Why become a member? ×

Black fingertips

BrunoBass

I’ve used Ernie Ball Slinky’s for many years and am perfectly happy with them. A couple of weeks ago I put a new set on to one of my basses, and noticed that after playing my fingertips were covered in a black residue. It washed off easily and I thought nothing more of if. I’d never seen this before. Then I put a new set of Slinky’s on another bass today, and the same residue occurred. 
It’s no problem for me, especially as it seems to disappear as the strings are played in, I just wondered if anyone has had this? I assume it’s just a residue left over from manufacturing, although a chemistry student friend suggested it could be a reaction between the nickel and my skin. I’m unconvinced. 

I have always cleaned new string before fitting, a cotton pad with surgical spirits gets all the crap off and leaves you with lovely clean shiny new strings 😊

Edited by KiOgon
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It could be just the residue left from the manufacture, I had this once with a set of fender flats , I cleaned them with the little alcohol wipes which evaporate , and they were fine 🙂

^^^ This

smiley

• Like 1

I was discussing this with the luthier who had a customer with the same problem as you and in his case the strings were fakes, not only that but the substance coming off the strings was toxic. Not that I’m saying yours is but it is something to watch out for. The amount of fake strings being produced in China is far greater than most people imagine. If you’ve been using a brand for a while and suddenly they are producing this blackening I’d certainly consider fakes as a possibility.

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I was discussing this with the luthier who had a customer with the same problem as you and in his case the strings were fakes, not only that but the substance coming off the strings was toxic. Not that I’m saying yours is but it is something to watch out for. The amount of fake strings being produced in China is far greater than most people imagine. If you’ve been using a brand for a while and suddenly they are producing this blackening I’d certainly consider fakes as a possibility.

Possibly, if I was getting them on eBay or such like, but as I said I bought these and the previous set in store - I very much doubt PMT or GuitarGuitar sell fake stuff.