Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton On Jeremy Vine!

spongebob

Start of my week off yesterday, I decided to have a late breakfast and immerse myself in the latest mind-numbing debate, and tune into Jeremy Vine on Channel Five.

Usual array of columnists and Z-listers, alongside Bruce Foxton and the singer out of 'From The Jam'! They performed a slightly strained (IMHO) version of 'Smithers-Jones' at the end alongside a Keyboard player.....

It's available on the C5 catch-up if anyone wants to watch. TBH, they BF didn't have a lot to say, the other chap a bit more, although I was not in agreement with any of it! 😆

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spongebob said:

Start of my week off yesterday, I decided to have a late breakfast and immerse myself in the latest mind-numbing debate, and tune into Jeremy Vine on Channel Five.

Usual array of columnists and Z-listers, alongside Bruce Foxton and the singer out of 'From The Jam'! They performed a slightly strained (IMHO) version of 'Smithers-Jones' at the end alongside a Keyboard player.....

It's available on the C5 catch-up if anyone wants to watch. TBH, they BF didn't have a lot to say, the other chap a bit more, although I was not in agreement with any of it! 😆

I love From the Jam. Good to see they are still flying the flag, while Weller gets more and more boring and MOR.

True Dave.  Weller and Foxton/Bucklers' exceptional work was with the Jam when they were young.  At some point in your life I guess you have to accept that and embrace it.  

I have similarly realised that my career is in decline.  I'm enjoying more space for my projects and other activities, whilst holding on to my job for dear life ...

Peace

Davo

• Like 1

I think Bruce’s work with SLF was good, and he was also their bassist for longer than he was in The Jam, but it will be his work in The Jam that he’ll be defined by imo. And why not, amazing creative melodic bass lines that in many cases were the main melodies of the songs. Ask many people to hum songs from The Jam and it would be the bass line they would hum I’d bet.

• Like 2

One time I was invited to audition for a Jam trib outfit; the audition never happened because I discovered early on that the frontman was a narcissistic, incompetent fantasist but that's another story.

Anyhow, before I realised this was going nowhere I lashed out on a couple of Jam live albums and gave them some serious and prolonged ear-hole. Before I even got around to working out Foxton's parts I realised was how much he was the epicentre of the band in a live context. Weller's guitar (live) was a clangy mush of percussive power chords whereas Foxton's bass provided the melodic foundation for the songs. Weller's voice was a sort of mooing grunt whereas Foxton hit the notes, did some lovely harmonies and seemed to be doubling the lead vocal a lot of the time.

OK, Weller wrote the songs, was the visual focus and - in the studio - laid down some really good stuff. In a live situation Foxton held up the lead vocal, provided the choon that went underneath it and basically held the whole thing together. Interesting.

Unfashionable opinion: live, Weller could barely hack it and Foxton propped him up. Funnily enough, that was exactly the situation with the trib outfit when I unobtrusively slid in to check them out one night.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

Without quoting @skankdelvars whole Post, I pretty much agree 100%. Whilst there’s no doubting Wellers songwriting abilities Bruce Foxton is very under-rated in his contribution to The Jam. Plus he’s a nice guy too, was fortunate enough to meet him when we were both on the same TV show - a real we’re not worthy moment for me.

• Like 1