Why become a member? ×

Quilter BB800/802. why, other than size?

dave_bass5

Okay I was of topic(usualy is)

sory!(still ment ewery word)

‘BB800/802 why other than size’

(gues i’m not the only one getting carried away of topic

D...,just Happy that im still a’Live

on the werry Cool, or to be clear

Funky! Forum)

so the BB800 part of the thread is done, (ám I right???)so from here of there is

kind  of only the 802 left to talk about(I GUES?)

-acording to thread title.

does the BB802 have that xtra juice for slapping da passive Bass all Night & all???-

(Roughly said/asked)

Annyone with BB802 expirence?

Edited by potato bass

• 2 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:49, la bam said:

I had a look at the 802, a little frustrating... although no doubt itll be a great amp.

Why they've done a jack DI out and not an xlr baffles me. An xlr would have been perfect. Yes, it does the same thing, but you'll be forever carrying a jack to xlr cable around or a jack to xlr adaptor. I get it with the stomp as it was to keep everything small and compact, but I'm sure they could have fitted an xlr on the 802.

Shame they didnt keep faith with the 2 eq dials, but I suppose the 802 is for people who have tried that and found they were missing that extra eq for mids and high end control.

In all honesty I love the 2 dial eq more so than the 4 band ones.

I've had lots of amps with useless eq (markbass with no real mids) and lots with loads of eq bands (9 band ashdown etc) and the 10 channel eq pedals on the stomp, but nothing has been easier then the bb800. Needs more character and drive (turn gain up), needs more depth and bass (turn depth up), sound needs smoothing out (turn contour clockwise) sound needs brightening (turn contour anti clockwise) so much easier than trying to work out what frequencies need adjusting - I just always found that led to a never ending ordeal or turning dials endlessly until I fluked upon what was needed.

I do like what they've called the eq settings on the 802 though - kind of makes sense when your looking for what to change in the sound.

Sorry am I being stupid but is this not an XLR out on the 802?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/quilter_bass_block_802_bass_head.htm

No. The xlr socket on the back is for an 'IN' (for preamp etc). That's what makes it a bit daft to me. They could have made that space a xlr DI out and had a jack for pre amp in.

At the moment the DI out is on the front in jack form.

48 minutes ago, la bam said:

No. The xlr socket on the back is for an 'IN' (for preamp etc). That's what makes it a bit daft to me. They could have made that space a xlr DI out and had a jack for pre amp in.

At the moment the DI out is on the front in jack form.

Ah yes, I am being dumb as usual :)

And you're right - that is a bit of a home goal isn't it! Hmm - that does seem pretty stupid!

23 hours ago, thebassist said:

Ah yes, I am being dumb as usual :)

And you're right - that is a bit of a home goal isn't it! Hmm - that does seem pretty stupid!

Mark Bass used to insist on putting one on Most of their heads years ago, but dropped it when they realised hardly anyone ever uses it. I think it’s more for upright players who use pre amps. 

Edited by dave_bass5

• 1 month later...

I’m thinking about getting a bb802, and am wondering how does it sound at lower volumes? I hear a lot about how good it sounds when cranked but in all honesty my band is pretty quiet and 800 watts is probably overkill for me.

Sounds great at any volume level. The gain is independent from master volume, so you can get very loud and clean or very quiet and overdriven. The louder you go, just dial the gain back.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1