Why become a member? ×

Overdrive pedal recommendations

Friskydingo

Shedloads!

The Fulltone isn't widely used these days, because it does drop a bit of low end and there's so much more choice out there for bass nowadays.

It would help to know if you are after a smooth/mellow/squishy drive, or a tight/cutting/agressive one.

Can of worms... oh dear. This is so personal thing that I suggest you to take your bass with you and walk to stores to test as many as possible. My trial took around ten different units before I was happy with the results. Then I changed the bass to a hi-Z ("passive") one and - started the round all over again.

OK I'll narrow the choice with some papameters;

Play in rock covers band playing the likes of qotsa, the hives, typical pub rock

Less than £100

If it can go fuzzy, than that's a bonus not a necessity 

There's not much choice near me so it would mean just buying and selling again, which can get expensive 

TC Mojomojo at the budget end. 

Or if you want everything under one bonnet from mild OD to full fat fuzz, with great retention of low end, pick up a used SA Aftershock for around £90

Actually both pedals retain low end well and added to in the case of the AS by providing a clean blend.

Job done 😉

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

If I had to choose only one pedal alone out of everything I've owned to tackle rock covers, it'd be my VT Bass DI. It's very versatile and will nail QOTSA 'No One Knows' or The Hives 'Hate To Say I Told You So'! You can find used examples of the older non-DI version well under the £100 mark.

I also highly rate the Mojomojo, but only if you're after vintage tones. It puts out a big fat dark thud that sounds killer with flatwounds, but will leave you wanting more brightness for more modern rock.

At the cheap end I’d add the TC electronics Spark Booster to the list. I find it to produce quite a natural open sort of tone, with a nice drive when pushed. 
The Joyo line have some good drive pedals as well. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Hartke VXL Bass Attack version 1.

Wont get all out nasty fuzz, but will give an overdriven sound and punchy sound.

Bombproof, run of 9v or battery, DI to boot second hand £50-80, change in your pocket for penny sweets and pork scratchings followed by pop and crisps 

1 hour ago, Friskydingo said:

I can't find the source audio used or for under £139

I've just checked the FS, you're right they've not been coming up that often - just 2 listed this year and went for £75 to £90 posted. Folk are obviously holding on to theirs (and I know one of the two sellers who sold his AS has since replaced it and sold his HX Stomp instead!).

If you put an ad up in the "Items Wanted" section you may flush one out.

I’m fiddling around with the danelectro blue paisley right now, and I’m liking  it, but I’m looking for a cheaper alternative. ($200us)

I'm going to pick up a boss sd-1 as soon I stop by Guitar center. They tend to sell used for around $25 us. And there are usually several in the case. 

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive is a great budget choice. If you shop around you can pick one up for under £50

This. I had one a while ago and replaced it with a DHA VT2, but it was very good before being superseded.

edit: there’s one one eBay at the moment: BIN of £55...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303256568314

Edited by paul_5

And just to show how wildly opinions differ, and therefore why the only true path is to try these things out - I found the Ashdown to be one of the worst pedals I've ever had! I even bought it twice in case I got it wrong due to so many positive opinions!

23 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

By what tones your describing you want. Sounds to me as if your looking for something that replicates a tube sound. So i would agree with Dannybouy and say VT Bass wuld be a good shout.

I would like it but £190 is a little out of my price range. I'll try to find the non DI version 

17 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

It would help to know if you are after a smooth/mellow/squishy drive, or a tight/cutting/agressive one.

This is the nub of the question, I'd say: is the pedal going to be used for fat, fuzzy tones to thicken up your bassline, or do you want it as more of a boost to make your solos audible?

If you're after a soloing pedal, I'd recommend the Ibanez Bass Tubescreamer every time.

If you just want to fuzz up your basslines, you could do a lot worse than the Bass Big Muff (or clone of the same). I know it's technically a fuzz, but it certainly allows you to get dirty tones without sacrificing bass frequencies - heck, mine even has a bass boost option if you need to overcompensate!

• Thanks 1