Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Steve Harris sig pedal

fretmeister

35 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Very short review:

It's very good. Closest to the VTDI from the existing lineup, but with a darker speaker sim, tighter lows, more low mids, and a lower frequency on the treble EQ. Very flexible control of the mids and very punchy. Sounds more like a real amp than the other pedals.

Yes, but does it sound like 'arry?

Must be true then! 😁

The most important aspect is obviously the WHU FC colours. 

@krispnthanks for your detailed clarification on the Stomp btw buddy. Makes more sense now: I, for one, did take at face value your statement that the Stomp can do "anything", rather than what you intended to say which is that it can do "anything Tech 21 of a drive or SH1 nature". My bad... Anyway enough thread derailment! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 08/11/2019 at 11:03, No. 8 Wire said:

I give up!

I'll just have to order it and if it doesn't sound like a Hiwatt DR201 and come with a wrist band, spandex trousers and  free wedge monitor purely for use as a foot rest... I'm sending it back!

It does not, I sent mine back with a strongly recorded bass line of complaint.

Edited by Rollin Thunder
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@No. 8 Wire - that's actually a really useful review of the pedal, thanks very much for posting that.

Yep, It's a good one - I like the lack of flashyness in it, it's probably closer to the sounds I'll get out of it.

I've been experimenting this morning with existing pedals to see if I can get close to it. Using a Qstrip set to the same mid freqs as the SH1 and approximating the treble and bass - I get very close to the same SH tone but clean.  Used a B3K after the Q strip in 'thin' mode with low drive and about 1/3 blend and it sounds pretty close.  Actually some of the other drive tones seem harder to get, I guess that's down to the amp character built into the SH1.

Ultimately I'm going to have to get it and try it out.  Only hesitation is it's a lot of money for pedal so I'm going to have to decide what goes to make room for it...

On 08/11/2019 at 13:28, Al Krow said:

Must be true then! 😁

The most important aspect is obviously the WHU FC colours. 

@krispnthanks for your detailed clarification on the Stomp btw buddy. Makes more sense now: I, for one, did take at face value your statement that the Stomp can do "anything", rather than what you intended to say which is that it can do "anything Tech 21 of a drive or SH1 nature". My bad... Anyway enough thread derailment! 

Most tech 21 bass stuff is modelled/designed on Fender Bassman or Ampeg style amp circuits of which the stomp has many plus the BDDI, drives, etc.

The cab choice/mic choice I found was a really good way to do a global 'eq' type thing too - some sounding quite deep and others more mid bumped. Often that was enough to define the sound with eq used to make small adjustments. Lot's of options to experiment with just takes patience and time!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, krispn said:

The cab choice/mic choice I found was a really good way to do a global 'eq' type thing too - some sounding quite deep and others more mid bumped. Often that was enough to define the sound with eq used to make small adjustments. Lot's of options to experiment with just takes patience and time!

Patience and time are things i dont comprehend (see my post about getting the F112 :-). All good fun messing about with things though, and with the FX you can do all the tweaking using your foot, so in real time while playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Guitar Guitar have this for £299 at the moment as a pre-order. Everyone else seems to have it at £399. Either it’s a mistake and will be rectified soon or they got a deal. Just shows you how much mark-up gets put on stuff, if GG can afford to make a hefty profit at £299 and others are selling at £399  

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/191015349744008--tech-21-steve-harris-sh1-signature-sansamp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5YqOocWX5gIViZntCh115AEXEAUYAiABEgIlffD_BwE

I'm not sure if it's a mistake, or just some shops taking advantage of supply and demand. If they only managed to get a handful of units, it's likely there are enough Steve Harris fans out there to buy them at £399!

£299 sound like the right price, it's about what it costs from the US if you add on shipping and customs, plus the dUg pedal is around £249 and there's nothing there to justify the massive hike over that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...