Why become a member? ×

John East. It arrived....

bubinga5

Well the story starts from my Sei. Some might know that I sold it. To Carlsim on BC who is a total gent and a very cool guy.

Said bass was posted too Carl. Carl then got in contact with me. I posted in my advert that the preamp was a a UNI Pre. I meant to say it was a U Retro Deluxe but I advertised it wrong. My fault of course. Well after a few PMs back and forth Carl worked out that it wasn't either. It was actually a J Retro Deluxe. BUT the bell plate when it was fitted was not installed, so I presumed it was a U Retro Deluxe. Confusion much so. 

Anyway it was a pain in the derrière for Carl because he had paid for a bass that wasn't what he expected. So I sent him some money to get the Preamp that he wanted which he wanted being the UNI pre.lets hope it fits we/he said.But all was cool. John East sent him a Uni pre and bless Carl. He un installed the J Retro and then fitted the Uni pre which he is happy with. Carl after a few PMs sent the preamp direct to John

I spoke to John East about this situation through numerous emails and on the phone throughout this situation which he always answered. I then spoke to John about getting a new Jazz bell plate for said  J Retro. He said on the phone that he had a plate no probs.

Now this is where John East is not just one of the greatest designers of possibly one of the best preamps for a bass on the market, but one of the most easy to get hold of nicest guys and one on one its like talking to your next door neighbour  . I spoke to him and he said to send him the preamp, he would give me a free plate from his stock that has a slight blemish, he would then rewire the preamp and fit new knobs.! FOR FREE.!! all I have to do is cover the postage..  I don't really need to add much to this. I dont want want to endorse asking John to give away free stuff, but what a guy and what a gesture.

For me first off this is what BC is about . Honesty, communication, and wanting other bass players to be happy with what you have sold them. But really its a big up to John East. What a gentleman.. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 36

I was thinking about John just the other day - I was driving home from rehearsal in Leicester and my sat nav avoided traffic on the M40 by driving straight past his house. I recognised the aerodrome opposite and had just worked out where I was when I drove past his place.

Lovely chap, I bought a uni pre from him last year for an Ibanez six, but it wouldn't fit. He invited me over, we chatted for an hour or more while he had a good look at the bass, confirmed that the pre amp wasn't going to fit because of the way the cavity was made, and refunded me the money. Shame though, I have had one of his pre amps in another Ibanez six and it was great - sold it because it was too heavy for our 2 1/2 - 3 hour gigs. I hadn't considered that I couldn't slip one of his pre amps into the lighter replacement without some serious non-reversible surgery. I am still thinking of going down that route though.

A very knowledgable, very pleasant man. 

• Like 2

thumbs up for JE have bought a one new from him and two preloved and he has done repairs to them and been very polite and friendly dealing over phone and carrying out repairs

(ps if you buy a new unit from him please buy with confidence - the only reason i needed a repair was because it was a preloved item from this here very basschat  forum which wasnt in the greatest of condition regards the ribbon connector cables and John did the repair at a very reasonable fee too)

Edited by steve-bbb

Lovely story, I have a uni pre going into my Shuker custom build and am also toying with replacing the pre on my 5 string Jazz with either a East or Aguilar.

If you buy an East from John directly is fitting a standard service he offers?

Indeed John East is a very nice chap. Every time I emailed questions (and I emailed a lot) he answered within the next day or even the same day. When I needed a schematic for a pre series preamp, he emailed me his hand drafts. No sure anyone in the business would do this.

So thumbs up to John. 👍

• Like 1

As the buyer of the Sei, it wasn't an issue with the j-retro itself, for me the format of the setup was something I couldn't get on with (primarily the lack of pup blend in both active and passive modes) - anyway, Andy was a top bloke and we got it all sorted.

I would like to reiterate what Andy says about John - I had numerous discussions with him about fitting the uni pre and he gave me loads of advice as well as supplying a modified version to fit the Sei.

Anyway - its a great bass, amazing preamp and John is probably one of the nicest guys to deal with out there. As someone else earlier mentioned, he is da bomb!!

• Like 1

Yep completely agree. I once dropped by John's house, completely unannounced without an appointment, on the off chance he would sell me a mm pre. Not only was he more than happy to oblige he also invited me in for a look around the workshop and he offered to install the preamp for me.

True gent. 

I've been friends with John since 1990, and i met him through a friend and jammed with him back then. He's always been the nicest guy and  incredibly helpful.  He was on the digital team that built a monstrous desk for Pete Gabriel.

What he doesnt know about electronics  could be etched on the perforated edge of a 1st class stamp

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 23:19, bubinga5 said:

Well the story starts from my Sei. Some might know that I sold it. To Carlsim on BC who is a total gent and a very cool guy.

Said bass was posted too Carl. Carl then got in contact with me. I posted in my advert that the preamp was a a UNI Pre. I meant to say it was a U Retro Deluxe but I advertised it wrong. My fault of course. Well after a few PMs back and forth Carl worked out that it wasn't either. It was actually a J Retro Deluxe. BUT the bell plate when it was fitted was not installed, so I presumed it was a U Retro Deluxe. Confusion much so. 

Anyway it was a pain in the derrière for Carl because he had paid for a bass that wasn't what he expected. So I sent him some money to get the Preamp that he wanted which he wanted being the UNI pre.lets hope it fits we/he said.But all was cool. John East sent him a Uni pre and bless Carl. He un installed the J Retro and then fitted the Uni pre which he is happy with. Carl after a few PMs sent the preamp direct to John

I spoke to John East about this situation through numerous emails and on the phone throughout this situation which he always answered. I then spoke to John about getting a new Jazz bell plate for said  J Retro. He said on the phone that he had a plate no probs.

Now this is where John East is not just one of the greatest designers of possibly one of the best preamps for a bass on the market, but one of the most easy to get hold of nicest guys and one on one its like talking to your next door neighbour  . I spoke to him and he said to send him the preamp, he would give me a free plate from his stock that has a slight blemish, he would then rewire the preamp and fit new knobs.! FOR FREE.!! all I have to do is cover the postage..  I don't really need to add much to this. I dont want want to endorse asking John to give away free stuff, but what a guy and what a gesture.

For me first off this is what BC is about . Honesty, communication, and wanting other bass players to be happy with what you have sold them. But really its a big up to John East. What a gentleman.. 

Can I just point out something in this story that you mentioned, as part of the story background, but you didn't really focus on.

This came about because you made an honest mistake, and when confronted by it, you behaved honourably and did what you believed was the right thing to do. You didn't make a fuss, you showed respect, and helped the other person out. Often times this might not have happened, but for me, it was your actions here that initiated a very positive experience.

I'm a firm believer in the whole "karma" principal - you do something good, eventually you get that good energy back. In your case, it just happened a little quicker and more directly than normal.

Not trying to take credit from John East here, but you deserve some props here as well.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bassaussie said:

Can I just point out something in this story that you mentioned, as part of the story background, but you didn't really focus on.

This came about because you made an honest mistake, and when confronted by it, you behaved honourably and did what you believed was the right thing to do. You didn't make a fuss, you showed respect, and helped the other person out. Often times this might not have happened, but for me, it was your actions here that initiated a very positive experience.

I'm a firm believer in the whole "karma" principal - you do something good, eventually you get that good energy back. In your case, it just happened a little quicker and more directly than normal.

Not trying to take credit from John East here, but you deserve some props here as well.

I will second this - Andy was a diamond throughout and did everything he could to rectify the situation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carlsim said:

I will second this - Andy was a diamond throughout and did everything he could to rectify the situation.

And this is the magic about BassChat, most of us would have act like this.

I would and have always act like this.

• Like 1

I've met John on numerous occasions and he has no real reason to remember who I am, I'm not a pro, or a serious player on any level any more, and yet he always recognises me.
He's an absolute gentleman and as stated above the designer of some of the, if not thee best preamps in the world.

If only the world had more John Easts!

Eude