Why become a member? ×

Endpin rubber do-dah

51m0n

Hi db experts!

My son's db has gone through a bunch of rubbery endpin floor protector things now. It's all getting very tedious.

Can anyone recommend one that will fit a larger endpin that will protect a floor and last more than an hour or two?

Ta!

11 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

I've been on the same journey!!

I've found this to the best on wooden floors:

https://www.thomann.de/be/rdm_floor_protection_black.htm

20191008_101419.thumb.jpg.c0fa0e5f57fdfaf05178cb13413b177c.jpg

The material that the endpin fits into is metal and therefore durable.

Whilst this is great, the issue is its for a 15 year old and he will not remember (best will in the world) resulting in knackering the floor at home when he is practicing. I know this to be true, it is absolutely guaranteed. Trust me! The only way to protect the floor is to have something permafixed to the db that under no circumstances could be removed, forgotten, missed with the spike or in any way lost...

1 hour ago, DaveFry said:

Well blow me down, I've never heard the rubber doohickey described as a ferrule. You live and learn!

The right one of these with a 5p piece dropped down it might be exactly the right thing. Great shout! Thanks :)

• Thanks 1

Chaps, thank you all!
I knew I could rely on you lot to have figured out this stuff already, brilliant stuff!
I never realised the db was in fact a very ornate walking stick, having been under the impression it was in fact a very ornate canoe...

You live and learn :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I played without anything on it for ages because I got so sick of trying things (one of those Wolf jobs that was too small, various rubber bits and bobs including nicking door stoppers from various places). Finally found a supply of walking stick ferrules that go on and stay on from Ebay. Can't understand why it had to be so damn hard to find something suitable for a fatter endpin when people are falling over themselves to overcharge you for any other bit of double bass related kit!

• Like 1

Just bought a new bass that looks like it is fitted with a walking stick end. It's rock solid in terms of avoiding slippage, but it creaks really loudly on solid floors. And as I found out on my first gig with it this weekend, the Lifeline pickup actually amplifies the creak!   

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I have an odd-sized endpin that regular double bass endpin rubbers & balls don't seem to fit on, however I eventually found some 'cello' endpin rubbers on eBay, direct from China, that are super cheap, very, very durable & long-lasting, and fit my endpin perfectly!
Check out the dimensions, & see if these may work for you? I keep them in my eBay 'watch list' permanently now so I know which ones to re-order, however I'd say one rubber will easily last me a good six months or so.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pieces-Cello-End-Pin-Rubber-Tips-Caps-Hold-Tool-Cello-Replacement-Parts/282913080277

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 21:47, TheRev said:

I use wolf balls too.

The problem is that they're in short supply because you only get two per wolf....

:sad:

More seriously....I was having real difficulty with the endpin of my EUB wearing through the rubber foot and then the whole thing sliding around all over the place on the tiled floor of the venue where I play with the Saturday Morning workshop band.  The solution?  Floor Mat from an old Ford Fiesta. Perfect size. End-pin one end of the mat, left foot the other end.  Sorted.

Edited by mangotango

22 hours ago, mangotango said:

The problem is that they're in short supply because you only get two per wolf....

I have a carefully managed captive breeding programme. By the time I wear through two balls, two more are ready to harvest.

• Haha 1