Why become a member? ×

How to hype

ash

3 hours ago, ash said:

In the text he states 'why pay £105 for a private practice amplifier" which rather gives the game away and undercuts the £250 he wants....? On re-reading it this refers to another amp which he maybe has cut and pasted his blurb from, odd.

Ha ... I had one of these back in 1982 as my very first amp. They're truly terrible and as he points out, almost useless for bass. They fart and distort and quite low volume levels and really don't offer much at all in the way of good tone. The £250 is ambitious to say the least. These things are worth about 50 sheets top whack, certainly no more and I'd discourage anyone from buying one. They were crap back in the 80s and they're crap now.

The only thing it's useful for is hurling at the singer's head when they ask you to transpose a song into another key because "they can't sing that high / low" whilst they try to get a pair of headphones over a cowboy hat (this actually happened!).

3 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Ha ... I had one of these back in 1982 as my very first amp. They're truly terrible and as he points out, almost useless for bass. They fart and distort and quite low volume levels and really don't offer much at all in the way of good tone. The £250 is ambitious to say the least. These things are worth about 50 sheets top whack, certainly no more and I'd discourage anyone from buying one. They were crap back in the 80s and they're crap now.

The only thing it's useful for is hurling at the singer's head when they ask you to transpose a song into another key because "they can't sing that high / low" whilst they try to get a pair of headphones over a cowboy hat (this actually happened!).

They are also pretty good for setting your mates bedroom on fire! I had one and sold it to a mate when I brough a Carlsboro Cobra 90 bass amp, he had it for about 3 weeks, apparently he left it on, went downstairs to grab a drink and by the time he got back it was burning away nicely!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

They are also pretty good for setting your mates bedroom on fire! I had one and sold it to a mate when I brough a Carlsboro Cobra 90 bass amp, he had it for about 3 weeks, apparently he left it on, went downstairs to grab a drink and by the time he got back it was burning away nicely!

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I shouldn't laugh but that was funny. Typical British technology ... :)

From one bad amp to another ... !

DelightfulWealthyFanworms-size_restricte

• Haha 3

I must defend Carlsbro amps: I had a Cobra 90 that I gigged for 5 years before I bought my first Trace Elliot. Okay it couldn’t compete with the Trace in terms of punch and tone but it never let me down. I also still regularly use a Carlsbro Hornet keyboard combo that I’ve owned since 1989 again ultra reliable and still gigged, even the reverb works! I can’t comment on what they produce now however.