Why become a member? ×

Combo to Mini Head conversion experiment

Jimothey

I’ve seen on YouTube a few videos saying you can make a nice sounding head out of a crappy 10w practice amp so I thought I’d give it a go

So far I’ve dismantled my bb blaster 10w practice amp and will start making the new case for it................🤞

967AF3B2-967D-4449-8E39-752F3D09BE2F.thumb.jpeg.3e16eac19a6ab522c2e239d27a411766.jpeg

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I managed to do the opposite years ago: disconnected the head from a Laney combo after it started playing up, and connected the speaker to a new head. So I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

This going to be running along side a 2 x 10 bass cab build aswell so unfortunately till the cab is done I can’t test it? But if it works I might do it with a more powerful combo............🤔

Edited by Jimothey

I bought a nice little Oak corner unit for just this purpose.

Take an ugly little combo apart and put the parts into the nice bit of furniture - perfect disguise.

TBH though, the piece of furniture is still boxed and the combo still in one piece.

I have lots of ideas - no "get up and go".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I bought a nice little Oak corner unit for just this purpose.

Take an ugly little combo apart and put the parts into the nice bit of furniture - perfect disguise.

TBH though, the piece of furniture is still boxed and the combo still in one piece.

I have lots of ideas - no "get up and go".

I like that idea though.

Maybe a bit on the heavy side but you could then play wearing a nice smoking jacket and slippers.

• Haha 2

I managed to skive off work a bit this afternoon so I made a start on the head casing

93E639BF-2B6C-4031-AE22-2488D1A7DCDF.thumb.jpeg.237a8103ea1e7c37ac67c0a33093ebc8.jpeg5544C3A2-2067-42B7-9B63-587B60E7624A.thumb.jpeg.654e0cca5128074b369589a490d12ec0.jpeg

I was going to do it rounded on the top edges but after looking at it I’ve decided not to and I’m going to mitre the corners instead

I think I’m going to do the face in Beige speaker cloth and Black carpet on the outside to match the cab............😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

You see....that's where people with vision have something I never will have ;)

When I first saw it, I was in the 'isn't that a bit big?' camp.  Then, when the outer thick ply sections went on, I was in the 'Yes, that really IS too big!' camp.

And now it has the covering on, I'm in the 'Wow!  That looks SO right!' camp.

So no marks for me on my vision capabilities, but I reckon maybe 8/10 for my flexibility of opinion? ;) :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Thanks @Andyjr1515 I was starting to think ‘yeah I think they are right it is way too big!!’ But then as it progressed I thought it’s kinda got the look of a vintage tube amp about it, which to be perfectly honest was more luck than judgement??............😳

Shush! You don't say things like that. What you do now is produce a set of working drawings from what you've actually made and then tell us all that you ended up with what you set out to build 😁

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Si600 said:

One of our lecturers, not being a fool, insisted on a full project with drawings before you were allowed to start cutting metal.

A fella I used to work for was a stickler for planning the job to the minutest detail before you start, the amount of times he quoted the 6 P’s at me (Perfect Planning Prevents P iss Poor Performance Blah Blah Blah!!).............😀

Edited by Jimothey

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

One of our lecturers, not being a fool, insisted on a full project with drawings before you were allowed to start cutting metal.

That's directly at odds with how repair drawings were generally made for one-off repairs to aircraft when I wore overalls.

The drawing office would arrive, just after the basher (sheet metal-worker) had finished riveting up a skin patch, with tracing paper.  The repair would then be signed off and published as if the draughtsman had come up with it.

@Jimothey - Si's suggestion is sound.  In a few years time, after Rickenbugger's lawyers have taken down BC for looking sideways at one of their genuine basses once, people will believe that you designed everything and built from the drawing board.