Why become a member? ×

First bass - a short or long scale?

lemonstar

I was reading about the short scale not being as popular as it once was but the article seemed to be saying they are worth considering because of the lower tension, the playability (I think because the frets are closer together) and a sweeter tone high up the neck - the only real bass player I know (plays in 2 function bands, is a multi-instrumentalist, conductor, arranger, accompanist, etc) never seems to have any strong opinions about anything - active/passive basses - he just "plays stuff" and really doesn't seem to think too deeply about anything!

Any thoughts? I played a couple of used basses in a local guitar shop (they didn't have many) but I'm a guitarists (acoustic mainly) who suddenly had the urge to start playing bass - mainly because I want to start making some proper home recordings of the songs I've written over the last 12 years.

This tension thing is related to the strings. It is up to you to decide the string thickness that affects the tension. IF the short scale bass has similar strings as her taller sister, the tension is lower on a shorter scale. But the string choice is up to you. This may help while finding a suitable set.

http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

• Thanks 1

Most of us use long scale because generally the tone is better and the tuning more accurate. I’ve had both, lots of them. The size of your hands may also be a factor, if they’re small you may get on better with short scale but it will severely limit your choices of instruments. Nearly all the “classic” basses (Fender etc) are long scale.  Short scale tend to be for niche markets, but back in the 60s when British bands ruled nearly everyone played short scale, as the only options - Hofners, Epiphones and Gibsons, Fender was not fashionable for a while. But then the circle went round and it seems everyone today wants the P or J bass (or a clone thereof) as you may have noticed watching pro bands or reading this forum.

• Like 2

I'd like to offer my two bucks worth...I've been playing for about 2 years and tried out loads of basses before settling on a Medium Scale Fender. Its a very rare thing I'm told? Made in Japan and strung with Labella medium flats it gives the Jazz tone I'm looking for. It's a 32 inch scale. I measured it the other day. The fingerboard is 38mm shorter than a 'standard' Jazz and 50mm shorter than my new Musicman Sterling Ray 4 BUT at the 5th fret it's only 11mm shorter. So not such a big advantage as I thought it might be playing down low'. It's a Sunburst 62 Reissue. I am selling her if you're buying. I've got quite wide shoulders (so the girls say) and can play a bit better now and want a 34inch Jazz now. Open to a decent swap.....D

In fact, if you are anywhere in the vicinity of a Bass Bash you can try all sorts of basses and talk to a load of folk who know their stuff in a far less freaky atmosphere than that of a music shop surrounded by people who are interested in a sale rather than you finding a bass you really like. One of the brilliant things about this forum and the Bass Bashes is that since I’ve been a member every time I’ve entered a shop to buy something I am fully informed with brilliant unbiased info and can make my choices with a wealth of BC knowledge behind me. Go to a shop or a Bash try out everything, discuss any issues on here with the vast hive mind of experts and then buy a bass from the BC marketplace where you’ll get a much better bass than you may be able to afford if you bought it new...

...I sound like a fanatic don’t I? It’s just BC has completely, top to bottom, revolutionised every aspect of my bass playing experience. I wish I’d had access to something like this when I started out but, there were steam engines then, weren’t there.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2019 at 18:19, TheGreek said:

Don't talk to him....he's one of them...

OK, maybe just a little bit....but watch what you say 😉😉

It's a very strange realisation I've had - I think I've only really been listening to half the music most of my life - wanting to play chords on an acoustic or electric guitar and write songs I've definitely not been tuning in to the bass parts anywhere near as much as I should have - it just hit me recently thinking about making full recordings that I really needed to think about the bass and it's been a revelation thinking about how much more interesting the songs are going to sound. I don't expect it to be easy though - I'm listening to the bass playing on everything now - it's a whole new world to me.

On 08/10/2019 at 20:33, jezzaboy said:

Where in the world are you? I have both long and short scale basses that you could try out and see what one suits you if you are in the West of Scotland.

And the fact that they are both for sale has nothing to do with it :ph34r: :D

Scotland - I love the place - I'm up twice a year (will be up more if I can fund a camper van) but I'm between Crewe and Stoke-on-Trent - a long way off sadly but thanks.

On 08/10/2019 at 20:34, Frank Blank said:

In fact, if you are anywhere in the vicinity of a Bass Bash you can try all sorts of basses and talk to a load of folk who know their stuff in a far less freaky atmosphere than that of a music shop surrounded by people who are interested in a sale rather than you finding a bass you really like. One of the brilliant things about this forum and the Bass Bashes is that since I’ve been a member every time I’ve entered a shop to buy something I am fully informed with brilliant unbiased info and can make my choices with a wealth of BC knowledge behind me. Go to a shop or a Bash try out everything, discuss any issues on here with the vast hive mind of experts and then buy a bass from the BC marketplace where you’ll get a much better bass than you may be able to afford if you bought it new...

...I sound like a fanatic don’t I? It’s just BC has completely, top to bottom, revolutionised every aspect of my bass playing experience. I wish I’d had access to something like this when I started out but, there were steam engines then, weren’t there.

I didn't know about the Bass Bash - I had a quick look but I don;t think there's one coming up near me any time soon - I'm half way between Crewe and Stoke-on-Trent so Birmingham or Manchester - even Leeds or Sheffield (as I visit those places because my daughters live & study there atm) would be in range - I really wanted to get playing in the next 3-4 months.

I learnt on long scale basses starting about '84.

About a year in I visited a recording studio 'somewhere in Wales' and spent an afternoon jamming on a Fender Mustang bass.

Last year, maybe 33 years on, I tried out a Jaguar short-scale and WHAM there was that easy, relaxed playability which had become a sort of half-remembered myth in my memory. I don't feel that sound-wise they are inferior in any way.

Watch out as some ss basses  are different, I know not why, someone gave me a go of their Gibson EB2 a few weeks ago and it wasn't to my liking (but they love it), felt like a baseball bat to me...

I still love playing my long scale basses, in fact the thing I like best is how they ALL feel different which affects how and what I play on them.

18 hours ago, lemonstar said:

I didn't know about the Bass Bash - I had a quick look but I don;t think there's one coming up near me any time soon - I'm half way between Crewe and Stoke-on-Trent so Birmingham or Manchester - even Leeds or Sheffield (as I visit those places because my daughters live & study there atm) would be in range - I really wanted to get playing in the next 3-4 months.

There will be a Midlands Bass Bash again next spring, last May was my first one and it was great to meet so many kindred spirits.

Find a shop that has a Good selection of basses.

Sit down, and play through a bunch of them.

Objectively review them, what you like, what you don't like, how they feel, how they sound (ok, this one is very subjective!).

The point is to try out a bunch of different basses, and eliminate ones that don't float your boat, and find things that you like.

If one speaks to you more than the others, take the plunge.

Don't worry about styles, scales, pickups etc., just try to find something that suits you.

• Like 1