Why become a member? ×

What is the best Classic Bass Amp and Cab to Own

elvis100

Hello Bass Buggers! (What an Intro). I'm the sort of guy who collects old things like, cars, women and chairs, Vinyl so I got to thinking.....If there was one Amp and Cabinet for bass that you would own and keep as a Classic never sell what would it be? I genuinely dont know much about the subject other than knowing , that the 'rusty old combo' I sold many years ago was an Ampeg B-15. Yes that one......

Is Ampeg still where it's at or what new brand should I look at as a keeper. It needs to live at home so it must be a looker as well (like the dog).

Tell me what your choices would be and pics if you can get them..D

"Being a died in the wool Mesa fan I'd have to say the 400+ coupled to a diesel 215 or 1516 would give me all the tone and heft I'd ever need (plus a hernia)."

Show me some pics of this please.   

I found the 'B15' too boomy or perhaps too loud for my tiny flat and terrible playing back then. Sold it for double what I paid for it. Now I need 10 times to buy it back!

Yeah I've heard about SVtT Is it like really big or something? I'd want something that can makes a modern active bass sound good and be at home with smooth Motown grooves

7 hours ago, jacko said:

Being a died in the wool Mesa fan I'd have to say the 400+ coupled to a diesel 215 or 1516 would give me all the tone and heft I'd ever need (plus a hernia).

Diesel 1516 and D-180 here, mostly because it meant something to me personally from when I first got interested.  The D-180 isn't stupidly heavy either.   The 1516 is.

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Now that’s an amplifier, I play through a similar rig most Mondays and I love it!

I did, about 41 years ago when I was young and happier to move 'big kit' about.  Same with the Hiwatt 200.  Would quite like to try the Acoustic 370 head with my Barefaced Dubster :)

Yes ladies and gents, Thats great stuff. Not in a flat. Infact miles from anyone right now but that will change. Running a 1000watt of hi -fi almost flat out so need an amp and cab to play along with. I'm using a Fender Rumble 100 but it cant keep up but it wont die (so far).
out of interest if I had a real drummer how many Watts do I need from an Amp to be able to over power him (I mean play along in harmony) or her:)

30 minutes ago, elvis100 said:

Yes ladies and gents, Thats great stuff. Not in a flat. Infact miles from anyone right now but that will change. Running a 1000watt of hi -fi almost flat out so need an amp and cab to play along with. I'm using a Fender Rumble 100 but it cant keep up but it wont die (so far).
out of interest if I had a real drummer how many Watts do I need from an Amp to be able to over power him (I mean play along in harmony) or her:)

You're opening up a whole can of worms here. Firstly, watts are really pretty irrelevant when the efficiency of the cabinet and drivers are equally, if not more important. Broadly speaking, cheap, badly made stuff will advertise as very high wattage but doesn't convert into a good, or loud sound. Quality gear will achieve way more with much less advertised power. A decent 300 watt amp will melt your face but a cheap 1000 watt one will invariably sound crap at any volume.

You then have class d versus analogue or valve amps but we're now disappearing down the rabbit hole.

ok understand what youre saying about watts etc. I understand good hi-fi not just big watts. For shifting air/speakers loud and clean Class d amps rock. Maybe a very very big and very expensive tube amp can match but I'm using a very clean Class D Pro amp by Crown to drive some very trick and large Magneplanar speakers. The basically will kill most amps or sound poor below about 250 watts of input (bad or other wise). What Bass Amps are the best Class D these days?

Also my  hi-fi amp Class D doesnt even sweat at full wack 1000 watts per channel and is ridiculously distortion free. Its got fans that rarely need to come on.