Why become a member? ×

Lighter weight bass

Baxlin

As I’m getting older, I’m finding all my basses to be uncomfortably heavy:  they are an Epiphone EB3,  an old Marlin Sidewinder and a 335-style semi-acoustic.

I borrowed an Ibinez last week, so much lighter and more comfortable, so apart from this, any suggestions for a fretted 4-string please, not going mad price-wise!

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

The ibanezes go from ridiculously cheap to pretty expensive, so if you found them comfortable to play, might be worth going for something like that. Note they also do go from light to very heavy.

Quite a few of the squiers / fenders have quite light bodies.

Other than that there are chambered basses but they start getting quite expensive.

Do a search on BC there are several threads about lightweight basses. Im recovering from a back injury, so I've been looking into lightweight basses, I currently have an Ibanez gsr180, upgraded the tuners, electrics and pickups and now it plays, feels and sounds great, and is lightweight - probably a smidge over 7lbs.

Yamaha rbx's are also lightweight and very easy to mod.

Any hollow bodied bass will be lightweight.

Short-scales are often fairly light (obviously really).  I had a Danelectro Longhorn (one of the cheapish re-issues) and it was incredibly light - maybe 5.5lbs.  Very easy on the back and a dream to play.  I have no idea why I sold it

I have two Maruszczyk Jake 5's (a P/J and a P/MM) and they both weigh only 7lbs (they are both chambered - not all of them are), which is why I bought them. They look 'traditional', so if you don't want something 'modern' looking that might be the way to go.

• Like 1

This one might surprise you, but: Gibson Thunderbird.

If I've not picked mine up for a while, I'm always amazed by how light it is. You wouldn't think it for a bass which needs a 5ft-long case, but the awkward shape is misleading.

If you're looking to keep your budget tight, I hear good things about the new run of Epiphone T-birds (the "Vintage Pro" seems to be the series to go for) - if the weight is comparable to the Gibsons, you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Sire M2 Gen 2 is very light. I have a 5 string (blue with maple f/b). My son has the same but 4 string version. Around 7lbs I'd say. No neck dive which can often come with lighter/smaller bodies and at under £300 for the 4 it's a great bass for the price.

My one and only bass is an old Peavey Milestone 3. Weighs around 3.3Kg (7.27 pounds). 4 string, passive, jazz bass type pickups, long scale. Comfy sculpted body and zero neck dive thanks to exended top horn. Plays and sounds great, and frequently to be found s/h for £50-£100 on gumtree and the like. Not for gear snobs, but otherwise hard to beat imho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earbrass said:

My one and only bass is an old Peavey Milestone 3. Weighs around 3.3Kg (7.27 pounds). 4 string, passive, jazz bass type pickups, long scale. Comfy sculpted body and zero neck dive thanks to exended top horn. Plays and sounds great, and frequently to be found s/h for £50-£100 on gumtree and the like. Not for gear snobs, but otherwise hard to beat imho.

I had an old milestone 3 from late 90s, had a plywood body, weighed over 9lbs. 😪

Danelectro or Hofner. 

I have a Hofner Club bass as I don't like the Beatles association of having a violin bass. It's only the cheapest out of the three levels but is closer in construction to the real deal than the mid priced one and sounds great, really great. Its so light that band mates have picked up the case to load it and question if it's empty. 

Likewise I have a Danelectro Longhorn that I love but it does feel fragile, unlike the Hofner. It also sounds great but in a different way. 

Brand new Hofner Clubs should be sub £300 too (maybe even as little as £250) which a fantastic price for such a great bass. 

Actually thinking about it now, I have a Gretsch Junior Jet, which weighs about nothing, short scale, really big sound, very cheap. Same as the bloke from Royal Blood played before fender threw lots of free basses at him (actually still uses in one song). 

I take it along to every gig as a backup, that or the hofner B2V, because it is easy enough to take in case. 

Fender Precision Lyte? Japanese build quality, PJ pickups , 34” scale and thin jazz neck with a Strat sized body. All 3 of mine are around 7lbs. Still a bargain on the s/h market at around £350 and upwards, depending on condition.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently purchased an '82 Ibanez Blazer for not much money. It's light as a feather and plays really nicely - a simple p bass copy pretty much.  I'd also really recommend the Nanyo Bass Collection series. I've got a couple(from the 80's and 90's), and both are so easy to play and light as a feather- get one of the active ones and you'll love it. Depends on the music you make and the 'look' you're trying to convey though as they're entirely different styles.

I’m a bit late for 'the look' I’m afraid!

'Blinding flash of the bloomin' obvious' warning........

I used my EB3 this morning, but with a borrowed strap, wider and more padded than any of mine.  It was quite a bit more comfortable, so I think that will be my first purchase.

Edited by Baxlin

2 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

I've recently purchased an '82 Ibanez Blazer for not much money. It's light as a feather and plays really nicely - a simple p bass copy pretty much.  I'd also really recommend the Nanyo Bass Collection series. I've got a couple(from the 80's and 90's), and both are so easy to play and light as a feather- get one of the active ones and you'll love it. Depends on the music you make and the 'look' you're trying to convey though as they're entirely different styles

Doesn't the Blazer have a solid ash body? I wouldn't say any ash bodied bass is light as a feather.