Why become a member? ×

Quilter BB800/802. why, other than size?

dave_bass5

I have a Thunderfunk and while there are 17 knobs and buttons on the front of mine I only use Gain, Timbre , Volume and have the Tube button pressed in. The rest are at 12 o'clock. From posts on Talkbass this seems to be a fairly standard approach to using the amp.

I have just bought a BB800 and am still a/b'ing it with my TH500, AG700 and T'funk. Jury's out at the moment.

Just now, chris_b said:

I have a Thunderfunk and while there are 17 knobs and buttons on the front of mine I only use Gain, Timbre , Volume and have the Tube button pressed in. The rest are at 12 o'clock. From posts on Talkbass this seems to be a fairly standard approach to using the amp.

I have just bought a BB800 and am still a/b'ing it with my TH500, AG700 and T'funk. Jury's out at the moment.

It's the temptation to fiddle that's my problem...... 

Less knobs = less temptation 😊😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

Super refreshing to get someone not immediately shouting that their latest shiny thing isn't the best thing since sliced bread, before moving it on 6 weeks later...

The TH500 is a bit rarer from what I can tell, but I'd be very interested to get your candid thoughts on how well it stacks up against the AG700, being a more mainstream D class.

3 hours ago, AlphaK said:

Super refreshing to get someone not immediately shouting that their latest shiny thing isn't the best thing since sliced bread, before moving it on 6 weeks later...

I've had my Quilter BB800 for at least a couple of years.  My opinion of it has only got better.  :)

Frank.

1 hour ago, machinehead said:

I've had my Quilter BB800 for at least a couple of years.  My opinion of it has only got better.  :)

Frank.

And even more excellent when folk spend time and really get to know their gear and how to get the best out of it! 

The BB800 is maybe not for slapping all day on your passive

Bass, but still it has the best Sound 

I’ve ewer  heard on a “micro amp” werry meaty & cuts thru the mix

Reggae, Blues, Rock Music.

if you wanna do somthing hardcore you might

need án active Bass / or some pedal

Mine is a Keeper! 

The Sound is Really Good!

Edited by potato bass

First rehearsal with my new Fender rumble head. Same room ive been using for months. It was like night and day compared to the BB800. The band noticed it straight away. A lot more authoritative and with a nice low end kick. Filled the room with low end much better than the BB800, and the upper notes had the punch i was told the BB800 would give me, but didn't.

Its more coloured, but i think this is what i needed to get the F112 sounding bigger. Still clear, but with a depth to it i hadn't had since my GK. A lot more tone options as well.

Horses for courses i guess. I sometimes think playing with a pick brings its own problems that finger style doesn't suffer from.

Edited by dave_bass5

26 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

First rehearsal with my new Fender rumble head. Same room ive been using for months. It was like night and day compared to the BB800. The band noticed it straight away. A lot more authoritative and with a nice low end kick. Filled the room with low end much better than the BB800, and the upper notes had the punch i was told the BB800 would give me, but didn't.

Its more coloured, but i think this is what i needed to get the F112 sounding bigger. Still clear, but with a depth to it i hadn't had since my GK. A lot more tone options as well.

Horses for courses i guess. I sometimes think playing with a pick brings its own problems that finger style doesn't suffer from.

By contrast I bought a Fender Rumble combo and couldn't get a sound I liked out of it.  Quilter bass block, for me, out of the box, 5 mins fiddling and I was as happy as Larry. :)  Also a pick player.  Horses very definitely for courses - optimum tone is one of those things that is just so subjective :)   

3 minutes ago, Paul S said:

By contrast I bought a Fender Rumble combo and couldn't get a sound I liked out of it.  Quilter bass block, for me, out of the box, 5 mins fiddling and I was as happy as Larry. :)  Also a pick player.  

Interesting - I think it maybe the combination with the cab (and bass). The Fearless F112 is an awesome cab. It's better than my BF SC (which is no slouch by any means!) no question, in terms of overall quality of sound and articulation at every range of the spectrum i.e. lows, mids and highs, but the F112 happily drinks power and needs pushing to get the best out of it.

6 minutes ago, Paul S said:

...optimum tone is one of those things that is just so subjective :)   

Now you're being far too reasonable (again). Surely there is only one right bass tone? 😂

9 minutes ago, Paul S said:

By contrast I bought a Fender Rumble combo and couldn't get a sound I liked out of it.  Quilter bass block, for me, out of the box, 5 mins fiddling and I was as happy as Larry. :)  Also a pick player.  Horses very definitely for courses - optimum tone is one of those things that is just so subjective :)   

Mine is just the 800watt head, going in to a Fearless F112, not the combo.

Agree, we all like different things, lucky my band also hated me using the BB800 😉

There is some “few” people that

have expresed that they have a hard time fidling a good sound out

of the bb800, for me & I gues most other users it has been like

the most easy thing to do,.

Dave5Bass it sounds a bit strange

to me, you coment how good it sounds & wauw stof, & then not mutch more than a month later

you sell it(not for you) and later

you say the band hate it?

what kind of music did you play at that time?

& what Bass were you playing at

the time?

Edited by potato bass

New gear is always 'the best ever', when you first get it, but once its been tired and  tested in the right context, you get a proper understanding of it.

If you read my posts in this thread, i said i was really happy with it and couldn't wait to gig it. I then sold it after the gig, so no, not strange at all. I never said it was great or any thing like that as far as i can see, I just said i was happy with it so far, and i dont think i even mentioned the sound or tone, other than i commented it was clearer than my GK, and definitely not as being great. You ned to read a bit more carefully so you dont get the wrong idea.

Still, its that last bit that didnt work for me, and the band noticed this as well. It was not a tone i cared for or felt worked well. Various Fender type passive basses were used, playing general covers. I record all my rehearsal and gigs, and it definitely sounds lacking something in all of them compared to with other heads.

Should also add, ive had private chats along the way with other members, so although i didnt post any of these concerns ion this thread, it wasn't an instant decision. In fact i started a returns action with Thomanns a week after i got it, but held off as i was still trying to give it a chance.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, potato bass said:

Ok Dave

sorry if sounded á bit negative

I gues i did.

just thougt it was á short period

you hat it to get familiar with it

my mistake 

cheers

No problem, i didnt mean to sound rude, just wanted to clear things up and not come across as anti-Quilter.

It sounds like you are testing

a’lot of gear Dave

sorry if it’s of topic? Were is this going?

you shut try the 2DI4 from 

Sonic Farm, the sound of it is

just Insane! It’s the best thing I

ewer heard, I belive it’s

The Holy Grael((Werry Pure!))

2DI4 has taken my playing

to á new Lewel

(You Band wil Love it-*_*)

Edited by potato bass

27 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

basically don't listen to any of @dave_bass5's recomendations until unless he's had the thing for at least six months? :D

At least.....and even then don't listen to me lol

My issue is i don’t gig much, or at least haven't been, and rehearsals aren't too regular. Ill get something but might have to wait a few weeks to try it out with the band. As we know, most, if not everything sounds great at home. Then it depends on the room we rehearse in. These are the only times i get to tinker with things in a band environment. Could be by the time i gig i have realised its not for me (as in the case of the BB800). I went through two heads over the past 12 months that never even made it to gigs. 

For me being comfortable at gigs with my tone is the top priority. It might not be a great tone by other people's standards, but if I'm constantly thinking i need to adjust this or that, i feel its not the right thing to own. The other night with the Fender was the first time in months i just plugged in, left most of the EQ on the amp at noon and just enjoyed the rehearsal. This to me says i have found the right combination......for now. 

Potato bass. Thanks of the recommendation, but i cant see me ever spending that sort of money on a box of 'magic dust' 🙂

I know what you mean Dave, being happy with onstage tone makes a difference to me too, even though all my gigs go FOH via my Para Driver, so I know the audience are getting what I want them to hear. At the end of the day I want to enjoy gigs as much as possible and having the onstage sound spot on really helps in that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

At least.....and even then don't listen to me lol

My issue is i don’t gig much, or at least haven't been, and rehearsals aren't too regular. Ill get something but might have to wait a few weeks to try it out with the band. As we know, most, if not everything sounds great at home. Then it depends on the room we rehearse in. These are the only times i get to tinker with things in a band environment. Could be by the time i gig i have realised its not for me (as in the case of the BB800). I went through two heads over the past 12 months that never even made it to gigs. 

For me being comfortable at gigs with my tone is the top priority. It might not be a great tone by other people's standards, but if I'm constantly thinking i need to adjust this or that, i feel its not the right thing to own. The other night with the Fender was the first time in months i just plugged in, left most of the EQ on the amp at noon and just enjoyed the rehearsal. This to me says i have found the right combination......for now. 

Potato bass. Thanks of the recommendation, but i cant see me ever spending that sort of money on a box of 'magic dust' 🙂

Funny I feel the complete oposit

than you-

I allways think my amp whatewer it is sounds better with band, or on gig than at home(thoug 2DI4 does both perfect)I gues its the more wolume/heft wen im out)

it’s unposibol to say how an amp

will act live, wen you have had no Gig or Rehearsal with it

some amps can be monster at gig/rehearsal but not at home

& some great at home but thin

at the gig & ewerything inbetween exsist

for me the 2DI4 is perfect

at home & at gig

spending monny on Magic Dust?

I rather spend á Good deal of monney on gear twice the price

Witch is thougt thru and with good

components,than spend the same amount of monney on twice as mutch gear.(from china?)

It’s simple & more rewarding in the

long run.-(you will love your gear)

(just my opinon)

Edited by potato bass