Oil, Gas, Petrochemicals and Pharmaceuticals since leaving school and visited my first major faciity at the age of 16.  I'm a Chartered Engineer with over 30 years experience in this field.

I thought I could make a contribution to society by doing this and I'd become disillusioned with the working methods of my clients anyway, The job was advertised with a salary about 60% of my last salaried position - although I'd been working on a self employed basis at more than double the salary for a few years.

It took over 2 hours to do the online application.  Within minutes of submission I got a rejection stating that I had insufficient experience.  I did check that they'd read my application and CV and apparently they had.  I got the distinct impression they had already selected an in house candidate and were advertising the role because they were obliged to.

If they'd said I had insufficient experience of something in particular, or an element of the job that I'd misunderstood I'd have just accepted it, but the stated reason was so clearly incorrect I was gobsmacked.

Their loss.

• Like 2

I applied for a job once, at a local authority. Did well at interview - they told me as much. However, I didn't get the job. I later found out via a contact that an internal candidate did and was always going to - however they had to advertise and interview externally as a matter of policy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, geoham said:

I applied for a job once, at a local authority. Did well at interview - they told me as much. However, I didn't get the job. I later found out via a contact that an internal candidate did and was always going to - however they had to advertise and interview externally as a matter of policy.

It's crazy - the policy should be that they don't waste people's time.

FWIW the jobs I applied for can't possibly have been internal candidates as they were entry level, but maybe they wanted to pay a sixth former sod all instead as the salary isn't disclosed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

It's crazy - the policy should be that they don't waste people's time.

FWIW the jobs I applied for can't possibly have been internal candidates as they were entry level, but maybe they wanted to pay a sixth former sod all instead as the salary isn't disclosed.

very likely

Although HR bods will correct me if I'm wrong on this but I'm pretty sure organisations of over a certain size have by law to advertise vacancies even if they already have an internal candidate in place. Yeah it really sucks and wastes everyones' time but it makes Gov't employment figures look better vis a vis unemployed/vacancy numbers.

Lies, damned lies and statistics 🙄

I applied for a job with the local authority back in 2000 as an exteranl candidate and got it over the internal candidate. It soon became apparent he was a nightmare  and I was brought in to 'babysit him' and as my deputy he did his upmost to discredit and undermine me. He eventually left for a job ' more commensurate to his experience"(his words)  in the voluntary sector and lasted a couple of months before he was let go. He then embarked on lengthy unfair dismissal procedures which I got dragged into. He was one of those guys when you mentioned his name people took a sharp intake of breath...

Edited by yorks5stringer

4 hours ago, dave moffat said:

Although HR bods will correct me if I'm wrong on this but I'm pretty sure organisations of over a certain size have by law to advertise vacancies even if they already have an internal candidate in place. Yeah it really sucks and wastes everyones' time but it makes Gov't employment figures look better vis a vis unemployed/vacancy numbers.

Yep and its a stupid law, is it not? If you already have an employee who you know will do a great job then why waste time, money and candidates time advertising and interviewing. Some people come over great at interview, only to prove useless at the job. Anyway, if you promote from within it frees up another position lower down the chain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geoham said:

I work for a local authority and you are 100% correct. In my experience, the person who will get the job has already been picked from within the council but the job still has to  be advertised to outside candidates, due to regulations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machines said:

I know for a fact some NHS bodies advertise and interview external candidates when they've already decided which internal one will get it. And the post was created for that person too. 

Not entirely true, but can be the case to a degree. 
There is often a ‘preferred’ candidate however for a good number of positions there have to be external and impartial people present, so an external can still out gun the internal

8 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Not entirely true, but can be the case to a degree. 
There is often a ‘preferred’ candidate however for a good number of positions there have to be external and impartial people present, so an external can still out gun the internal

Interview scoring is subjective and easily biased. I've seen band 7 roles be assigned as per my initial post. 

1 hour ago, ped said:

At least then you’d get a letter of rejection rather then them saying they didn’t even look!! Blows my mind, that does!! 

Maybe it's to head off any exploration of why you didn't get it - not in a sinister way, just 'Don't bother us for feedback or a reason why we didn't employ you' style of thing.

Not that it doesn't strike me as weird tho.

Just now, ahpook said:

Maybe it's to head off any exploration of why you didn't get it - not in a sinister way, just 'Don't bother us for feedback or a reason why we didn't employ you' style of thing.

Not that it doesn't strike me as weird tho.

Yeah maybe. I’m looking forward to a reply to my email, assuming their ‘recruitment’ people are able to use non-template emails! 

4 hours ago, dave moffat said:

We advertise some jobs as internal only when say, there are several good internal candidates. Having told people that career development is available, saves peeing your staff off. We've got about 4,000 employees.

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Yeah maybe. I’m looking forward to a reply to my email, assuming their ‘recruitment’ people are able to use non-template emails! 

I'll/We'll be interested/excited /inspired to hear/see /perceive the reply :)

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Machines said:

Interview scoring is subjective and easily biased. I've seen band 7 roles be assigned as per my initial post. 

Hence my post saying to a degree. I never said it was completely untrue, as what I said happens holds water, it would be unfair to completely demonise the whole institution.

It is dependent on the make of the panel

I went through 3 stages of interview for a civilian role within the RAF as a fitness instructor when I was in my 20s. I had all the relevant qualifications and experience. The third stage was a 2 day assessment at one of their bases specifically for fitness instructors. A week or so later I got a letter confirming that I had passed everything and that they were now pleased to offer me a job as a winch operator on a rescue helicopter. I contacted to highlight their mistake and was told they no longer have civilian fitness trainers but that they thought I'd be great as a winch operator. 

That was the end of that.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

I went through 3 stages of interview for a civilian role within the RAF as a fitness instructor when I was in my 20s. I had all the relevant qualifications and experience. The third stage was a 2 day assessment at one of their bases specifically for fitness instructors. A week or so later I got a letter confirming that I had passed everything and that they were now pleased to offer me a job as a winch operator on a rescue helicopter. I contacted to highlight their mistake and was told they no longer have civilian fitness trainers but that they thought I'd be great as a winch operator. 

That was the end of that.

You’d be awesome on a winch though 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

Have to say the winch operator role sounds way more fun.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dave moffat said:

Although HR bods will correct me if I'm wrong on this but I'm pretty sure organisations of over a certain size have by law to advertise vacancies even if they already have an internal candidate in place.

I'm not an HR bod, but you are wrong. There is no law forcing a company to advertise internally or externally. There is a law that prevents employers discriminating against internal or external candidates.

Depending on the organisation, there may be local agreements in place with trades unions to advertise vacancies internally before going external.

• Like 3