Why become a member? ×

5 string help!

joe_bass

I've come to the conclusion now that my 2003 Thumb 5 is definitely going to have to go due to the problems with my wrists. It's not getting better & the chunky neck just means it flares up a lot quicker. So looks like it will be out of here. Which will leave me wanting a replacement 5 for it.

I'd like to spend around £500 SECOND HAND, ie. I'd like as much as poss for my money! :) I would be willing to up the amount if something really caught my eye though.

Not many requirements: just that it's a 34" scale, not a wide or chunky neck & that shape wise it's nothing wacky!

As for possible ideas so far....

Spector: with help from Cetera I've found out that pretty much any Spector 5 string [i]made before 1999[/i] is a 34" scale
Ibanez
Yamaha
Warwick: older models, before the chunkiness came along, I appreciate I'd have to up my budget for this though.

So impress me guys! :huh:

EDIT: oops didn't make it too clear! Question is what might you recommend!!

Cheers

Joe

Edited by joe_bass

Although you say it has to be 34" i would say it might be worth looking at a 35" Lakland 55-01.
I sold mine for £380 recently on here and this is about what others have been going for.

The necks are wonderful if you can get on with the 35" scale. quite flat and very fast.

Edited by dave_bass5

Look out for a Status Groove - lovely thin and flat neck, 34" scale and looks very normal!

EDIT plus, 2nd hand prices are normally £250-£350 so you'd have money left over and you'll get a helluva lot of bass for the cash you do spend :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='372925' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:59 AM']Although you say it has to be 34" i would say it might be worth looking at a 35" Lakland 55-01.[/quote]

I played a Lakland 55-02 in GAK a few months back, the only thing holding me back was the scale though. I've got quite small hands so hence not considering over 34".

G&L L2500?

You might be lucky and find a US for that or alternatively a Tribute should come in within budget easily.

Obviously try first and possibly the neck might be a bit wide, but my hands & wrists hold up OK despite arthritis.

EDIT - actually looking at respective specs perhaps not as the L2500 neck width at the nut is 44.5mm compared to 45mm for the Thumb

Edited by WalMan

[url="http://statii.com/status_cats/catalogues/3/index.html"]Have a look here[/url] for the Status catalogue page on the Groove. But if you're not wanting another MM type bass it's prob not for you :huh:
There is a link somewhere to the old Status website with a little bit more info, but I can't find it right now :)

[quote name='Merton' post='373023' date='Jan 7 2009, 01:17 PM'][url="http://statii.com/status_cats/catalogues/3/index.html"]Have a look here[/url] for the Status catalogue page on the Groove. But if you're not wanting another MM type bass it's prob not for you :huh:
There is a link somewhere to the old Status website with a little bit more info, but I can't find it right now :)[/quote]

I think the "oldsite" has been taken down now, Martin. Pity, as it was an excellent resource if you new it was still there :huh:

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='373191' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:07 PM']Hehe, thanks for the extra picture of my new bass, Bruno!

Rich :)[/quote]

I was damn sure you were going for a 2nd hand Streamline...........

Now that would have made me very jealous

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='joe_bass' post='373195' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:14 PM']You should get some sound clips up. :huh:[/quote]
Click on the CDbaby linky in my sig and listen to "If I" - that was my old Groove 5 going thru TE V-Type (miked up).

I make no apology for the cheesy music :)