Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Steve Harris sig pedal

fretmeister

30 minutes ago, krispn said:

The helix will do pretty much what you want it to do. It just putting the time into it to make it do your bidding. 

Im starting to think the Helix stuff can, at least as far as OD's/Preamp stuff  goes.

Edited by dave_bass5

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And it's not fair to assume it can, as a £400 stand alone pedal, do everything dedicated pedals can do. But it can get pretty close on some stuff and Tech 21 emulations may be one of them. I'll be interested to get dBs thoughts on the subject. 

On the flip side, because of its versatility in the routing  and extra foot switches it can take a lot of pedals and add a lot more versatility to them.

34 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Im starting to think the Helix stuff can, at least as far as OD's/Preamp stuff  goes.

The helix doesn't have a hiwatt bass model though.  I know it's got the Hiwatt 100 guitar model, but in my experience of the older models this is quite different to the Harrisesque DR201 sound.  If prefer to get the stomp if it had a convincing model of this amp.

2 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

The helix doesn't have a hiwatt bass model though.  I know it's got the Hiwatt 100 guitar model, but in my experience of the older models this is quite different to the Harrisesque DR201 sound.  If prefer to get the stomp if it had a convincing model of this amp.

That HiWatt model sounds great on bass though!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Cant it be modified with other blocks to make it sound closer? There is a lot of EQ options in the Stomp, as well as IRs and preamp's. Wouldn't the cab used also make a difference?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Nah, disagree, it has it's limitations. Try getting it do any of the 99 new sounds on the Future Impact v3, or doing an Arpeggiator in the way a Boss SY-1 does. It won't even quite match my Digitech Mosaic for 'authenticity' on octave up. 

And it's not fair to assume it can, as a £400 stand alone pedal, do everything dedicated pedals can do. But it can get pretty close on some stuff and Tech 21 emulations may be one of them. I'll be interested to get dBs thoughts on the subject. 

Let's flip that on its head, shall we; Can the Future Impact v3 or the Boss SY-1 do the myriad of utilitarian and more exotic bass and guitar sounds? Studio grade amp simulations? A wide palate of studio grade effects? Can you even tune up using either one? Or can they just do an array of amusing - but ultimately of little real world use - bleeps, squeaks and farts? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cant it be modified with other blocks to make it sound closer? There is a lot of EQ options in the Stomp, as well as IRs and preamp's. Wouldn't the cab used also make a difference?

I haven't tried the helix, so I'm basing my experience on the older models.  I don't know if all those settings can get you there but I haven't heard a convincing take on the Harris Hiwatt sound on YouTube etc from the Helix.  I'm not great at sitting down to work these things out myself, so I'd really want to know if I pressed x, y and z I'd get a dead on Harris sound.

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

Let's flip that on its head, shall we; Can the Future Impact v3 or the Boss SY-1 do the myriad of utilitarian and more exotic bass and guitar sounds? Studio grade amp simulations? A wide palate of studio grade effects? Can you even tune up using either one? Or can they just do an array of amusing - but ultimately of little real world use - bleeps, squeaks and farts? 

I appreciate you're not a bass synth lover, however, plenty of us are. No one is or was suggesting that the FI or SY-1 are general multifx, so I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is?

The Stomp is good, even great, for a lot of things, but it simply doesn't have the capability to do everything as well as or better than every pedal. So if anyone suggests that by investing enough time with the Stomp you can get there on all pedal fx, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nah, disagree, it has it's limitations. Try getting it do any of the 99 new sounds on the Future Impact v3, or doing an Arpeggiator in the way a Boss SY-1 does. It won't even quite match my Digitech Mosaic for 'authenticity' on octave up. 

It’s fair to assume I was talking about drive sounds on the helix considering the thread title. Recreating the SH1 and it’s 7 or 8 controls with the HX stomp should be pretty straightforward what with the assignable eq, global eq, parallel signal paths, hpf, array of amp and cab sims (including the Hiwatt) and drive pedal options. 

It’s being a tad obtuse to imply I was saying the stomp can recreate ‘any sound’ with enough time spent programming and imagine you were well aware of that you cheeky imp! 

Anyway following your recent pedalboard thread update I’ll let you get back to programming your Stomp looks like you’ve still a bit of work to do...

2C633C2D-90CA-4EDC-A0B3-69553E5FA198.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, krispn said:

... Recreating the SH1 and it’s 7 or 8 controls with the HX stomp should be pretty straightforward what with the assignable eq, global eq, parallel signal paths, hpf, array of amp and cab sims (including the Hiwatt) and drive pedal options. 

If that is indeed the case then those of us who are Helix owners can save ourselves a bunch of cash on all Tech 21's latest offerings ranging from the dUg, YYZ, to the newly released SH!

But having seen how the Stomp has not quite matched up on something as simple as octave up and down compared to dedicated pedals, my personal view is the jury is still out. Hence my earlier question to dB.

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If that is indeed the case then those of us who are Helix owners can save ourselves a bunch of cash on all Tech 21's latest offerings ranging from the dUg, YYZ, to the newly released SH!

I really dont  think anyone is going to buy the SH1 because they have to have that tone and cant already get it.  No, they (even I) will buy it because its the next new thing and sounds like a solution to a non existing problem, or just inquisitive. 

The Stomp is way ahead of what the SH1 can do. The SH-1 is a one trick pony compared  to the Stomp. The attraction for me is the simplicity, and size of the SH1. I dont  kid myself i cant already get the tones that thing can produce. The Stomp (and other Helix boxes) just need a bit of time and understanding to get the best out of them, and this is something not all of us have.

Synths and Octave stuff though, i completely agree with you about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

But having seen how the Stomp has not quite matched up on something as simple as octave up and down compared to dedicated pedals, my personal view is the jury is still out. Hence my earlier question to dB.

Here's the thing, how many people get a Helix for octave up and down functions?! Really?!! That's absurd. Anyone with serious use of that stuff will have dedicated pedals as you say. As I've moved away from synth type playing I don't really need it, but I'd that's what you've bought a helix for.... Well, unlucky.

• Like 2

I spent a day or two messing with Helix Native but couldn't conjure up anything remotely close to my Tonehammer or VTDI. Hence why I never bought one!

I could however get pretty close to the DP-3X by combining a crossover, compressor and the newly added BDDI sim!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I appreciate you're not a bass synth lover, however, plenty of us are. No one is or was suggesting that the FI or SY-1 are general multifx, so I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is?

Likewise, I was baffled why you were comparing the Stomp to a couple of synth pedals on a thread about the Steve Harris signature pedal, it's not like he's known for using synths himself (other than a brief flirtation on Somewhere in time, but that's a 30+ years old chip set).

@krispn and @Wolverinebass have already covered anything more I'd have to say in regards to the Stomp. 

Just now, Osiris said:

it's not like he's known for using synths himself (other than a brief flirtation on Somewhere in time, but that's a 30+ years old chip set).

And Seventh Son, and writing the keyboard parts for someone else to play on a few albums, then playing keyboards on the last 6 Iron Maiden albums ;)

But you are correct, he is better know for bass playing (no sarcasm intended here)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

And Seventh Son, and writing the keyboard parts for someone else to play on a few albums, then playing keyboards on the last 6 Iron Maiden albums ;)

But you are correct, he is better know for bass playing (no sarcasm intended here)

That's cool, I never really kept up with the band after Powerslave, although I've always had a soft spot for Steve's playing and tone.

• Like 1

There's was only a couple of properly good studio albums after that. Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son. Fear of the Dark is where me and Iron Maiden headed our own ways, after nearly 20 years of them being one of the most important bands to me. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Here's the thing, how many people get a Helix for octave up and down functions?! Really?!! That's absurd. Anyone with serious use of that stuff will have dedicated pedals as you say. As I've moved away from synth type playing I don't really need it, but I'd that's what you've bought a helix for.... Well, unlucky.

Why absurd to get a very capable multi fx and expect that it will be able to handle octave up and down functions? Folk surely get a multi fx 'cos it can do a bunch of things, octave down and up included.

My point is a simple one: the Stomp doesn't do everything well and I was giving a couple of real life examples of it coming up short to illustrate.

My only question on this thread is do fellow BC'ers who have both the SH1 (or dUg or YYZ) pedal and a Helix think the Helix can it do the Tech 21 pedal stuff well? dB has now kindly answered that for me. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Actually all this Stomp talk has made me realise i have no need for the SH1. I think ive talked myself out off it now. 

As for getting a Stomp for the Octave and Syth stuff. I never dreamt  I'd be using Octave down, but having it in the Stomp has allowed me to see if it works for me. I'm not giving to get a standalone box, The Stomp is good enough, but its given me yet one more effect I wouldn't have brought. It  the box that just keeps on giving lol. 

I know a lot of users have had great success using pitch down for half step and whole step detuning on gigs which not the same as ‘simple octave up or down’ it’s certainly proved to be practical and usable on the gig and ultimately a more useful implementation of pitch manipulation although maybe not something everyone will find useful. My guitarist uses it all the time as a virtual Capo with great success and it seems to be the views of many other uses real world experiences especially on this site. 

15 hours ago,  krispn said: 

The helix will do pretty much what you want it to do. It just putting the time into it to make it do your bidding. 

I should really qualify this quote as it was pounced upon and interpreted in a way which suggested I think the stomp can do ‘any sound’ 🙄

People buy the stomp for many reasons and with different expectations. The stomp is unlikely to nail ‘every’ sound one might need but what it can do is offer a massive palette of tones, colours and I/O options for the gigging player and home studio. It also allows those interested in doing so to recreate many different and varied tones be that classic sounds or new takes on classic sound. It also allows for the wider community to share settings so those with zero interest or desire can maximise the pedals benefits with minimal time spent with their nose in a manual. 

While there are some limitations it’s generally accepted that it’s a good option for many looking for multi fx to be their only unit or to compliment an existing set up. With some time invested and having an understanding of what one wants it does offer lots from a myriad of routing options to conventional and unconventional tones. In terms of what it offers for the price/features/ease of use it’s a great option. I have owned a stomp but ultimately I’m quite content with my humble pedal board for my gigging needs but certainly enjoyed playing and using it, discovering how to maximise its potential within my recording and gigging set up. I briefly owned a second stomp but that was super cheap and only really bought to flip for a profit. In saying that the amp and bass I bought with that cash are giving me much joy!

Some folks just enjoy buying kit because it looks nice, fills a space on their pedal board, to simply say they have one or it covers ‘price of admission’ to specific groups/clubs etc and that's grand as we’re ‘experts’ on what we like...not necessarily experts on the gear we like.

My last point is I was implying that if one wanted to recreate the SH1 preamp/drive pedal, a relatively simple  eq/and drive with 4 or 5 basic controls and a brite setting the stomp could likely recreate it or pretty much close enough that it would be worth trying or that the audience would care. If I wade into a synth thread saying you guys don’t know how to program a Hx stomp cause it can do anything I’m happy to be corrected but in the context of this thread and knowing the capabilities of the stomp I’d expect (an)other stomp owner(s) to have a touch of savvy and make the connection. If one wishes to compare a dedicated synth pedal's capabilities to the stomp be my guest but not every thread on bc needs to have mention of the Future Impact, the boss synth or whatever the current flavour of the month is. 

Edited by krispn
spelling and the like!
  • Like 4

Very short review:

It's very good. Closest to the VTDI from the existing lineup, but with a darker speaker sim, tighter lows, more low mids, and a lower frequency on the treble EQ. Very flexible control of the mids and very punchy. Sounds more like a real amp than the other pedals.

• Like 4