Why become a member? ×

John East Uni Pre 4 Knob Issue in Active Mode

Meypelnek

Hi there, I hope this is the right section of the forum. May I ask if any of you experienced a similar issue with the Uni Pre (4 knob)? I have dropped an email to John East but it is Friday, and I am just keen to get this going before the weekend ends ...

Upon testing the preamp I recognized in passive mode everything works well - clear tone from both pickups of my Sandberg VM5, both PUs soloed as well as blended at center detent. However, once switching into the active mode I do not hear the signal from the PUs any longer, perhaps very faint. I however hear a hiss that can be turned up and down via the volume pot and I can also EQ the hiss, if you know what I mean: Increasing bass is notable, changing the midfrequency while boosting the mids, etc. Hence battery is working, output jack is correctly connected, EQ (all three bands) is working - there is just not much signal coming through from the PUs.
Changing the battery has no effect as well.

Thanks and cheers!

Just email John East.

I bought a J-Retro pre amp from him that was faulty (no earth wire attached). I sent it back to him and he repaired it for free.

If you've not installed it correctly, he'll advise you what you need to do.

Edit: I see you've already emailed him.....my bad.

Edited by gjones