Why become a member? ×

Help me identify the colour of this bass

Osiris

Help me identify the colour of this bass  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Can you folks help me identify the colour of this bass, please? Asking for a friend (no really, I am) who, quite rightly, hates brown basses but steadfastly refuses to accept that he owns one.

• Brown
    • Brownish
    • Light brown
    • Dark brown
    • One of those poncy names that paint manufacturers use, something like Autumnal dog egg, when they really mean brown
    • Brown
    • Any other colour that's definitely not brown

13 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Sun-dried Kak Slurry?

It looks as though it's still damp to me. 

But yeah, tortoise shell scratch plates are another abomination that should be erased from existence. They really are offensive. Paired with a turdburst bass, two wrongs don't make a right, they make wrong squared. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

this is a brown bass ... https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/music-man-basses/products/1978-music-man-stingray-walnut 

IMG_2691_-_Version_2_1024x.jpg?v=1568544 

I also have played it twice and it's one of the most amazing instruments I've ever played. Stunning. 
So much so you can forgive it it's colour

Out of the question

Unforgivable, I hope you washed thoroughly after each time you played it 

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

this is a brown bass ... https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/music-man-basses/products/1978-music-man-stingray-walnut 

IMG_2691_-_Version_2_1024x.jpg?v=1568544 

I also have played it twice and it's one of the most amazing instruments I've ever played. Stunning. 
So much so you can forgive it it's colour

Nope, I am way too shallow. I couldn't live with that.

Edited by Woodinblack

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

Is that the prototype Musicman Bongo?

Definitely not...... and you'd be banned from Talkbass if you posted that there.

Its actually a bad bass copy of a guitar Ronnie Wood played (or mimed with - apparently it didn't work) on TOTP at the beginning of the 70s.

Its also a bit of an old joke started by some people on Talkbass at the beginning of the 2000s - I've always thought that anyone who hadn't noticed that all electric guitars have this shape at the bridge end, and the only other features on an MM Bongo which differ from that are the rounded edges and  pickguard shape are either anti Musicman or have some sort of toilet fetish (there are a lot of things in life with an oval shape)!!!!

Just remember all sunburst basses and particularly those with tort pickguards are BROWN - my Mrs says so and who am I to argue 😂😁 lets hope anyone who plays one doesn't think of excreta every time they pick their bass up. 

As I said before, brown was a popular car colour in the 70s, hence Fender and Musicman doing the walnut colour in the late 70s. Don't let that put you off - as Luke said those pre EB Stingrays are great. Or do you have major problems putting brown shoes on as well 😧

Im thinking this thread had gone a little anti - Musicman - one thing their basses and particularly the Bongo don't do is sound like the sort of things which do go on in the toilet - which is something some basses do.

The word begins with F btw 😏

Edited by drTStingray

48 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Just remember all sunburst basses and particularly those with tort pickguards are BROWN - my Mrs says so and who am I to argue 😂😁 lets hope anyone who plays one doesn't think of excreta every time they pick their bass up. 

Do indeed. That is why i dislike sunburst. Actually I have a G&L which is a sunburst but that is far more orange than anything else.

As I said before, brown was a popular car colour in the 70s, hence Fender and Musicman doing the walnut colour in the late 70s. Don't let that put you off - as Luke said those pre EB Stingrays are great. Or do you have major problems putting brown shoes on as well 😧

Yep  - not a fan of brown shoes. We had a brown car in the 70s. My dad had his silver fox cortina painted stinky poo coloured with a diarrhoea orange coloured vinyl roof.

Im thinking this thread had gone a little anti - Musicman - one thing their basses and particularly the Bongo don't do is sound like the sort of things which do go on in the toilet - which is something some basses do.

I hadn't noticed that, being not that bothered about these brands, but I am guessing by the name you might be a little oversensitive to percieved criticism :)

I would love a bongo.. just not in brown!

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Its also a bit of an old joke started by some people on Talkbass at the beginning of the 2000s - I've always thought that anyone who hadn't noticed that all electric guitars have this shape at the bridge end, and the only other features on an MM Bongo which differ from that are the rounded edges and  pickguard shape are either anti Musicman or have some sort of toilet fetish (there are a lot of things in life with an oval shape)!!!!

You're absolutely 100% right.

The Musicman Bongo bears absolutely NO resemblance to a toilet seat whatsoever. I can't see anything remotely loo-seat-like about it:

John_Myung3_(H.I.).jpg

EDIT: Sorry, it appears I'm wrong, the Music Man actually concede this on their own website:

The Bongo

In the beginning the Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo Bass came out to the consternation of many. The industry and press asked, “What is this strange toilet-seat-looking UFO bass? Is this some kind of lost Alembic design?” yet despite its quirks the Bongo has always been a tonal monster and extremely versatile expression tool.

http://blog.music-man.com/artists/the-bongo-bass-buyers-guide/

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Haha 2

@drTStingray There's no anti Musicman agenda, we're just having a bit of fun. Puerile perhaps but nothing malicious 😀

But for the record, I personally don't like brown basses. That includes sunburst. I don't like brown shoes either, brown brogues in particular are awful. They look like Crocs. But not everything brown upsets me, I regularly eat my own substantial weight in Dairy milk and gravy is the food of the gods. Oh, and Newcastle brown ale.  But toilet humour I can do. But that's just me and my misguided opinions!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Fixed.

I'm forever in your debt. Thank you my good man.

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

😮

You are one sick little puppy!!

😂

Chuck in a couple of fish fingers and it gets even better 😀

• Haha 2