Why become a member? ×

Helix HX Effects vs Stomp vs pedals

41Hz

9 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

It is still a fair bit smaller than an LT, and I am in a 6 piece band, where quite often I don’t get much stage space.

The MC6 allows you to label all the switches similar to the scribble strips on the full helix.

I can understand why you would go for an LT instead of this, but to be honest for me it was all about space, and this is extremely compact.

It also makes for a nice small modular system,. If space was at a premium you could at least just take the Stomp. Then there is a huge difference in size. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

I can understand why you would go for an LT instead of this, but to be honest for me it was all about space, and this is extremely compact.

Seems a bit big from my POV, maybe it is just a scale thing. and clearly its not very deep, so that is good. Our needs are all different. I couldn't imagine playing a 6 piece in most of the places we play! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/10/2019 at 11:40, Woodinblack said:

I love the size of the stomp but I would need more pedals so it is more faff and then you are back to the same space, issues, so for me the HX is perfect.

Be interested in why you would need more pedals. Were you simply meaning more footswitches as I thought the available effects on the Stomp and HX FX were the same, but the Stomp just had amp & cab sims on top. If I've got that wrong and the HX FX does have a bunch of additional effects, that would be another good reason to consider the HX.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Be interested in why you would need more pedals. Were you simply meaning more footswitches as I thought the available effects on the Stomp and HX FX were the same, but the Stomp just had amp & cab sims on top. If I've got that wrong and the HX FX does have a bunch of additional effects, that would be another good reason to consider the HX.

Dont forget the Stomp has up 6 blocks, the FX has up to 9 in a patch. All effects sims are the same though, and both have all.

I had my Stomp set up with 5 available footswitch but it was a pain, as I then had no Bank up/down control, and no clear indication the last two blocks were on or off. It also meant two boxes and an extra cable. The FX is so well laid out (and thought out) for live use it makes more sense to get this if you are just replacing or running as a pedal board. You can still plug the usual expression pedals in if needed, but at least you arent getting a box larger than needed due to the LT having one built it. 

At least this was my reasoning for getting the FX. 

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Actually I suspect that I meant more switches (its a while since I wrote that). But I do have more than 6 blocks in use, in my standard patch (I have 8, although rarely all at the same time) so even if it did have more buttons I couldn't use that. I couldn't use it the way I use it comfortably with less than 6 buttons (plus tuner), so any size bonus of the stomp is cancelled out by the fact I have to have aanother set of pedals, and then connect that and power it.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Were any of you tempted to get something like this to deal with with the lack of  cab sims on the HX FX?

@mcnach I vaguely remember (I think it was) you who had a thread on amp and cab sims a while back and that you tried out a couple of the more recent offerings?

Not a problem for me, I have an amp so don't really feel the need to have a sim..

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That would seem to take care of the issue and save me £100 on a very neat Mooer pedal.

But how easy is it to load in IRs? 

Very easy. You do have to use the software but you just copy all the IR's to a section in the main window and they get stored on the Helix automatically. You then just select the IR block on the pedal (or in the Edit software), and turn a knob until you find one you like the sound of. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Were any of you tempted to get something like this to deal with with the lack of  cab sims on the HX FX?

image.png.b26477ef4e8204ad056824b324dc241d.png

@mcnach I vaguely remember (I think it was) you who had a thread on amp and cab sims a while back and that you tried out a couple of the more recent offerings?

I bought the Mooer and the NUX Solid Studio. I wanted to use them for recording but I haven't done a lot of that... so I still have both, with minimal use, and I don't know which one I prefer. I liked that the NUX had a lot of the controls as physical knobs and that I could load my own IRs (I had talked to a guy in a local studio to capture my BF Two10 using different microphones). I like the Mooer because it's tiny and has a very powerful EQ section with HPF and LPF.

Live, I've had a DSM OminCabSim DeLuxe for a couple of years now on my big pedalboard. I use overdrive a lot on that one (got 3 separate overdrives) and I use the DI on the OmniCabSim so that the overdriven bass doesn't sound fizzy.

This is the NUX:

nux-solid-studio.jpg

lrm3x26beot8qorocgin.jpg

• Thanks 1