Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Steve Harris sig pedal

fretmeister

I think i can justify buying this if it replaces my Vintage Microtubes Deluxe.  I'm pretty sure it will cover the same territory and then some, but unsure how it will sound gain stacked with the B7K.  Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Plus I need another tuner as mine is currently shared between bass and guitar pedal boards...

4 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Cost me about £237 all in. Direct currency conversion was £227, but PayPal don't offer great conversion rates. Next time I'll shop around for alternative credit card options with better rates!

Is that with the duty and VAT added?  With the discount they offered I worked out it would be 279 with the VAT, don't know if duty applies.

11 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Is that with the duty and VAT added?  With the discount they offered I worked out it would be 279 with the VAT, don't know if duty applies.

Yeah if you're paying VAT and Customs on top plus £12 handling charge, you're back up to £299 or thereabouts! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@dave_bass5true. But, if it's faulty you're covered on PayPal and if it's not you can get most of your costs back by selling it on used for 75% of UK list prices ie £225.

True, but if i don't like it i can get 100% back if brought over here. Ive never had faulty equipment from abroad, other than Thomann's, but i can imagine  its not a 5 day fix if you have to go through PP etc. 

On 31/10/2019 at 18:27, dannybuoy said:

Let's just say I'll be very surprised if there's any taxes to pay!

Let's just say I am very surprised! I had to pay a bill after all, so didn't work out much cheaper than buying over here. I've ordered many pedals from them in the past and got away with it! Should be arriving today.

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Let's just say I am very surprised! I had to pay a bill after all, so didn't work out much cheaper than buying over here. I've ordered many pedals from them in the past and got away with it! Should be arriving today.

Thats a bugger, and quite a long delivery time as well. I dont think ill be using them.

GAK are now showing in stock on their main website, but £399. Im sure someone will buy them at that price.

Edited by dave_bass5

Still showing as £299 pre-ordered from Guitar Guitar, I think most would like to save £100 and wait!

Had a brief play, sounds good - only subtle differences to the VTDI and YYZ though, lots of crossover and similar tones to be gotten from all 3 units. Will delve into it more over the coming days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

Still showing as £299 pre-ordered from Guitar Guitar, I think most would like to save £100 and wait!

Had a brief play, sounds good - only subtle differences to the VTDI and YYZ though, lots of crossover and similar tones to be gotten from all 3 units. Will delve into it more over the coming days.

What i like about the SH1 is it seem more like an amp. I loved my VTBass DI, but never quite found it could replace the front end of my amp. It looks like the SH-1 might.

Hard to make that kind of call based on the demos we've had, where they're all in the mix rather than isolated. I bet Tim Starace could've nailed most of those same sounds with the VTDI!

I'll give it a go direct to headphones later to see how it fares.

10 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Be very interested to hear from you on the pro/cons of this vs the YYZ when you've had a chance to put it through its paces, and also whether either is doing something that you can't get to on a Helix.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Hard to make that kind of call based on the demos we've had, where they're all in the mix rather than isolated. I bet Tim Starace could've nailed most of those same sounds with the VTDI!

I'll give it a go direct to headphones later to see how it fares.

Yeah, they did all sound quite 'samey' to me, but in a good way. Less Ampeg backed in tone, but still fat and clear and i would say definitely still Tech 21.

Of course we all know tone is in the fingers (or pick in my case), and we all have different fingers 🙂

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Had a brief play, sounds good - only subtle differences to the VTDI and YYZ though, lots of crossover and similar tones to be gotten from all 3 units

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

and also whether either is doing something that you can't get to on a Helix.

Interesting you guys should say this.  The Hiwatt DR 201 model in the old bass pod XT was one of my favourite sounds, it just seemed to die in a mix though (at least in the amateur way I was using it!).  What I really want is the Hiwatt DR201 version of the VTDI - I'm hoping this is it.  Frustrating that there aren't more demos and samples of this pedal yet.

15 minutes ago, krispn said:

The helix will do pretty much what you want it to do. It just putting the time into it to make it do your bidding. 

Nah, disagree, it has it's limitations. Try getting it do any of the 99 new sounds on the Future Impact v3, or doing an Arpeggiator in the way a Boss SY-1 does. It won't even quite match my Digitech Mosaic for 'authenticity' on octave up. 

And it's not fair to assume it can, as a £400 stand alone pedal, do everything dedicated pedals can do. But it can get pretty close on some stuff and Tech 21 emulations may be one of them. I'll be interested to get dBs thoughts on the subject. 

• Like 1