Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash - Now Sunday 19th September 2021

scrumpymike

20 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Mike and his family work so hard to bring this event to fruition.

Without them I would spend another day typing conversations with distant strangers here on Basschat. Instead I got to meet some of those people in real three dimensional life. I got to geek out about pedals with people who care about them like I do. I got to share stories, to sit and eat wonderful food with folk who felt like old friends within minutes of striking up a conversation. I got to try instruments I'd never seen or heard of, to show off a couple of mine and to compare the dimensions of two tiny amps with men who care as much as I do about such things.

This didn't happen by magic. It happened through hard work, an awful lot of time and dedication from @scrumpymike and his family.

You made my day, and I am truly grateful. 

Hear hear absolutely and completely. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great  to meet friendly new faces and see others again.

Big shout out to Mike and the wonderful Kitchen Crew and their Marvellous Munchies (and limitless tea, thank heaven!)

I got distracted by all the wonderful basses and missed the cab shootout DOH!

Thanks to Mike and everyone involved in the organisation and for bringing along lovely basses, cabs and even stranger things

P.S. that's a fantastic photo of @scrumpymike by @stewblack)

P.P.S. Dropped in on my brother on the way back, turns out his band is starting back up, rehearsing next week and a gig booked already 🙂

P.P.P.S. He persuaded me into doing a pre-order on a Green Epiphone Embassy instead of waiting for one to come into stock. Let's hope it's a good one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Scrumpymike, Mrs Scrump & the Scrumpettes for another great Bass Bash!

Nice to see all you familiar faces too!

I'm all socialled out. Played some cool stuff today. 

Highlights were lunch (of course) then the bass highlights were Pinball's shortscale Supro Huntingdon & G&L (with beast mode toggle switch!!!!)

Rich's Sire 5er (very nice feel). Yorks5stringer's Warwick Star bass (lovely). Woody's Shuker Uberhorn (Ooerr missus etc) & mind blown by his Chapman stick (still boggled). Stewblack's Hofner Beatle bass (never tried one before, was pleasantly surprised).

Jabba's really cute Telecaster short scale build & Stub's Fender Flea jazz bass (very noice).

See you next year!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personal highlights:

1. The food. Obvs. :lol:

2. Seeing all you fabulous folks again :)

3. @Jabba_the_gut's (as always) beautiful instruments. Sir, I continue to be in complete awe of your handiwork. 

4. Finally getting my hands on a real 80s Fender Performer bass (courtesy of @Stub Mandrel) and very definitely not being disappointed. I already wanted one, now I'm desperate..!

5. The absolutely incredible sound of the latest BC 112 cabs. Sonic perfection and an absolute credit to all involved in their development. 

6. The whole day, really. Fabulous. Massive thanks to the Scrumpy Krew for all your hard work. We are not worthy. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I am much more concerned the organisers may be out of pocket. Happy to contribute to a whip round if this is the case

Most kind Stew but honestly no need.  Despite the lower than average turnout, today's event broke even because we made enough money in 2019 to cover the hall booking for 2020 and then the hall didn't charge us anything for postponing until this year.

• Like 7

We are talking about a move to Hereford /Gloucestershire/ Somerset so may be at a future one 

have to persuade employer to let me WFH forever though 

my dear partner was good enough to clear the diary for midlands bash this year so it does set something of a precedent 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2

Plus of course the raffle was so well supplied with goodies that everyone ended up with something :D 

@Jabba_the_gutI hope you get on ok with the Heffalump pedal... if you want my build docs at any point so you can tweak it (or even reinstate the missing blend) give me a shout and I will gladly let you have them.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's a tweaked Woolly Mammoth clone I built, with partial success (some of the tweaking worked, others didn't :lol: ). I wasn't using it, so I lobbed it into the raffle pile.

How much would One of those cost? 

Edited by Rich

36 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

How much would One of those cost? 

In terms of parts, it's really quite reasonable. I put together a shopping list of all the components I'd need (although I actually had quite a few to hand already) from Bitsbox, and together with the PCB from Fuzzdog it all came to about 31 quid. I got the enclosure and footswitch from eBay. A bit of drilling and soldering and hey presto.

I subsequently made a 'Heffalump Junior' version in a smaller enclosure, with no blend or battery, and it was slightly cheaper at 27 quid.

image.png.86f9bbf2b2a9bc43971da48773a0e684.png

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Plus of course the raffle was so well supplied with goodies that everyone ended up with something :D 

@Jabba_the_gutI hope you get on ok with the Heffalump pedal... if you want my build docs at any point so you can tweak it (or even reinstate the missing blend) give me a shout and I will gladly let you have them.

The raffle is always a major contributor to Bash revenue.  Yesterday we averaged 5 tickets per attendee and that money is clear profit.  What a generous bunch we are 😊

• Like 2

Here is the link to the FOC website our friend Richard created for the last Bash, which now contains yesterday's pic's as well.  He hasn't had time to do an edit and is away for a few days now so everything is there - including some blurred images where the autofocus on his camera has focussed on the wrong thing.  You can view and/or copy whatever you want from here:

https://bigfatswbassbash.weebly.com/

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rich said:

Hi Rich,

Cheers for this - will have fun trying it out! If you have any documents for it that would be great.

Thanks again

A very big thank you to Mike and everyone that helped put this event on - your effort is genuinely appreciated. It was so nice to get together with everyone again and catch up.

It's not just about basses as over lunch we:

• We cured old age pains that make you go arrrggghh when you sit down or get up (just requires rhubarb crumble)
  • We shared a recipe for the perfect salad dressing#
  • Ate some very nice food. Went back for more. And went back for more again.....

For anyone that hasn't been to this before, put it in your diary for next year. It is such a friendly event in a beautiful setting. I'm looking forward to the next one already!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1