Why become a member? ×

A(nother) english in Scotland

caitlin

Hello.

I'm afraid I'm a drummer, I've been doing that for decades and a long time ago I thought learning a bit of bass might help my band's rhythm section stuff work a bit better. I have no idea if it did or not because I'm not playing with a band, haha.

I mainly play a Roland TD-30KV at the moment, but I have my Gretch Maple Renown tubs packed up ready for the next time I get to be really loud.

Anyway, that's not what we're here for. I've now had TWO bass lessons and can nearly name the notes inside the stave on the bass clef without sweating. (I'm avoiding tab and trying to learn some theory)
I'm playing a JHS 'Vintage' 4 string at the moment. It's a bit sad really and has crackly pots. That wouldn't usually be a problem for me to fix, but it's an active bass and they're soldered directly to a board in the cavity which I think is glued in!

I'm trying to talk myself into AND out of buying a Cort Action 5 string but don't know where that will end up yet.

For better or worse I've started recording myself to hear how bad it sounds and HOPEFULLY to hear some improvement over time. I don't know if I can post what I've got because it's using Trinity backing tracks off their grade 1 exam stuff.

So yeh, hi!

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Caitlin.

Regarding your crackly pots, there is a sub-forum where you can locate fellow members who may be in a position to help:

BCers Prepared to Help Fix a Bass

In that sub-section, Repairs and Technical, there are other useful areas to explore.  Happy hunting!

Thanks, I'll have a rummage in there. I've tried blasting them through the holes in the back of the pots with switch cleaner and wiping the pots from end to end and that gets them working flawlessly for a time, except one which feels a touch *gritty* so I think the track on that one is truly spent :/

It would be much easier to tear into if I got that other bass, because I'm dependent on this one working to play it. :P

• Like 1

Greetings and welcome.  I'm the other way around, a Scotsman (actually, a Northern Islander) living in England, although I'm fast getting fed up with the noise and bustle so maybe for not much longer.

A little squirt of contract cleaner might well cure the pots, although take care not to get any on the finished surfaces of the instrument.