Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Steve Harris sig pedal

fretmeister

I doubt that will be the street price and if it is, it may struggle to sell. I do like the idea of it and the other players sounds it has makes it seem more intriguing.

Probably want it for the Geezer element but then again i don't think i would use it.

13 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

I doubt that will be the street price and if it is, it may struggle to sell. I do like the idea of it and the other players sounds it has makes it seem more intriguing.

Probably want it for the Geezer element but then again i don't think i would use it.

Id like to have seen Bruce Foxton on that list, but i appreciate they cant list them all.

I wouldn’t buy it purely based on the fact Tech21 had a cunning plan to include a ‘Geezer’ preset (amongst other famous bassists) in the manual. It has no affiliation with Geezer and there are other pedals out there that could probably out-Geezer this one!

The VTDI and YYZ are both great for a bit of Geezerage though, as is the Aguilar Agro!

That’s true. To be honest if I was goi g down the route of getting his sound id just try and get what he was using. I think the idea of a pedal that can give a good approximation of a few different players would be handy. Although if you were to use it in a cover band it would be handy to have presets to scroll through 

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@dave_bass5 I could listen to Tim Starace all day and I love his new band!

Still doesn't make this pedal worth £400, though 😁

Totally agree. It’s Just not,worth that sort of money. I did notice over on TB someone posted a pre order link on Sweetwater for $299. Maybe the original figure is a mistake. 

52 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Totally agree. It’s Just not,worth that sort of money. I did notice over on TB someone posted a pre order link on Sweetwater for $299. Maybe the original figure is a mistake. 

Maybe it's just me, but my biggest issue with much of the Tech 21 stuff is that it all sounds very samey. Tim Starace playing the Tech 21 Geddy Lee pedal sounds hugely like Tim Starace playing the Tech 21 Steve Harris pedal...ah well.

This is the thing with these boxes. Obviously the artist doesn’t use one, the tone, although maybe close to the finished tone the artist already has, can obviously be achieved using other means, quite often off the shelf items. 
Saying that, I can see the attraction of having something like this for recoding at home etc. 

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is the thing with these boxes. Obviously the artist doesn’t use one, the tone, although maybe close to the finished tone the artist already has, can obviously be achieved using other means, quite often off the shelf items. 
Saying that, I can see the attraction of having something like this for recoding at home etc. 

Not sure what you mean about the artist not using one - generally with Tech21 the artist does use one and road tests it personally in gigs before release

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Not sure what you mean about the artist not using one - generally with Tech21 the artist does use one and road tests it personally in gigs before release

What I mean is the artist has already got the tone, therefore they get the tone using existing equipment rather than the new box. 

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe it's just me, but my biggest issue with much of the Tech 21 stuff is that it all sounds very samey. Tim Starace playing the Tech 21 Geddy Lee pedal sounds hugely like Tim Starace playing the Tech 21 Steve Harris pedal...ah well.

Yep, totally agree, but I do find the SH tone much nicer than the Geddy pedal demo. 

6 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yep, totally agree, but I do find the SH tone much nicer than the Geddy pedal demo. 

P Bass vs Jazz Bass though, it's not a fair fight! It's too early to make comparisons at this stage, we need some demos that compare both side by side.

6 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

What I mean is the artist has already got the tone, therefore they get the tone using existing equipment rather than the new box. 

Ok I get what you mean now. For me it’s the fact that what used to be created by massive rigs is miniaturised into a very useable and portable box to get that tone, but also a palette to extend.

Reference to the tones sounding the same, that’s the ‘fault’ of demo’s out there, you can’t go into the number of variables, it would be a day long video. If we all used the same settings with the same bass, every one of us would sound different sure to our attack and playing style, and possible vastly different, they are that intuitive, plus people will to an extent sound like themselves - Patrick Hunters goonish demo’s is a bibliography in making every Pedal sound exactly the same

46 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Ok I get what you mean now. For me it’s the fact that what used to be created by massive rigs is miniaturised into a very useable and portable box to get that tone, but also a palette to extend.

Reference to the tones sounding the same, that’s the ‘fault’ of demo’s out there, you can’t go into the number of variables, it would be a day long video. If we all used the same settings with the same bass, every one of us would sound different sure to our attack and playing style, and possible vastly different, they are that intuitive, plus people will to an extent sound like themselves - Patrick Hunters goonish demo’s is a bibliography in making every Pedal sound exactly the same

I do agree with all this. My comment about the tone was really more about the character of the tone, rather than the end result sounding the same if that makes more sense. I like that the SH is not based on an Ampeg tone, which I’m personally getting bored with hearing in my preamps

Should add, my BDDIv2 is my all time fav pedal and it’s not going anywhere, it’s just that at the moment I’m bored with it. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I do agree with all this. My comment about the tone was really more about the character of the tone, rather than the end result sounding the same if that makes more sense. I like that the SH is not based on an Ampeg tone, which I’m personally getting bored with hearing in my preamps

Should add, my BDDIv2 is my all time fav pedal and it’s not going anywhere, it’s just that at the moment I’m bored with it. 

Yep - I pretty much know that with you, it’s more a generalised view I gave on sounds. Demo’s are great to give an idea, but for some pedals you have to see through the demonstrated sounds and look into what it is, to get a true idea of versatility before its badged as a one trick pony.

i also get you with enough of one based sound

• Like 2