Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Steve Harris sig pedal

fretmeister

13 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

This is getting silly now. I'm not a SH fan but I think I need this pedal.

The Tech21 ‘Signature’ pedals are basically a box to achieve that person’s sound, but each of them do so much more.

Incredibly well made, flexible and great sounding machines

• Like 2

It does sound good, doesn't it?!! Tech21 have now hit their formula. Flyrigs. Or smaller pedals in cut down chassis. They are going to crank the handle for some time on this. Might be a great thing, might not. Depends if the quality of products keep up. These models are certainly addressing the need for portability and ludicrous tones. In many ways, they're inspired. I just wished they'd put the tone controls left to right rather than right to left.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

It does sound good, doesn't it?!! Tech21 have now hit their formula. Flyrigs. Or smaller pedals in cut down chassis. They are going to crank the handle for some time on this. Might be a great thing, might not. Depends if the quality of products keep up. These models are certainly addressing the need for portability and ludicrous tones. In many ways, they're inspired. I just wished they'd put the tone controls left to right rather than right to left.

If only they did a maxi fly rig with Geddy, dUg and SH1 all in the same box, maybe throw the Ripper in there for fun

• Like 1

For me they’d be the ultimate fly-rigs if they had the option to run on batteries. Having to take a power supply and a converter plug (and then hope there’s a power socket you can see that’s near enough) makes these not as convenient as they could be for actual flying gigs to other countries.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

For me they’d be the ultimate fly-rigs if they had the option to run on batteries. Having to take a power supply and a converter plug (and then hope there’s a power socket you can see that’s near enough) makes these not as convenient as they could be for actual flying gigs to other countries.

Totally agree with this. Not a deal breaker but i love how portable the BDDI/VTBass/PD are. 

1 hour ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Are these not phantom-powerable like a lot of other Tech21 pedals? (I mean the other fly-rigs like the Dug and the Bass Fly-Rig)

Probably not, the DP-3X isn't.

They couldn't use phantom power for the Bass Fly Rig because it had digital effects that drew too much power. But it would've been nice if the all analog ones had it, unless the tuner takes up a lot of mA? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

They come with a multi function plug with different country adapters, so you can slide the ones on and off you need - that’s pretty good and universal.

As for a power socket near where you play - they can’t quite think of everything 

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I ran my dUg from a 5000mAh battery pack designed for iphone recharging with a cable that did the conversion from 5V to 9V.

I now use 2 of the power packs to power my small pedal board. 

The packs are small and only £7.99. Cables about £5. Then run a daisy chain to the pedals.

Job done.

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Not being very good with techie stuff @fretmeister, if I understand correctly does this mean you aren’t connecting the pedal to mains, just via a small battery set-up with a converter and lead? If so that’s the workaround I’m sure many of us are after.

@Lozz196

Correct!

There are some dedicated guitar pedal versions of battery packs but they tend to be very expensive for very similar specs.

So I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MWU1GGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with 

https://myvolts.co.uk/Ripcord

Just make sure you pick the 9V centre negative version!

I've also got one of these in my pack as a spare.

https://myvolts.co.uk/product/44871/myVolts_5000mAh_2.4A_Power_Bank_-_Red

Dead easy to use - charge up the pack and then use the 5V to 9V cable converter and run a daisy chain from the converter to your pedals. If you have low current draw pedals then you'll only need 1. If you have some hungry digital pedals like delays and synths then you might want to give that it's own battery pack. Personally I'd always take 2 anyway. At £7.99 they are dirt cheap and it's good to have a spare if you are gigging.

Also has the benefit of being able to charge your phone for the journey home too! Some of the dedicated guitar versions are only 9V output so they can't be used for other USB purposes and they can cost over £100.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Not being very good with techie stuff @fretmeister, if I understand correctly does this mean you aren’t connecting the pedal to mains, just via a small battery set-up with a converter and lead? If so that’s the workaround I’m sure many of us are after.

I can see that working for some, but then you the extra worry of having the batteries charged and extra leads to use them. One cable in to the wall seems more manageable. The PSU that comes with the Stomp is quite short so i just got a long extension for it.

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Now that sounds superb!

Now I'm interested.

Even if his broken string solution is making my teeth itch!

I'm more sceptical. The Fender P he's using should be capable of delivering a pretty classic Motown sound straight out the box. No need to fork out an extra £299 or is it £399(?) just to avoid having to dial your treble knob down a touch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I can see that working for some, but then you the extra worry of having the batteries charged and extra leads to use them. One cable in to the wall seems more manageable. The PSU that comes with the Stomp is quite short so i just got a long extension for it.

You can still have one cable to the wall - just a standard USB charger. If you add a battery to your pedalboard, you can treat it like a laptop, i.e. leave it plugged in most of the time so you don't have to worry about the battery, but unplug whenever you need to be mobile!

However, if you're looking to power a HX Stomp from a battery, you'd have to invest in a rather large one!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

You can still have one cable to the wall - just a standard USB charger. If you add a battery to your pedalboard, you can treat it like a laptop, i.e. leave it plugged in most of the time so you don't have to worry about the battery, but unplug whenever you need to be mobile!

However, if you're looking to power a HX Stomp from a battery, you'd have to invest in a rather large one!

Slight caveat - not every battery pack allows charging while in use.

The Rockboard LT XL does, but I don't know about any others.

18 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I think thats completely missing the point of me going battery powered. I get what you are saying, but if i wanted to use a cable to the wall then surely the unit's PSU would be used?

Its all getting very complicated when all i wanted it do was use a battery powered FX so i dont have to worry about PSU's/cables.