Al Krow

Does your band use a sub-woofer as part of your PA?

Does your band use a sub-woofer as part of your PA?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Does your band use a sub-woofer as part of your PA?

• Yes, definitely adds to our sound
    • No, don't see any need
    • Not currently - but we're considering getting one

@Gottastopbuyinggear - I thought @Tubster had answered my question in his previous post, but maybe you're looking for him to expand on what he meant by 'sonic authority' further?

One major request from me - can we abbreviate your avatar name to GSBG please? It's almost as much as of a mouthful (but nothing really quite is) as @Quatschmacher which has been unceremoniously cut down to Q (by me anyway) - which actually is quite appropriate given his abilities to coax a silk purse out of a sow's ear FI pedal. But perhaps more importantly yours is as close to a heretical avatar name as it's possible to have without being banned from the forum 😁

@Gottastopbuyinggearin relation to you questioning whether a sub would be enough for your bass... well, yeah - I think I've mentioned before, the most important frequencies for your bass lie in the 1st harmonic... so 82Hz for a bottom E or 62Hz if you are running with a B string. Both of those frequencies should easily be able to be covered by tops. If you put too much of the fundamental through the sub, it will all come out as mud anyway. The main advantage of the sub is taking the energy sapping kick (circa 50-60Hz) out of your tops power amps.

• Like 1

I have to use my subs. The power amps are built into them. However, I practically always roll off the bass - sometimes markedly so - depending on the venue acoustics. A little goes a long way and too much can easily turn everything into a mudfest. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@Gottastopbuyinggear - I thought @Tubster had answered my question in his previous post, but maybe you're looking for him to expand on what he meant by 'sonic authority' further?

One major request from me - can we abbreviate your avatar name to GSBG please? It's almost as much as of a mouthful (but nothing really quite is) as @Quatschmacher which has been unceremoniously cut down to Q (by me anyway) - which actually is quite appropriate given his abilities to coax a silk purse out of a sow's ear FI pedal. But perhaps more importantly yours is as close to a heretical avatar name as it's possible to have without being banned from the forum 😁

Sorry, I wasn’t being very clear - it was paul_c2’s question to Tubster about venue size and genre of music, which would be a useful reference point.

Regarding the username, I’m afraid I have pretty much managed to stop - I hang my head in shame!