Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash - Now Sunday 19th September 2021

scrumpymike

Much as I want to go to this, after all it is the Mother of all Bass Bashes, on reflection I personally wouldn’t feel safe enough to attend. People driving in from all corners to cram into a confined space and then pass their basses from person to person sounds like a recipe for potential infection to me. So until there is a vaccine (unlikely) or treatment/medicines to mitigate the more severe effects of the virus I’ll have to pass.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Much as I want to go to this, after all it is the Mother of all Bass Bashes, on reflection I personally wouldn’t feel safe enough to attend. People driving in from all corners to cram into a confined space and then pass their basses from person to person sounds like a recipe for potential infection to me. So until there is a vaccine (unlikely) or treatment/medicines to mitigate the more severe effects of the virus I’ll have to pass.

Some good points Frank. Perhaps the bash will have to be held with social distancing in mind. it is a shame we could not do it now as the sunshine would allow us to have those huge french(ish) doors and windows open and we could spill onto the veranda.

• Like 2

I reckon plenty of hand sanitiser should cover the handling of instruments.

The SE & Midlands bashes I've been to have had plenty of space for folks, so distancing shouldn't be an insurmountable issue.

Masks if you need them - just like in shops & suchlike.

The bottom line is you'll probably be more at risk going to a supermarket. (IMHO)

Plus a healthy dose of common sense on the part of all attendees.

I haven’t been in a supermarket since a week before lockdown (when I decided to lockdown) I’m almost sixty, overweight and diabetic. I am quietly confident that the SW Bash will be an annual event for many years to come and (as long as I haven’t sold my gear and given up playing bass, which is a distinct possibility) I have no doubt that I will be attending them in the future but until the criteria in my earlier comment have been met it’s a no no for me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, prowla said:

I reckon plenty of hand sanitiser should cover the handling of instruments.

The SE & Midlands bashes I've been to have had plenty of space for folks, so distancing shouldn't be an insurmountable issue.

Masks if you need them - just like in shops & suchlike.

The bottom line is you'll probably be more at risk going to a supermarket. (IMHO)

Plus a healthy dose of common sense on the part of all attendees.

There's considerably less space at this venue than the one used at last year's SE bash, with at least the same number of attendees if not more. @Frank Blank is right to be concerned given his health levels, and his comments have given me reason to think. I'm still on the fence, but certainly the layout with regards to social distancing is going to have to be different to previous years (the dinner gathering for example, always very enjoyable but not a good idea at the moment)

🤔

Don't worry guys, unless the risk is manageable to the point of being practically negligible we won't be going ahead.  There is NOBODY more risk-averse than me and Mrs Scrumpy when it comes to covid-19.  We're moving forward on the basis that it's still on unless/until it's called off, and the only reasonable approach is to decide closer to the time, say around the end of August.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Mr and Mrs Scrumpy have spoken. 

Thanks Mike, that's the kind of clear, unambiguous leadership this country needs. 

The good news is that Somerset was pronounced Covid free recently. 

Not that I have the faintest idea what that means. 

19 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The good news is that Somerset was pronounced Covid free recently. 

Not that I have the faintest idea what that means. 

Only part of someset (sedgemoor). It means that they haven't managed to test anyone who has it. Maybe they have done the trump thing and just stopped testing!

10 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

We're moving forward on the basis that it's still on unless/until it's called off, and the only reasonable approach is to decide closer to the time, say around the end of August.

Worst case scenario: we cancel at short notice and Mike needs us to collectively stump up the deposit for the hall. Not the end of the world, and much better than the avoidable end of a basschatter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Richard R said:

Worst case scenario: we cancel at short notice and Mike needs us to collectively stump up the deposit for the hall. Not the end of the world, and much better than the avoidable end of a basschatter.

I'm happy to leave my payment with @scrumpymike to assist with this. I wouldn't want you to be out of pocket 👍

• Like 3

On 30/07/2020 at 21:20, Frank Blank said:

I haven’t been in a supermarket since a week before lockdown (when I decided to lockdown) I’m almost sixty, overweight and diabetic. I am quietly confident that the SW Bash will be an annual event for many years to come and (as long as I haven’t sold my gear and given up playing bass, which is a distinct possibility) I have no doubt that I will be attending them in the future but until the criteria in my earlier comment have been met it’s a no no for me.

Like you Frank, I shielded from 17th March being a chronic asthmatic and will watch the infection figures with interest. With the resumption of live indoor performances postponed we must all be vigilant and stay alive to perform again.

• Like 1

Bugger!  Just heard our only remaining gig of 2020 has been cancelled by Minehead Council - Saturday 29 August outdoors on the big bandstand in Blenheim Gardens.  I'm guessing they're anticipating a local 'spike' following the re-opening of Butlins ☹️

• Sad 2

On 31/07/2020 at 15:40, Woodinblack said:

Only part of someset (sedgemoor). It means that they haven't managed to test anyone who has it. Maybe they have done the trump thing and just stopped testing!

It means the testers they sent into the bog didn't come back...

It's like Deliverance down there...

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...