Why become a member? ×

Helix HX Effects vs Stomp vs pedals

41Hz

I’m not really a pedal nut, but I’ve joined a band where I’ll need a few effects.

I was looking at the HX effects vs the Stomp and think the FX would be better for me on the basis that......

+ The FX has a decent number of foot switches, the stomp would be tricky to use live

+ I’ll be going straight into my amp rather than PA and am happy with the sound, so I don’t think I need the amp/cab models?

Just wanted to check these assumptions are correct? I’m wondering if the amp sims are useful to get some of the overdrive sounds, or if I can manage with the FX?

Also I have a zoom b1on that was great fun to play around with at home, but went it came down to it the best sound I got out of it when it was in tuner (bypass) mode.

Is the helix a significant step up in sound quality over the zoom, if it isn’t would I be better getting a few standalone pedals?

Thanks,

Edited by 41Hz

If you're not interested in the Amp Modelling technology, then the HX FX would be the best option IMO.

One of the benefits is that you can keep your current set up, and just use the HX FX for effects, as you've been using the Zoom. Another benefit is that the list of modeled effects is still growing, so if you keep the unit updated with the latest firmware, then you should have a relatively limitless supply of effects on tap to play with.

If that's something of a "Sledgehammer to crack a nut" approach, then maybe look at something like the Zoom B3/B3n, the Line6 M5/9/13, or something like a Boss GT-10B. Older technology, but they still work.

• Thanks 1

On 07/10/2019 at 10:09, 41Hz said:

I’m not really a pedal nut, but I’ve joined a band where I’ll need a few effects.

I was looking at the HX effects vs the Stomp and think the FX would be better for me on the basis that......

+ The FX has a decent number of foot switches, the stomp would be tricky to use live

+ I’ll be going straight into my amp rather than PA and am happy with the sound, so I don’t think I need the amp/cab models?

Just wanted to check these assumptions are correct? I’m wondering if the amp sims are useful to get some of the overdrive sounds, or if I can manage with the FX?

Also I have a zoom b1on that was great fun to play around with at home, but went it came down to it the best sound I got out of it when it was in tuner (bypass) mode.

Is the helix a significant step up in sound quality over the zoom, if it isn’t would I be better getting a few standalone pedals?

Thanks,

Ive got a few Zoom pedals (B3n, B1-on, B1 Four) and yes, the Helix stuff is step up. They seem to have more depth and life compared to the Zoom stuff.

Just wanted to point out that with the Stomp and a cheap 3rd part duel foot switch (about £11 on amazon) you actually have 5 foot switches available, and these can be used to turn on and off 5 effects'.

Still not a match for the HX Effects, but might be worth thinking about it if you want to save some money and space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I did pick up an HX effects at a pretty good price and the shop was happy for me to take it on a 14 day trial.

I am wondering however if I’m missing out not having the amp modelling in the stomp?

The HXFX is £50 cheaper, has 8 vs 3 Footswitches and 9 vs 6 blocks. Currently I’m using my GK MB212 onstage, but if I went amp less in the future couldn’t I just use the HXFX preamp sims, Darkglass, Sansamp etc., to go into the mixer, possibly with cabinet IRs if needed?

...or do the stomp amp sims really outshine the preamp effects I already have on the HXFX?

Edited by 41Hz
  • Like 1

Difficult to say really. I went for the Stomp for the size more than anything else. I’d have loved the FX as I dont need the amp sims, but it’s much larger than i care for. I like that I have the amp sims if needed but do miss having more footswitches.

Personally I don't think you are missing out on anything at the moment, assuming you can make use of more than 3 foot switches, and there is enough in the FX to still allow you to go direct to the desk. Like you say, you still have preamps like the BDDI, which were designed for this sort of thing anyway. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

I have the HX, really for the me the pedals in one unit is what I wanted and I didn't need the amp sims. The plus side is the number of effects (and yes, I have used them all!). I love the size of the stomp but I would need more pedals so it is more faff and then you are back to the same space, issues, so for me the HX is perfect.

Well, what would be perfect would be a full helix in the HX size, which I am sure we will get in a few years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have the HX, really for the me the pedals in one unit is what I wanted and I didn't need the amp sims. The plus side is the number of effects (and yes, I have used them all!). I love the size of the stomp but I would need more pedals so it is more faff and then you are back to the same space, issues, so for me the HX is perfect.

Well, what would be perfect would be a full helix in the HX size, which I am sure we will get in a few years.

If the Effects had headphone out I’d be swapping over  to it today, now I realise I could make more use of the extra foot switches. I use my Stomp almost everyday at home for headphone practice, and I can’t give that up. It’s overkill for that use, but combined with the live use it’s almost perfect. 

7 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

If the Effects had headphone out I’d be swapping over  to it today, now I realise I could make more use of the extra foot switches. I use my Stomp almost everyday at home for headphone practice, and I can’t give that up. It’s overkill for that use, but combined with the live use it’s almost perfect. 

I think you can set the output level on the HXFX to line out, if you did this and had a suitable cable to convert from the mono line out to stereo headphone socket, I think that could work, you'd have to make sure you had the level low enough in the global settings - will look into it.

17 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

I think you can set the output level on the HXFX to line out, if you did this and had a suitable cable to convert from the mono line out to stereo headphone socket, I think that could work, you'd have to make sure you had the level low enough in the global settings - will look into it.

Please don’t lol. 
I’d need a stereo feed to the headphones, a short  cable will work for that, and the ability to pass a stereo signal from my iPad though unaffected. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Just tried it and it worked a treat, obviously only worked in one ear, but wouldn't be difficult to modify the cable so the mono signal was in both ears. For the ipad aux in, I guess you could just use the return sockets - though might not end up true stereo when it goes back to the headphones

Edited by 41Hz

33 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

Just tried it and it worked a treat, obviously only worked in one ear, but wouldn't be difficult to modify the cable so the mono signal was in both ears. For the ipad aux in, I guess you could just use the return sockets - though might not end up true stereo when it goes back to the headphones

Thanks for trying all that. It does sound very promising and definitely food for thought. 

15 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

I think it could be possible with the routing options to use it in the same way as the stomp with stereo aux in from your iPad mixed with the mono signal from the bass. But I’m not fully up to speed with the routing options

No problem, thanks for looking in to it. Now go and enjoy your new toy 🙂

7 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

What effects do you actually need? I had a HX FX and it was overkill.  I only ever used distortion, chorus and compression. 

It's a great box but I ended up selling it and using my individual pedals. 

Pretty much as above, plus the pitch shift, octaver and the tuner, that’s still 6 pedals so the hxfx should still be a smaller cheaper solution than pedals.

5 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

Pretty much as above, plus the pitch shift, octaver and the tuner, that’s still 6 pedals so the hxfx should still be a smaller cheaper solution than pedals.

Exactly what i use as well. Nice to be a bit future proof when it comes to pedal GAS though.

8 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

Go for it, it's a decent pedal that will cover all of the above. 

On 18/10/2019 at 22:05, Crawford13 said:

I would recommend the stomp, and if you feel you need more switches get an MC6 . I have a stomp,MC6 and mxr volume mini on a pedal train nano + and I’ve never looked back.

4DD37FFD-C8F8-4245-8C58-804BA0D35BBC.jpeg

Can confirm. Stomp and MC6 here too. What a great combination!

On 18/10/2019 at 22:05, Crawford13 said:

I would recommend the stomp, and if you feel you need more switches get an MC6 . I have a stomp,MC6 and mxr volume mini on a pedal train nano + and I’ve never looked back.

45 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Surely a Helix LT would have saved you the extra expense?

I must admit, looking at the size of that, I am wondering why not get the LT? It wouldn't have been much difference in price, and although less deep it is probably the same width but without needing the pedalboard.

For me the problem with the stomp is the switches, as in general I use my HX like an effects pedal, one patch with a set of 6 effects that are switched on and off depending on what I am playing. The stomp doesn't have enough switches and once you stick that box on the side of it it is too big (and you have to remember what the switches are).

Well, and the number of blocks is not good for me to use it in the way I use the HX.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

For me the problem with the stomp is the switches, as in general I use my HX like an effects pedal, one patch with a set of 6 effects that are switched on and off depending on what I am playing. The stomp doesn't have enough switches and once you stick that box on the side of it it is too big (and you have to

It is still a fair bit smaller than an LT, and I am in a 6 piece band, where quite often I don’t get much stage space.

The MC6 allows you to label all the switches similar to the scribble strips on the full helix.

I can understand why you would go for an LT instead of this, but to be honest for me it was all about space, and this is extremely compact.