Why become a member? ×

What's the next step up for me? Bass options

Friskydingo

I've grown up/matured and moved on to bass permanently for my rock covers band. I currently own a squire vm j bass and it does the job well but I'm looking at possible upgrade. 

What's a decent jump up in quality? Without going in to the £1000's

I'm still looking at 2 passive pick ups, doesn't have to be j bass but I do like that style style. I've been playing guitar/bass in some form for close to 19 years so I'm seasoned. 

Thanks,

Chris 

15 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Spector Coda might fit the bill if you want to sick with a J bass but get away from Fender/Squier. 

Good looking bass have to look out for one. I don't have to go away from fender, just wondering what's a appropriate jump, player series or low end American made

1 hour ago, Friskydingo said:

I currently own a squire vm j bass and it does the job well but I'm looking at possible upgrade.  

Do you mean an upgrade the audience will notice - i.e. for it to sound better? In which case, subjective, but changing the pickups and/or electronics is a common option.

Or an upgrade that perhaps only you will notice - build quality, finish, better tuners, lighter weight, etc?

8 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Do you mean an upgrade the audience will notice - i.e. for it to sound better? In which case, subjective, but changing the pickups and/or electronics is a common option.

Or an upgrade that perhaps only you will notice - build quality, finish, better tuners, lighter weight, etc?

An upgrade for me. Build, electronics, feel (although that's subjective) 

The audience don't matter. Especially when it's just the bar staff! 

New they are around £600 and have  a lovely neck and US pickups I believe. However if you are looking for a bargain ( and I have no connection with this):

Vinteras are nicer but around £800 new. The Players are Mexican made, the Vinteras, USA

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Twigman said:

If there's a bass you lust after just buy it whatever the cost be it £2k or more , even.

Whatever you buy now, if it's not the one you desire, you'll still hanker after the expensive one.

Bite the bullet and just get it.

I never like to compromise on choice but I also search for the cheapest version of what I want. 

And no way I'm spending 2k on a bass anytime soon

4 minutes ago, Low End Bee said:

I'd try and get to a music shop/s or a bass bash and play a few. I went on a research expedition a couple of months ago and ended up buying something that wasn't on my list and not what I thought I wanted or liked. I'm very happy with it.

I'm definitely going to be trying some out first I just want an idea of how high a price point it's worth going up to find a noticeable change in quality 

I would say that your best bet would be to find a shop with plenty of basses in stock, go in, sit down, and work through as many as you can. 

Be objective, what do you like, what don't you like, can you live with X over Y? Does it feel good? Does it play well? 

Don't be swayed by anyone but yourself. Buy the one you like the best.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

Which Sr and L mdel would be comparable to fender or best 'bang for buck'? 

There are plenty of threads that will give you the low down on on G&L and Ibanez SR basses, but as a guide:

G&L wise any of these https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=l_2000+tribute&searchoverride=

Ibanez, any of these https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=Ibanez+sr+bass&Filters.InStockOnly=True&Filters.InStockOnly=false&Filters.MinPrice=600&Filters.MaxPrice=1000

As has been said above, get out and try some (I only use Guitar Guitar as an easy to browse and search website, but they are a great company to deal with in my experience).

However, if you fancy taking punt, this is a bit of a bargain at €990, if you fancy a bit P+ action https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/exhibition-items-bass/465-jake-4a-sterling-white100169

5 minutes ago, Skybone said:

I would say that your best bet would be to find a shop with plenty of basses in stock, go in, sit down, and work through as many as you can. 

Be objective, what do you like, what don't you like, can you live with X over Y? Does it feel good? Does it play well? 

Don't be swayed by anyone but yourself. Buy the one you like the best.

^^^ This

• Like 1

Of course Sire get a lot of love here on BC, there should be something in their range that would suit https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/modern-bass-guitars?#facet:307445734561667667583105114101&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:96& 

Edited by ezbass

The first question is why you have to buy another? Do you have any idea?

What is wrong with the current instrument? Is it too light or too heavy? Colour? Sound options?

If you do not do your homework, you will be here after some time and ask help for one more bass. It is not wrong at all, but you do not seem to have the faintest idea of what is wrong, although something is not right.

If you are not able to specify the issues, your only way is to do lots of test drives. Human nature is not good in absolute values, as our senses are made for comparing stuff.

• Like 2

To everyone here, thanks to people who actually gave suggestions of basses

I do have an idea of what I'm looking for, I'm just a little confused over different models. I've been a guitar player for most of my life, so I'm more familiar with those ranges than basses

Of course I will try some out beforehand. Thank you to the numerous people offering this sage advice

For Fender, I think the best bang/buck ratio is to be found with the not-for-export Made In Japan / Crafted in Japan instruments. They crop up for sale on the forum occasionally - there's a '62 RI CIJ Jazz in the classifieds at the moment.

Or maybe a Yamaha - a 734 perhaps. Peach Guitars probably have one of these in stock. I played Loremil's 434 a couple of weeks ago, beautifully finished instrument with a very comfortable neck.

Edited by pete.young
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Vinteras are nicer but around £800 new. The Players are Mexican made, the Vinteras, USA

I thought that the Vintera series was made in Mexico as a more traditionally styled instrument when compared to the Player series which has the newer pickups.

I am very happy with my modified Harley Benton but chose a US Jazz because out of the 140+ basses I've owned I've never had a US Jazz bass before.

There's around £300 of parts on my HB Jazz, all of which I had from various projects over the years. The only thing I did to make the bass better to play was file the edges of the frets. Other than that it's an incredibly well made bass.

I had a few of the early VM Jazz basses, both fretted and fretless, and the one thing I didn't like about them was that they felt too light. 

50 minutes ago, pete.young said:

For Fender, I think the best bang/buck ratio is to be found with the not-for-export Made In Japan / Crafted in Japan instruments. They crop up for sale on the forum occasionally - there's a '62 RI CIJ Jazz in the classifieds at the moment.

Or maybe a Yamaha - a 734 perhaps. Peach Guitars probably have one of these in stock. I played Loremil's 434 a couple of weeks ago, beautifully finished instrument with a very comfortable neck.

The Yamaha BB range is well worth a look. Last time I spent a couple of days going round bass shops to try and find a bass I liked better with no set budget, I couldn't!

23 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I thought that the Vintera series was made in Mexico as a more traditionally styled instrument when compared to the Player series which has the newer pickups.

I am very happy with my modified Harley Benton but chose a US Jazz because out of the 140+ basses I've owned I've never had a US Jazz bass before.

There's around £300 of parts on my HB Jazz, all of which I had from various projects over the years. The only thing I did to make the bass better to play was file the edges of the frets. Other than that it's an incredibly well made bass.

I had a few of the early VM Jazz basses, both fretted and fretless, and the one thing I didn't like about them was that they felt too light. 

Modding a cheap bass is always an option and I have done that for guitars, so I have all the tools, as long  as I find a style and colour I like

Unless you don’t really get on with the Jazz in general I’d look at a higher priced Jazz, you never know, you may just prefer the one you already have. I looked for ages for a Jazz I could really gel with, had an array of American and Mexican ones, Standards/Deluxes etc, never found it. Lucked out by chance with a Squier VM77 Jazz. And if you do find a more expensive one you’re happy with, well result.