Why become a member? ×

Andrew Gouche

bubinga5

For someone who doesn't read music.!!. This guy is sometimes accused of over playing. My take is when the notes hes playing are this creative I really dont care. As long as the cat can groove. And groove he can. Musical director for Chaka Khan. Some of his fills are soooooo gospel/shout and just magic. I also love that he really emphasises on finger style. Rarely double thumb and slap are used. When he does slap, its just thumb/slap and its used in context and for a certain part. He dwarfs that MTD 6 string. What a fantastic bass player this guy is. a joy to watch and hear IMO.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Phenomenal playing... but how no earth has he managed to  have a career and avoid crippling right hand carpal tunnel syndrome?  That wrist posture!!!!!!!!!

It's a bit extreme, isn't it.

Most of this video seems to be played with a very light touch, the strings hardly move when he plucks them.  Years ago, he was playing the Ken Smith with a longer strap. The current technique doesn't seem to include "digging in".

But what a good technique. Anyone after a video of how to play a bass with little effort just watch AG. No stretching and if the bass line moves outside the 2 fret "box" he moves his hand to the new position. Never mind the floating thumb, a floating left hand is the  secret.