Why become a member? ×

5 String PJ basses for a reasonable price?

TRBboy

On 11/10/2019 at 11:15, HazBeen said:

I have to disagree with you. Lull, Yamaha all use normal P pickups in their PJ 5s and my Lull PJ5 had one of the best B's I ever owned. It is as much about the construction of the bass as it is about the pickup.

I've had 2 BBs (425X and 615) and you're right, it wasn't as noticeable as on a Fender P or some other "clonic" stuff, but the low B of them was not the greatest all in all (much less soloing the P pickup). I've got a highly modded P kit build that really benefitted from the reverse P move.

Edited by andruca

On 12/10/2019 at 20:49, gillento said:

Not true with all the Nordstrands, Lakland Skylines and Sadowskys I played

I could not solo the P pickup on any Lakland 5er I've tried with decent results. Might be different on the USA models, all I've tried is Skylines. Not that reversing would make a world of difference, of course. I've done it on a (cheap) bass and the before/after was really noticeable.

Edited by andruca

23 minutes ago, andruca said:

I've had 2 BBs (425X and 615) and you're right, it wasn't as noticeable as on a Fender P or some other "clonic" stuff, but the low B of them was not the greatest all in all (much less soloing the P pickup). I've got a highly modded P kit build that really benefitted from the reverse P move.

I've found with my BB that rolling the bridge pickup off a little gives you predominantly 'that' P bass sound, but you still get just enough bite from the bridge pickup to add definition to the B string. 

1 hour ago, andruca said:

I could not solo the P pickup on any Lakland 5er I've tried with decent results. Might be different on the USA models, all I've tried is Skylines. Not that reversing would make a world of difference, of course. I've done it on a (cheap) bass and the before/after was really noticeable.

I had a Skyline DJ5 that i got modded in to a PJ. I put in a set of Nordstrand pups (reverse P). Never really liked it before or after the mod but that was just a personal taste.

19 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I had a Skyline DJ5 that i got modded in to a PJ. I put in a set of Nordstrand pups (reverse P). Never really liked it before or after the mod but that was just a personal taste.

I got that bass from you and I really liked it. When I got it, it had the regular P position. 

It being passive made me sell all my active basses (mainly Sadowskys) as I just preferred the passive sound.

Since that I've been playing passive Nordstrand P,  PJ and JJ basses.

I have never been back to active basses.

IMG_0416.jpeg

59 minutes ago, gillento said:

I got that bass from you and I really liked it. When I got it, it had the regular P position. 

It being passive made me sell all my active basses (mainly Sadowskys) as I just preferred the passive sound.

Since that I've been playing passive Nordstrand P,  PJ and JJ basses.

I have never been back to active basses.

IMG_0416.jpeg

Wow, your'e right, it wasn't reversed. Wonder why I thought that. Glad to see it had some use. 

58 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Wow, your'e right, it wasn't reversed. Wonder why I thought that. Glad to see it had some use. 

In fact it had more punch than my horrendously expensive Sadowsky NYC PJ.

It re-opened my eyes to the dynamics of passive basses. Thanks for that :)

Edited by gillento

On 08/10/2019 at 23:15, TRBboy said:

Hi folks! 

Been looking recently for a 5 string PJ without paying to much (say under £1k), and aside from Yammy BB's (which I already have) there doesn't seem to be much on the market.... Just wondered if I've missed anything, any suggestions? 

Thanks! 😊👍

This Schecter would be in my list (I have the 4 string version)

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/schecter-model-t-session-5/

pfbr1vgrcflfmkihwp9i.jpg

• Like 1