Why become a member? ×

What preamp?

Kaytwoso

I use the Eden WTDI pedal - I have the matching amp head (WTX264), I have the same settings dialled in on both,  so dependent upon if I'm taking the amp or DI-ing, I have the same preamp.

I use the DI preamp pedal at open mic night & go through the PA so I don't have to cart the amp & speakers about. :)

It works for me and I love the sound :)

If I'm using my own amp, I just use the preamp that's built into that.

If I'm not, I've a Hotone B-Station. My reasoning: I wanted something with a midrange control for as little money as I could get away with. The Behringer BDI-21 had been fine, but I felt like I was fighting the mid-scoop the whole time. The B-station also has a drive circuit and compressor, which put it in the same ballpark as things like the EHX Battalion, and I was able to get my hands on a B-station for a good price. I've been pretty pleased with it so far, though I've yet to try it out in a live setting.

Kemper running channel strip profiles - typically SSL,, Neve, Focusrite and Chandler.

I seem to much prefer the desk strips to "bass specific" pres...  and that is where I would be looking if I were to ever move from the Kemper.

Staying in the digital world, I also love the little HX Stomp. Very versatile and in a small box with a few added toys. What's not to like?

• Like 1

I have an Ampeg SVP-PRO, SVP-CL, SWR Grand Prix and an EBS Microbass II. The SVP-PRO is my favourite, with a host of classic Ampeg tube tones, a versatile EQ and plenty of drive at the turn of a knob if I want it. It's basically the preamp section of the SVT2PRO in a single rack space. The SVP-CL is the preamp section of the SVT Classic and maybe even better than the PRO, with less bells and whistles and the ability to produce a fairly flat and uncoloured tone too, but I just really enjoy the drive of the SVP-PRO. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

Yep, I run an SVP-Pro too. It's a great pre. I used to have an SVT-IIP, which is the front end of SVT II,  and that was okay, but nothing like as alive an SVP-Pro. And I use fairly clean settings on it. It's just nice and musical. 

I also have an Alembic F1-X, which is a Fender Showman clone, that's cool too.

I sometimes run the Ampeg through the FX loop of the Alembic, there's some real deep, fat and glassy overdrive down there. 

Edited by bigjohn

At the moment I’m using a Helix Stomp. It offers me quite a few pre amps, along with all the effects I’ll ever need.

Ironically I’m using it as a BDDI at the moment, because my BDDIv2 is my all time fav preamp. Ive also got a Q/strip that I never use these days, but it’s been sold and brought back, so I guess that’s a keeper now. I’d say it’s more EQ than preamp, but I have used it direct in to a power amp. 
Also very happy with my TC Electronics Spectradrive, although again, the Stomp has made that redundant as well. 

I've had a Fender TBP-1 for around ten years. It's a very versatile 1u pre-amp with tube overdrive and  the classic fender tone controls. I've tried allsorts over the years including SVP-pro and Alembic F1-x, not to mention several Mesa Boogie heads but i keep coming back to the fender for it's lovely rounded tone.  It's coupled to a QSC PLX 2402 power amp and Mesa 410 and 210 cabs.  

If you can find one, I'd try a Warwick Hellborg PR40.  I've been through countless pres, all with their benefits and plus-points, though it's the Hellborg pre that I've found to have the qualities that I prefer.  It's super clean, very responsive and has an extremely fat, almost slightly compressed tone.  It offers a sort of produced gloss to pretty much any bass that you use with it.  Horrendously expensive when released (around £1800 I think) but they pop-up occassionally at more reasonable prices.  Indeed, I think there's one on BC now (certainly on e-bay for around £400?)