Why become a member? ×

Help me identify the colour of this bass

Osiris

Help me identify the colour of this bass  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Can you folks help me identify the colour of this bass, please? Asking for a friend (no really, I am) who, quite rightly, hates brown basses but steadfastly refuses to accept that he owns one.

• Brown
    • Brownish
    • Light brown
    • Dark brown
    • One of those poncy names that paint manufacturers use, something like Autumnal dog egg, when they really mean brown
    • Brown
    • Any other colour that's definitely not brown

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Probably walnut. They do another brown one called sunburst....

That Musicman is an odd colour - and what's happened to the fret markers? It looks like a darker honeyburst. 

There is a far simpler solution. Email the serial number to Ernie Ball Musicman Customer Services and they'll tell you - I'm guessing it's a non standard one if only from the lack of fret markers. 

My assertion has always been  that bass players are higher up the evolutionary scale than drummers - and guitarists - if some of the Basschat contributions to this thread is anything to go by, and is representative of all bass players at large, I may have to reappraise that view.......

You guys should have a go at defining Musicman trans green - now there's a colour!! 

Don't overthink this, it's meant to be a light hearted dig at a guy that a couple of us on here know who's quite vocal about how much he hates brown basses but won't accept that the one pictured, which is his, is actually brown. Which, of course, it is :lol:

• Like 1

Haha!! I hadn't appreciated that.

I bet like most players who play sunburst and the usual bass suspects, we don't see them as brown - which they all are to an extent - as evidenced by my Mrs's non-expert view. Unless you've got for instance a blue or red one, you're stuffed - it's brown!!

However none are as brown as walnut or mocha (which is what us bass players think of as brown - NB brown was a very popular car colour in the UK in the 70s as well - along with purple, lime green and orange - must be an era thing as that's when walnut was popular as a bass colour). 

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Challenge accepted.

Translucent Snotburst.

image.jpeg.c09448034817df89b17819ab6d5bd11c.jpeg

I've heard it referred to as used nappy colour.....(ps that's not my photo and don't know who's copyright it is). 

Very rare and quite reveered colour option!! 

Btw snotburst is surely a patented Fender colour?!!  

Edited by drTStingray

23 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

..with just a hint of prolapse.

11 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

this one is mine and is a thing of great beauty 👍😀

I'm so happy that the image you posted was not the one that leapt to mind.

(PS - it's lovely)

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

She calls my natural ash Stingray 'that wooden bass' 🤔

I kinda get that.

When I was young and ignorant (as opposed to old and ignorant) I thought those red "Hank Marvin" guitars were made out of bright red plastic.  When I first saw a natural finish I thought it was special because someone took the time to carve a guitar out of wood when others made theirs quickly using injection moulding.

I still get that vibe with Fenders and Musicmans* sometimes.

*Musicmen?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I kinda get that.

When I was young and ignorant (as opposed to old and ignorant) I thought those red "Hank Marvin" guitars were made out of bright red plastic.  When I first saw a natural finish I thought it was special because someone took the time to carve a guitar out of wood when others made theirs quickly using injection moulding.

I still get that vibe with Fenders and Musicmans* sometimes.

*Musicmen?

I still yearn for a P bass in that colour (Fiesta red?) - with a maple J neck... 😍