Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash - Now Sunday 19th September 2021

scrumpymike

My initial reaction was "ah feck it, I'm probably going to catch the bloody thing sooner or later anyway, let's do it"... but with my boringly sensible and slightly less rock'n'roll head on, I think postponement may be the thing to do. As others have said, I will gladly contribute if you're going to end up out of pocket. 

I'm on the fence with this but I am also in daily contact with 7-9 jobs a day in social housing so my risk factor is high and my wife is on a lot of immune suppressants, on balance I think a postponement is probably the best thing but who really knows it is still a flue virus nothing more, but those with breathing or immune issues are always at risk.

Heart says "let's do it". But mind says postpone. And mind has to win in this case, as I may be alright if I catch it, but others may have serious complications if I pass it to them.

I'm happy to pay now whatever needs to, and we'll keep in touch here as to when it's safer to meet.

Edited by olipaulo

36 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Excuses? Common sense I think would be a more apt description. Much as I love the SWBB I think that very common sense will be prevailing in my case.

But but, there's so much more at stake here 

16 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

As a diabetic I’m firmly in the ‘at risk’ category and going nowhere until we are over the ‘peak’.

Yikes, I hadn't thought of that. I'm type 2 and only just, but even so I guess that still puts me 'at risk'..?

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yikes, I hadn't thought of that. I'm type 2 and only just, but even so I guess that still puts me 'at risk'..?

I'm type 2 as well but as such our condition is (hopefully) under control with drugs so our risk of contracting it is similar to those without but there are possible complications if we do contract it. Personally I'm just not taking any risks whatsoever.

3 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

I get the feeling that we're only a week or so away from a formal "Lockdown" so the postponement decision may well be made for us by the Government.

If so @scrumpymike you may be able to be in a better position to discuss the options with the hall trustees. 

My sources say two things, If I, a chronic asthmatic that has had several bouts of pneumonia ( so callde co-morbidities) were in need of a respirator as was an otherwise fit 22 yera old and only one was available, guess who would not get it... moi.

Secondly, all the advice was given because there are no powers to make us do something. That can (and will) change as an emergency bill passes. I predict it will be in place by next weekend.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

I think postponement is the best option, looking at what has happened in Italy and Spain. You can have this virus and be spreading it to others for 5 days before you even get any symptoms. It would be difficult to keep all the basses and gear clean throughout the day not to mention sharing the food.  Happy to help cover costs if applicable.