Why become a member? ×

How often does your band rehearse?

davegriffiths91

On 08/10/2019 at 15:28, Nicko said:

So last practice ended up with half an hour playing songs I haven't had time to learn properly.

This seems familiar.

We used to practice for 3 hours 1 evening a week, but then I joined another group where I practiced on a different evening (one we never used), so then the guitarist got a job which gave him only one day (at random) through the week so we would miss a few weeks, and a few friday gigs had to start late. Then he got a fixed day, which was the day I was practicing with the other group, so then we didn't practice at all for 6 months (but still gigging ever week almost), now he has changed that job, so we should be practicing again soon. The only difference is we haven't added any new songs in that time.

Different outlooks on life and what's important. Don't know what age you are so difficult to judge your reply against my own circumstances.

Each to their own and i have no probs with old mates that still do the weekend pub thing without fail.

Dave

Just had my first ever practice yesterday mainly, sorting out shortlist of numbers, who'd sing which and how we'd tackle them, plan is weekly sessions working on our own parts in between. I'd never heard of two of the numbers until a week ago and one is pretty obscure but I've the bones of a bassline worked out, needs work but quite interesting.

On 08/10/2019 at 19:28, DJpullchord said:

Don’t you guys get sick of the songs, running through them again and again?

It’s bad enough gigging, let alone more repetition of rehearsals. 

You betcha!. It was a key reason why I've quit playing many times over the last 30 years before coming back into it again. I enjoy playing at outdoor summer festivals but not the rest of it. I find rehearsing as tedious as regular work

We all have lives and two of us have kids, so we only practice once a week. However, given the complexity of the material and the fact that it's all original, there is an expectation that we all do homework. We have a dropbox with a folder for every song, typically the original demo, MIDI tracks, most recent practice room recording etc, plus everyone has a random riffs folder that everyone can delve into, so there are no excuses. Unfortunately, the person with the most free time is also the person with the most excuses so this doesn't always work that well. Writing may be be appearing on the metaphorical wall.

We prob do 3 a year when we need to learn new songs. We gig very regularly so don’t really need to rehearse to keep it slick. 

When we do rehearse however it’s work not a social and we usually achieve what we need to.