Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Steve Harris sig pedal

fretmeister

I would think the £399 is a typo. I think when the 400 quid mark is breached by a distortion pedal then either the pound will be worth less than the Zimbabwean dollar or we'll be getting price gouged severely. 

I've never spent more than 400 on a single issue pedal. I never will as that's insane. Darkglass have come close, but I don't think even their marketing will stand up to that level of scrutiny. Even the Strymon Timeline isn't 400 and that's arguably the best delay on the market with almost every function you can think of. Not just a pedal which does distortion and has no recallable presets.

Personally, I think the Dug pedal is a keen price for what it is and I've just recorded one of my band's albums with it. It's just brilliant.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I couldn't tell you what Steve Harris actually sounds like to be honest.  Geddy, yes.  dUg, yes.  Sheehan, Burnel, Karn, Claypool, Lemmy, all yes.  But Harris?  No.  Even with a gun to my head, I could probably only blurt out two or three Iron Maiden songs.

Message ends.

Have a listen to the few clips of Father Christmas playing through the pedal scattered through this thread. Steve Harris sounds like none of those.  

Hope this helps. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They probably received the same typo as posted earlier in this thread. Guitar Guitar have opened pre-orders at £299 - let's hope it's not them who made a mistake, cos they won't sell many of these at £399 when you can import from overseas at $299.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I couldn't tell you what Steve Harris actually sounds like to be honest.  Geddy, yes.  dUg, yes.  Sheehan, Burnel, Karn, Claypool, Lemmy, all yes.  But Harris?  No.  Even with a gun to my head, I could probably only blurt out two or three Iron Maiden songs.

Message ends.

This should do the trick. 

2 hours ago, razor5cl said:

This should do the trick. 

Nah, I'm good...I lasted maybe 20 seconds.  I just suppose that when Killers came out (1980/81?), I was probably spending more time listening to Japan and a clutch of more American orientated rock (Van Halen, Joe Perry Project/earlier Aerosmith, Journey, Styx).

Mr Harris seems a nice enough bloke, I have no issue with him whatsoever, but I never connected with Iron Maiden at all.  He's not someone who I would have put high on the list of having his own signature pedal either to be honest.

4 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nah, I'm good...I lasted maybe 20 seconds.  I just suppose that when Killers came out (1980/81?), I was probably spending more time listening to Japan and a clutch of more American orientated rock (Van Halen, Joe Perry Project/earlier Aerosmith, Journey, Styx).

Mr Harris seems a nice enough bloke, I have no issue with him whatsoever, but I never connected with Iron Maiden at all.  He's not someone who I would have put high on the list of having his own signature pedal either to be honest.

Interesting point.

What defines someone as ‘worthy’ enough for a sig pedal/bass/amp?

Funny how he’s got a signature pedal that has just come out - so he hasn’t used it for any recordings where he’s actually played bass and achieved his sound and yet we’re meant to believe this pedal will make us sound like him (who hasn’t used it either). 

Extreme chicken and egg situation - or, of course, marketing

9 minutes ago, ped said:

Funny how he’s got a signature pedal that has just come out - so he hasn’t used it for any recordings where he’s actually played bass and achieved his sound and yet we’re meant to believe this pedal will make us sound like him (who hasn’t used it either). 

Extreme chicken and egg situation - or, of course, marketing

I said pretty much the same thing at the start of the thread, although i do understand he has now used it. 

I get the feeling they got the SH moniker by putting a load of P bass players names in a hat and Steve's name came out. Going by the demos they are all variations on a theme, albeit one thats been long overdue IMO.

Im very interested in this but mostly for the two channel grain/ level, and I'm assuming the departure from the Ampeg tone. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

I honestly could not give a flying fig about the name on the pedal.

I'd never heard of Dug Pinnick before his amp and pedal came out, and never listened to a Rush album before the GED2112 / YYZ came out. Yet I bought both pedals for the tone and features they offer, and will likely do the same with the SH1 even though I've never listened to an Iron Maiden album. I guess I'm more of a Tech21 fan than a Dug/Geddy/Steve fan!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I honestly could not give a flying fig about the name on the pedal.

I'd never heard of Dug Pinnick before his amp and pedal came out, and never listened to a Rush album before the GED2112 / YYZ came out. Yet I bought both pedals for the tone and features they offer, and will likely do the same with the SH1 even though I've never listened to an Iron Maiden album. I guess I'm more of a Tech21 fan than a Dug/Geddy/Steve fan!

Agreed (and i too had never heard of Dug, and dont care for his tone now that i do know who he is), but it's what else the pedal can do that would sell me. The videos being done by Tim have shown that although the SH1 seems to have certain tone no matter what, its one I can definitely get on with. I would never use the SH tone, but i quite like the Motown and Geezer tones.