Why become a member? ×

Help me identify the colour of this bass

Osiris

Help me identify the colour of this bass  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Can you folks help me identify the colour of this bass, please? Asking for a friend (no really, I am) who, quite rightly, hates brown basses but steadfastly refuses to accept that he owns one.

• Brown
    • Brownish
    • Light brown
    • Dark brown
    • One of those poncy names that paint manufacturers use, something like Autumnal dog egg, when they really mean brown
    • Brown
    • Any other colour that's definitely not brown

7 hours ago, durhamboy said:

OK, all jokes aside,  I have to own up to liking brown basses, but only if they're brown due to being the natural color of the wood, can't stand brown paint jobs and unnatural looking brown stains.

But what's not to like about these brown beauties?

ZON_Sonus_4_Franq_Walnut_NAMM_GS_1_.jpg

IMG_4743-Edit_98076-160913-57d86535d618d__1462911770__1280__1280-855x1140.jpg

AGC 9.jpg

The browness, they have literally polished that poo!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, durhamboy said:

OK, all jokes aside,  I have to own up to liking brown basses, but only if they're brown due to being the natural color of the wood, can't stand brown paint jobs and unnatural looking brown stains.

Yeh, I don't mind natural wood brown (well, apart from pale wood), it is made brown I don't like. The top and the bottom one of those pictures are good. Don't like the middle one, but that isn't the woods fault.

16 hours ago, Osiris said:

@drTStingray There's no anti Musicman agenda, we're just having a bit of fun. Puerile perhaps but nothing malicious 😀

But for the record, I personally don't like brown basses. That includes sunburst. I don't like brown shoes either, brown brogues in particular are awful. They look like Crocs. But not everything brown upsets me, I regularly eat my own substantial weight in Dairy milk and gravy is the food of the gods. Oh, and Newcastle brown ale.  But toilet humour I can do. But that's just me and my misguided opinions!

@Osiris If you were an orchestral player you'd be well and truly f**ked then 😂😂

Even with bass guitars of all makes, there must be a pretty high proportion in the offending hue of brown - some in brown with tort guards!! Although as @AndyTravis has pointed out, some people seem to think some brown basses aren't brown at all!! 🤔

As far as Musicman goes, I've got quite a few of their basses and the majority aren't brown you'll be pleased to hear. BUT the archetypal bass guitar colour is generally sunburst, and particularly if we're talking Fender. 

MM Bongos have only once or maybe twice been offered in anything remotely resembling brown as limited editions - largely because their basswood bodies almost always get solid paint colours - the brighter the better!! The LE model had an alder body and was........ Honeyburst with highly figured maple neck. Looked awesome to me 👍

Edited by drTStingray

11 hours ago, durhamboy said:

Their unobtainability on my budget? 

Edited by LukeFRC
Erm seem to have cut the Alpher out unintentionally- would like but can’t afford that one too!

Unobtainable on mine too. I had a go at building my first electric guitar back in 1976, actually I built 2 at the same time, (the first bass came a bit later) because as a student I couldn't afford anything decent at the time. At least these days a couple of hundred quid, or a few hundred dollars, gets you a pretty decent instrument, back then equivalent amount of money just got you a POS in most cases. 

On 13/10/2019 at 01:22, durhamboy said:

AGC 9.jpg

They'd go invisible if left on the coffee table.

Horrible - just horrible

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

"Three froglets in blue string overcoats. How extraordinary." 🤣

I'm sure the Soup Dragon was pretty sweary!  There was definitely a 'What the Hell!" in there 🙂

The Soup Dragon had every reason to be sweary...

When the rest of the froglet race discovered string pudding they ate so much of it that Michael Bentine had to invent Potty Time otherwise the Moon would become a swamp consisting mainly of partly digested soup and stringy froglet droppings.

Without potty time for the froglets the whole Moon would be a fetching shade of brown by now.  How's that for a re-railment?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Oh there's plenty of poo, and blue-green vomit, on the moon, as my photo below proves:

Colour_Moon_30_July.thumb.jpg.1f95e4b2a517f01b89c10bd25da53079.jpg

I may reproduce that colour scheme for my next build.

(PS:  I missed the large model of the moon when it was on display at Derby cathedral recently.  Bummer.)

• Sad 1

On 13/10/2019 at 01:22, durhamboy said:

AGC 9.jpg

Now that I could actually live with, it's a stunning piece or two of timber, I love the grain on it. Two reversed P pickups is perfect for my tonal tastes. Black hardware always looks classy and understated on natural finishes too, way more so than blingy gold, IMO. The only thing I'd change if it was mine would be to have the back of the neck and headstock finished in black. 

Anyone know who made it?

15 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

Hmmm... i'm not sure that is brown you know ,maybe more ginger 

sort of ginger brown or 'Stinkfinger Ginger'....

Strangely Brown?

Edmund: Yes, and how are all the boys now?

George: Well, er, Jacko and the Badger bought it at the first Ypres front,
        unfortunately -- quite a shock, that. I remember Bumfluff's house-
        master wrote and told me that Sticky had been out for a duck, and the
        Gubber had snitched a parcel sausage-end and gone goose-over-stump
        frogside.

Edmund: Meaning...?

George: I don't know, sir, but I read in the Times that they'd both been
        killed.

Edmund: And Bumfluff himself...?

George: Copped a packet at Galipoli with the Aussies -- so had Drippy and
        Strangely Brown. I remember we heard on the first morning of the
        Somme when Titch and Mr Floppy got gassed back to Blighty.

From the web log Blackadder Scripts.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

he really shouldn't wear shorts at his age.

My man Mr Shrubshaw of Savile Row has strict instructions to tailor my shorts on the rumi side. Any tighter and a pandemic of envious resentment obtains among the male populace.

Anyway, that bass is brown. No more, no less.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Osiris said:

Now that I could actually live with, it's a stunning piece or two of timber, I love the grain on it. Two reversed P pickups is perfect for my tonal tastes. Black hardware always looks classy and understated on natural finishes too, way more so than blingy gold, IMO. The only thing I'd change if it was mine would be to have the back of the neck and headstock finished in black. 

Anyone know who made it?

Alpher instruments in Yorkshire made it.

• Thanks 1