Why become a member? ×

The ones that got away...

Kiwi

On 07/10/2019 at 03:29, Kiwi said:

Tell us about the bits of gear you nearly bought but didn't and then regretted it later.

There have been a few!

During the time Wal's were out of fashion I could have picked up so many! While I was browsing, one guy came into the Bass Centre and was trying to offload a mk1 Wal for £300. They didn't want it!! I should have jumped on that one.

Martin Kemp's JG leather scratch plate mk1 was for sale in the Bass Cellar Denmark Street. That was the best sounding bass I've ever heard. They wanted £1000, which I thought that was too much. I'm still kicking myself.

Various pre CBS Fenders have passed me by.

• Like 1

The morale of most of these stories is 'Don't Wait!'

I have a tendency of impulsive buying... if the bass doesn't pan out then you can always sell it on. 

I have a short list of basses I wish I never sold, but on the flip side, had I not sold them I wouldn't have the basses I now have which I will not sell! 

My main regrets are selling these ones:

Jean Baudin's PacMan 9 string Conklin 

The Nordstrand NX6

A lovely Spector US NS6XL

When I first got my CIJ mustang I had serious GAS for an original 1966 one in Daphne blue with lollipop tuners - basically the JMJ sig. I saw one advertised in good condition which I could have bought for £600. I didn't feel I could justify the cost to the missus. It'd be worth a lot more these days. I have a JMJ now which cost half as much again and is a fantastic bass, but it would have been good to have a 'real' one with a little less roadwear.

Off topic slightly, but I do think that if I had a superpower I would wish for being able to realise things in advance rather than with the benefit of hindsight. I could apply this to so many aspects of my life...

I got my 1975 Rickenback 4001in 1988 for, £675.  I tried and turned down the chance to buy a 1960's EB2 for less than £500 (liked the bass, didn't love it) and had I wanted it there was a choice of two at the same price (in the Bass Centre in Wapping, which also had some double neck Rickys, and loads of Wals).  The second hand shops in Denmark Street would ask prospective Precision buyers whether they wanted pre-CBS or not because they usually had them in stock, and you couldn't give away Fenders from the 1970's because everybody knew they were awful.  But eyebrows were raised at the ridiculous prices being charged for the pre CBS ones: £200 or more on top of what you would pay for a new one!  Who's got that much money to waste?

Macari's sold me a 1978 Marshall Super Bass II for £200.  They simply had a pile of Marshall valve heads, you went in, asked for guitar or bass and 50 or 100 watts, and took what they gave you

Maybe it's because that was my teenage years so everything seems a bit golden from this distance, but it does seem to be the ideal time when second hand guitars were sold for second hand prices, and nobody seemed to be snapping them up as investments

• Like 2