Why become a member? ×

Flying with a bass - it's in a Mono gig bag

BassAgent

So I'm going on tour to Vienna, Prague and Nürnberg this Thursday and I had a choice with the airline: either buy an extra seat (which would be kinda expensive) or check it in as "special baggage" for a smaller fee. I did the second thing and now I'm doubting: I have Mono M80 gig bag (the classic one) and I think the bass will survive, especially with the string tension off. I have to do the other gigs by train so carrying a big flightcase might be a bit of a hassle... Are there people here that have experience with flying a bass in a Mono gigbag or something similar?

I’m no expert but there is no way I’d be putting my bass in the hold in my M80. I got a dent in my Wal using it on the tube...

Also regarding string tension. I’d leave it as it is. Reckon loosening them off would be worse for the neck as the truss rod would be straining against nothing...

... I’m sure someone who actually knows what they are talking about will be along in a minute though 😕

• Like 2

One way to minimise the chance of damage is to take it with you to the boarding gate and hand it over at the last minute, as families with baby buggies do. Reverse the process at the other end collecting it as soon as you land.

As a matter of interest, where are you playing in Prague? My son lives there and is always up for seeing a band from the UK. He's a skinny string player himself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BassAgent said:

So I'm going on tour to Vienna, Prague and Nürnberg this Thursday and I had a choice with the airline: either buy an extra seat (which would be kinda expensive) or check it in as "special baggage" for a smaller fee. I did the second thing and now I'm doubting: I have Mono M80 gig bag (the classic one) and I think the bass will survive, especially with the string tension off. I have to do the other gigs by train so carrying a big flightcase might be a bit of a hassle... Are there people here that have experience with flying a bass in a Mono gigbag or something similar?

I've had an M80 - a great gig bag for urban use but in no way a case that is designed for flying (as anything other than a passenger on the next seat).  Depending on where you are, you're very welcome to borrow my Hiscox (I'm in Manchester).  Again, not ideal and I'd prefer to use a full flight case but the Hiscox is very strong and light and far more protective than a M80

4 hours ago, Drax said:

this

I've had 2 of them.

1 - none of my decent gig bags (Mono M80/Protec Contego) fit inside without removing all the foam from within the shell case.

2 - The mk1 would have the clasps come undone in transit.

3 - The mk2 (with the strap) would not ever stay closed.

M80 is a fine soft bag, but as its name implies, it is soft. I was in Zürich earlier this year and this is how the hard case looked like after the trip.

The airline company bought the case.

The case was made to the bass, shapes and all, and the instrument survived. Case did not.

(Actually the case looks quite good in this pic, but in real life it was hard to open and close the thing. Aluminum was seriously bent, feet were gone, and hard plastic parts were all over.)

20190527_193711.jpg

3 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I've had 2 of them.

1 - none of my decent gig bags (Mono M80/Protec Contego) fit inside without removing all the foam from within the shell case.

2 - The mk1 would have the clasps come undone in transit.

3 - The mk2 (with the strap) would not ever stay closed.

That's interesting. I saw it used with a regular gig bag, and extra foam inserts, seemed ok but maybe they got lucky. You sound like you've tried and tested though - and the iseries does look so much more secure. 

Folks on TB have talked of carrying bass on in light gig bag and asking it be kept in the 'captains cupboard' or something. Maybe that's just US internal flights where you can chance that. 

4 minutes ago, Drax said:

Folks on TB have talked of carrying bass on in light gig bag and asking it be kept in the 'captains cupboard' or something. Maybe that's just US internal flights where you can chance that. 

IME there's not a chance on easyJet or the like

7 minutes ago, Drax said:

the iseries does look so much more secure.

and the bonus:   iSeries has WHEELS   :)

yes I know the ATA bass case does too....but I mean iSeries is secure AND has wheels

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 1

You can also wear a gig bag upside down so it looks like a backpack and keep your back away from the check in staff. With any luck they’ll think it’s a backpack and let it go in with you as carry on. Don’t know what happens if they catch you though!! 

3 hours ago, ped said:

You can also wear a gig bag upside down so it looks like a backpack and keep your back away from the check in staff. With any luck they’ll think it’s a backpack and let it go in with you as carry on. Don’t know what happens if they catch you though!! 

Hahahaha that would be an awesome trick to pull!

I've arranged my bass to go as "special luggage" and can borrow an SKB Bass Safe from a friend :) Wheels!

I bought an SKB Bass Safe and use it for flying with a gig bag. A Vertigo will fit inside with the foam removed, otherwise most padded soft bags will go in. I’ve also seen people put a gig bag in a keyboard hard case. I love my Mono bags (I have more than 10), but if you value your bass at all, do not check your bass using one. 

• 3 months later...
On 08/10/2019 at 07:42, Drax said:

You could, take off the neck and put whole thing in a suitcase surrounded by clothes. 

I heard this is not good for the bass and that it would need a set up everytime you put it back together. 

Anyine have experience with it and wants to share? 

Thanks! 

It's not bad for the bass, but yes you would need to be comfortable doing your own set up - not the dark art many fear it is. 

Probably not what you want to be doing regularly to something high end or vintage, but if you had the money for that, you'd have the money for a proper flight case :)

• Like 1

Taking the neck off only works if your bass has a bolt-on neck. Not all of them do you know.

I've travelled with a guitar in a gig bag that got put in the business class suit locker. However I was travelling business class and smartly dressed, plus I arrived at the check-in with moments to spare, so even if the cabin crew had wanted to put my guitar in the hold there wasn't really enough time and it was simpler for them to let me to bring it on board into the cabin. IMO that's too many variables, and I certainly wouldn't want to risk being able to do that again.

• Like 1