Why become a member? ×

Humming Amp Problem

Hutton

I have a Laney all-valve 15 watt guitar amp. It has been a good servant over the years. About five years ago a friend re-valved the amp. For some reason it then had a background hum which it never had before. It is loud enough to be obtrusive. As I now exclusively play bass I just left it in the cupboard. My son however really likes the amp so I am trying to get it sorted. Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong.

Haha, I have NO excuse commenting on this, but from my just about zero experience with amps, I'd guess at leaky caps, or a dodgy ground. You can poke in them with one hand and a wooden stick to see if noises change, but they'll kill you if you lick the wrong bit.

Probably safest to give it to someone who has an isolation transformer and can diagnose it safely.

Is it a 50Hz hum, or does it vary in any way, like the angle between the amp and the microwave? :P

My home built amp was fuzzy till I poked a wire with the wooden chopstick and found the dry solder joint.

Right I'll leave that guess there till someone with *actual* electrical knowledge comes along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1