Why become a member? ×

Lighter weight bass

Baxlin

Why not playing sitting ? This is what I'm doing as I have a severe back injury (66% crippled because of this).

Otherwise, you'll also need a very large decent strap or a duo strap (if you are not too tall or large).

Check headless basses : they are often lighter and way more ergonomical.

20 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Spectorcore?? I have to keep mine in a case to stop it floating off. Not sure whether they're available fretted.

I believe there are fretted versions too. Nice basses and a great suggestion :)

The extra weight of the frets allows them to remain grounded even on an instrument stand ;)

On 07/10/2019 at 03:49, Cato said:

Hofner violin basses have a reputation for being a couple of pounds lighter than the average Precision.

Not sure if that applies to copies by the likes of Harley Benton etc.

Hofner Contemporary Series basses (Chinese made) are several pounds lighter than a P-bass.

Hi, bit late in on this one. I have severe back and shoulder issues now and moved from my usual bass, a Fender Jazz Bass to a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass. Great bass, crafted in Japan with a very fast neck and best of all it is very light and causes me no problems. I bought it on this very forum. Worth checking one out.

Just thought of another lightweight - the Fender MB4 and the Squier equivalent.  I had the 5 string version, the Fender MB-5, and that weighed 7lb on the nose so the 4 string will be lighter.  The Fender ones, at least, are pretty good basses - MIJ, very Jazz like.