Why become a member? ×

What's the next step up for me? Bass options

Friskydingo

Ive just got a second hand Ibanez SR1820. It’s the best sounding bass I’ve had. Had first band practice with it on Tuesday and got a text from guitar player earlier saying how good it sounds! It’s one of the premium range with the Nordstrand big single pickups. If you like a light versatile bass with a slim neck they could be for you too.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Unless you don’t really get on with the Jazz in general I’d look at a higher priced Jazz, you never know, you may just prefer the one you already have. I looked for ages for a Jazz I could really gel with, had an array of American and Mexican ones, Standards/Deluxes etc, never found it. Lucked out by chance with a Squier VM77 Jazz. And if you do find a more expensive one you’re happy with, well result.

I actually really like the jazz, so a fender may be what I need. I played a mates low end fender and liked it, just viewing options.

The VM basses are ridiculously good quality for the money. I'd suggest finding a well-stocked shop and taking your own bass along to do real A/B comparisons. Don't be surprised if you find yourself struggling to justify buying a replacement.

I've posted this vid before but it does serve to demonstrate that unmodified Squier VMs are good enough for some pro players. He uses a couple of other basses for different songs - they're Squier VM Jazzes.

• Like 1

I had a VM Precision that I sold and upgraded to a US Standard, then instantly regretted it. The Squier sounded better!

After buying many basses blind online that I haven't gelled with, I'm a firm believer that the best way is to just get to a shop and try as many as you can!

On 11/10/2019 at 16:29, Delberthot said:

I thought that the Vintera series was made in Mexico as a more traditionally styled instrument when compared to the Player series which has the newer pickups.

I am very happy with my modified Harley Benton but chose a US Jazz because out of the 140+ basses I've owned I've never had a US Jazz bass before.

There's around £300 of parts on my HB Jazz, all of which I had from various projects over the years. The only thing I did to make the bass better to play was file the edges of the frets. Other than that it's an incredibly well made bass.

I had a few of the early VM Jazz basses, both fretted and fretless, and the one thing I didn't like about them was that they felt too light. 

You are correct, blame brain fade on my behalf.

On 11/10/2019 at 14:22, Low End Bee said:

I'd try and get to a music shop/s or a bass bash and play a few. I went on a research expedition a couple of months ago and ended up buying something that wasn't on my list and not what I thought I wanted or liked. I'm very happy with it.

+1

Don’t automatically presume that more expensive = better. 
also look on here secondhand too

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

I always look for second hand. Most of my gear is used or b-stock

Maybe the best question would be - I’ve got £800 (or whatever) - show me the best secondhand jazz style you can. (With links)

that way you’re going to get folk recomend stuff that’s a wee bit more unusual but good 

On 11/10/2019 at 12:25, Friskydingo said:

I've grown up/matured and moved on to bass permanently for my rock covers band. I currently own a squire vm j bass and it does the job well but I'm looking at possible upgrade. 

What's a decent jump up in quality? Without going in to the £1000's

I'm still looking at 2 passive pick ups, doesn't have to be j bass but I do like that style style. I've been playing guitar/bass in some form for close to 19 years so I'm seasoned. 

Thanks,

Chris 

Guy Pratt has a signature model coming out, under £500, based on his extremely valuable fender jazz - if you’re a fan of the tones he gets, could be worth it. He says he actually takes it out on the road, so it’s a good sign. 

Get out there and try some stuff, though. Half the fun is seeing what the signature sounds are of some of the basses, to see if they fit.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2019 at 14:27, Friskydingo said:

I never like to compromise on choice but I also search for the cheapest version of what I want. 

And no way I'm spending 2k on a bass anytime soon

I'm definitely going to be trying some out first I just want an idea of how high a price point it's worth going up to find a noticeable change in quality 

was going to disagree with the notion of spending 2k on a bass in your position, but based on personal experience, I wouldn't rule it out.

Over 20 years ago, I saved up what seemed a ridiculous sum of money, went to the Wapping Bass Centre and tried out everything I could get my mitts on.

I ultimately purchased a Vigier, and I still have it today. It's as good as ever, done some good stuff and has lots of good memories attached to it.

It could be argued that you could achieve the same with a cheaper bass, and that's true. If you can get yourself a "keeper", cost becomes less relevant.

It depends, of course, on your financial position. I did it when I was living at home and had no outgoings except running a car. In that respect, everyone's mileage may vary (pun not intended)

If you can find a real winner, almost irrespective of cost, then grab it.

If you like your current bass but want to "step it up" think about the SimS Pick up system - a pair will cost you around £450 but will give you 15 combinations of P/J/H - add a good pre (John East?) and you'll have a monster tonal package that other bassists would die for. 

IIRC there's a pair of SimS p/up for sale here for about half price.

I also switched primarily to bass when I joined a covers band, playing a Squier VM Jazz. After much deliberation I upgraded to an American Standard Fender Jazz, and I never regretted it. Everything about the US instrument was superior to the VM, maybe in small ways, but it all added up to a much nicer experience.

It also held its value fairly well when I came to sell, having bought a Precision...