Why become a member? ×

Combo to Mini Head conversion experiment

Jimothey

• 4 weeks later...

I started making the cab today as I got given a 12” speaker that was out of an 4x12 cab (the other three had been wrecked) so I’m just doing a 1 x 12 cab instead just to see how it sounds with the head 

As its just an experiment I just looked online for bass cab plans and settled on this one as I had some spare ply that’s big enough to cut it out of and I didn’t have to spend out getting ports etc

EC809981-5067-4BCC-86C7-4F819392CBD6.jpeg.579ff88f785afb45161a7999b910c8eb.jpeg

I’ve made most of it now just the back to cut I’ll post pics when I get back to work tomorrow.............😀

• Like 2

I did the same with a knackered Kinsman combo I got for 99p on eBay, amp was fine but the rest of the amp was totally crushed (well it was made from what looks like pressed cardboard and sawdust!) and the speaker was shot (or just bad to begin with). Looks to be the same generic amp as yours. Still need to reshell it but it works brilliantly and I was able to reuse a lot of the screws and feet to keep costs down:

Amp_Front.jpg&key=988cfd9c04d9a89b250cda

Speakon/jack combi socket looks wonky but that's just the perspective, these seem to be predrilled for a jack socket but you can easliy widen it for a Speakon.

Amp_Back.jpg&key=b19760ea169631519e44fd8

Ended up costing me a total of £6.77 to have a micro head!

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I finally got round to wiring everything up and the sound quality is surprisingly quite good on clean but it does severely lack in volume (but it’s adequate for home use) unless you have the gain switch on and it does go quite loud the problem is that with the gain on it has a really bad sounding distortion!! I think that it’s definitely not for bass but a guitar would sound ok!?!

I’m in the process of building an Overdrive pedal and a Bass fuzz pedal and if they go ok then I might build a booster which might make it sound better??............🤔

• Like 1

Mine is the dedicated bass version and it's actually pretty loud and clear for what it is, I'm running it into an little EA CXL110 with a Basslite in, I was really surprised when I first plugged it in! Assumed these would just have the same guts with a different EQ section but perhaps not.

Thinking of buying a cheap "proper" amp like a TC RH250 or something in the not too distant future.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Head, cab, pedals, boost.  You're not building a turbo-charged rickshaw on the sly are you?

Good to see you covering a variety of gear.

Damn it I’ve been rumbled!! 

The other month I just thought I want to learn something new so I thought let’s try and learn about electronics so I started reading about Ohms law and Kirchoffs laws which seemed nice and straight forward but then I started trying to learn about sine waves and sound modulation using electronics and that went way over my head the formulae and the maths involved was just too hard!! so I saw an overdrive pcb going for really cheap so I thought why not give it a go!! I’m working out what I need and how much to build a tube amp head so that will be a future project..........,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1